Vintage cue/shaft question

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What vintage era, high quality cuemakers used a threaded pilot to screw their ferrules on to the shaft? I have a vintage cue with shafts like that...ivory ferrules, very high quality construction. Has a threaded insert into the end of the shaft (like a tenon) that the ferrule screws onto.

Thanks,
Joe

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
What vintage era, high quality cuemakers used a threaded pilot to screw their ferrules on to the shaft? I have a vintage cue with shafts like that...ivory ferrules, very high quality construction. Has a threaded insert into the end of the shaft (like a tenon) that the ferrule screws onto.

Thanks,
Joe

palmer and paradise did this.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Thanks,
Joe

I'm pretty sure my 68 Joss and my 71 Szamboti had threaded ivory
ferrules,not an insert but just the shaft threaded at the end.
I had the ferrules cut off because I prefer 57 inch cues....
and I hate ivory ferrules...a personal deflection preference.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any others?

I would like to hear from TATE on this.

Are you asking about removable ferrules?

If you are refering to the notorious 'screw on' ferrules,started
by Paradise<one of his many sins> and continued by Palmer<one of
their fewer sins>as an option to avoid the need to carry a second shaft,
I don't know of Viking doing those ferrules.

Viking's standard method for an ivory ferrule was to thread it onto
a 1/4 x 20 stud that protruded out of the end of the shaft<one of their
many sins>

Dale<living sin free, cuewise that is>

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen that one Spain and Hercek cues, too. Not removable ('thread on') ferrules, per se, but glued onto a piece of threaded rod which served as the tenon.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've seen that one Spain and Hercek cues, too. Not removable ('thread on') ferrules, per se, but glued onto a piece of threaded rod which served as the tenon.

That is what this one was...not removable, but glued onto a threaded rod which served as the tenon.

Joe