I remember....

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Joe Layton....a good snooker player from Timmins area...they called him Blueberry Joe
up there 'cause he would pick blueberries in season and bring them to market.

When he moved to to Toronto, he became known as Joe the Butcher, 'cause he tortured
a lot of good players....he played slow and cautious, would hook you to death, and
then make a big run when you left him a shot.
He only played for small money, so some said he didn't have much heart.....
....but not around me.

Joe went to Europe for a vet's reunion in the 70s....he was one of the Canadians that
fought a great fight....a movie was made about that conflict...I'm not sure whether it
was A Bridge Too Far or The Bridge at Remagen.....

...but Joe Layton had a lot of heart.

Rest in peace, Joe.....one of our brave vets

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I remember....

Donald McFadden....
He was training for the Olympics as a gymnast...quit to join the war effort ...WW II.
Donald was a brilliant fighter...became All-Forces boxing champion...
...he was so good...they wouldn't let him go to the front lines...
...told him...you're doing much more for us training these men so they can live.

When the last bunch headed for France...Don and four others ...the toughest men there...
...stood on the dock as the troop ship pulled into the Thames....
....and cried like little babies....they were warriors that wanted to fight.

I took him for his last trip to the hospital....an operation for an aneurism....
...they told him he was only even money to make it...he said he wasn't afraid to die....
....but he wanted to live without the threat.

Rest in peace, Donald McFadden

Marbles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes R.I.P Mr. McFadden, when he ran the room, it was simple....just do as he says! All he would have to do is give me a certain look and that was that.........I completely understood. One of the finest.