Several questions about rules

vratner

Registered
I'm relatively new to the game of pool, even though I've played on and off for the last decade or so. I've been to many bars, played at friends' houses, but only in the last few months I've gotten serious about playing after getting my own pool table. Now it seems though as anywhere I go, everyone is playing by different rules. I mean, I don't mind "adjusting", but would still like to know the "official" ones, if you will. Here's a couple of questions that I have:

1. I was under the impression that after you break and pocket one ball, it’s still an open table, and you still have to get another ball in (of the same kind) for them to be yours. Now, I’ve heard from various people, that if you got one ball in on the break (or two of the same kind), they automatically become yours. Is that true?

2. Consider the following scenario: I break… Didn’t get any balls in. My opponent’s turn. He pockets one ball, but scratches the cue ball. Is it still an open table?

3. Similar, but slightly different scenario: I break… I pocketed one ball (or two of the same kind), but I also scratch the cue ball. Is it still an open table?

4. Again, similar, but slightly different scenario: I break, pocket 2 balls, one striped, and one solid. It’s still my turn, and it’s an open table. I pocket another ball, but again, scratch the cue ball. Is it still an open table?

5. Does “ball in hand” mean that you can place the cue ball anywhere on the table? Even after the break if you scratch the cue ball, or does it have to go behind the breaking line in this case?

I guess most of the people here play by APA rules, so that’s what I’d like to hear. Thank you in advance for all your help.

-Vlad

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess most of the people here play by APA rules, so that’s what I’d like to hear. Thank you in advance for all your help.

-Vlad
The APA rules, while used in APA events, are not used by most people and certainly are not used by pro players or anyone in an international event. There are many parts of the APA rules which are broken. The APA rules are available on the APA web site http://www.poolplayers.com/8-9-ball-Rules.pdf

The World Standardized Rules are available on the WPA website at http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/the_rules_of_play While not perfect, they are generally agreed on for pro and international play. The BCAPL rules, which are based on the WSR, have extensions and explanations for league play that you might find useful. You can get your own copy at: http://www.playbca.com/Downloads/Rulebook/CompleteRulebook.aspx

The answers to your questions depend a little on which rule set you adopt. In general, you have to legally pocket a ball to claim a group. In some rules, you have to have called the ball you pocketed to claim a group.

vratner

Registered
Thank you for your reply. I've read APA rule book from cover to cover over the weekend (8-ball, as I don't play 9-ball at all), but it doesn't really answer my questions. Hence the post. Now, most of my rules "knowledge" comes from my brother-in-law, who lives in Louisville, Kentucky, and plays in the local league. They play by APA rules, and when I asked him questions above, he wasn't sure. Again, hence the post. I'm not planning on turning pro any time, but I was thinking about joining the local league in the near future (Rochester, NY area). I just want to perfect my game a bit, and that in turn requires some knowledge about rules of the game. I just don't want to seem completely clueless when I start talking to people. Plus, when I have some friends over, or play by myself for that matter, I'd like to play by the "official" rules, as opposed to made-up ones. So once again, thank you for your reply and provided links, but I would also like to get some additional input (answers to my individual questions would be very helpful), specifically from people with APA league experience. Thank you.

-Vlad

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm relatively new to the game of pool, even though I've played on and off for the last decade or so. I've been to many bars, played at friends' houses, but only in the last few months I've gotten serious about playing after getting my own pool table. Now it seems though as anywhere I go, everyone is playing by different rules. I mean, I don't mind "adjusting", but would still like to know the "official" ones, if you will. Here's a couple of questions that I have:

1. I was under the impression that after you break and pocket one ball, it’s still an open table, and you still have to get another ball in (of the same kind) for them to be yours. Now, I’ve heard from various people, that if you got one ball in on the break (or two of the same kind), they automatically become yours. Is that true? No, that is not true, except in APA or bar rules. Your impression is the way it is played in most leagues and tournaments that are not APA.

2. Consider the following scenario: I break… Didn’t get any balls in. My opponent’s turn. He pockets one ball, but scratches the cue ball. Is it still an open table? Yes...still open table until a called ball is legally pocketed.

3. Similar, but slightly different scenario: I break… I pocketed one ball (or two of the same kind), but I also scratch the cue ball. Is it still an open table? Yes, the table would still be open.

4. Again, similar, but slightly different scenario: I break, pocket 2 balls, one striped, and one solid. It’s still my turn, and it’s an open table. I pocket another ball, but again, scratch the cue ball. Is it still an open table? Yes...still open table.

5. Does “ball in hand” mean that you can place the cue ball anywhere on the table? Even after the break if you scratch the cue ball, or does it have to go behind the breaking line in this case? Depends on the game (9ball is anywhere, 8ball is usually in the kitchen after the break. Some leagues play b-i-h after the break in 8ball too. After the break, all fouls are b-i-h, anywhere on the table.

-Vlad

Vlad...MOST people here do not play by APA rules. Most of us play by either the world standardized rules that Bob Jewett referenced, or the BCAPL rules, which are mostly the same, with some small exceptions. While APA is the largest league, their rules are aimed at beginning players (I was an APA league operator, and have been a BCA instructor for 25 yrs, so I am familiar with both sets of rules). Serious players almost always play by (what I call) the "real" rules. Hope this answers your questions. :D

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Last edited: