Suggestions on a good solid hitting cue?

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was given a McDermott G201 for Christmas in 2012 and it was a great cue for the price. However it wasn't for me and I sold it after trying it out for a month or so. Taking the money I got from it plus a little extra I have set aside looking to see what is out there.

I have around 350$ to spend I would prefer not to go over 300 but if it's necessary I can. My only preference is that it comes with a LD shaft. I've never used one before until playing with the Gcore and a handfull of guys at the local pool hall let me try theirs and i love it.

Right now I'm interested in the OB123 model with an OB1 shaft but there are no dealers in my area and no one I know has one so I can't really get the chance to try it out before committing.

So if anyone out there has a suggestion or even a cue they're looking to get rid of that plays nice is in good shape and has a simple but classy look to it then I would welcome any suggestions or offers with open arms.

Palm071

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Cues

For around 350 I like Allen green cues. Cues hit solid as are nice. Mike Erwin cues and Patrick cues hit good also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 939
Last edited:

taemin952

XiaoTing Pan's Soulmate
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Schon BW1

Please view my signature and see if anything I have interests you. I can email pics. MINT. Else, good luck the sale! :)

ZiggyLee

I Love This Game!!!!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
My thoughts are

I think that Mike Lambros cye are some of the best hitting cues out there. I cannot say all others are not good hitting. From the cues I have tried out Lambros cue all the way..

jmf041

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Expanding on javas post.

Wooden stick some form of a taper and a piece of leather tends to help. Maybe some chalk but thats not necessary.

The only thing you will get in this thread is opinions. Go to your local hall see if you can shoot around with people maybe ask one of them to shoot with their cue for a bit or go to a billiard store and shoot with cues for awhile.

That being said,

I like meucci and jacoby.

Anthony_Beeler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
You should hit balls with McDermott's I-2 shaft... It's he best hitting shaft on the market in my opinion. I use to play with a 3,500.00 McDaniel but I got an I-2 shaft and there was no going back.

Sounds like the G Core wasn't for you. If your interested in trying another McDermott hit me up. I can get you great prices.

The I shafts have a completely different hit than the G Core. McDermott is the best production cue on the market IMHO.

bklynjava

I use PK...UFIGUREITOUT
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Honestly everyone has Opinions, but you need to hit with all kinds and play with what feels good and stick with it - When you find what you like - No changing every month.

I could tell you what I like, but what really matters is what you like. :thumbup:

GL in your search...

Rtoron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
63   0   1
Best hitting cue out there is a Mark Wilson cue made by Mike Durbin. I have one and I will never let it go. I have had $4000 cues that never hit this good.

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Expanding on javas post.

Wooden stick some form of a taper and a piece of leather tends to help. Maybe some chalk but thats not necessary.

The only thing you will get in this thread is opinions. Go to your local hall see if you can shoot around with people maybe ask one of them to shoot with their cue for a bit or go to a billiard store and shoot with cues for awhile.

That being said,

I like meucci and jacoby.

Oh I'm aware everyone has a different opinion. I was just seeing what people think. outside of the big name production cues I don't know very much about them. I like to read up on a maker and the process and technology involved but i can't be reading or asking about things that I have never heard of.

Ultimately I'm pretty easy to satisfy because I'm an intermediate player at best and I don't have the finesse required to really test a cue to it's potential. However a cue that I feel comfortable and confident with will make me feel better thus improving my game just based on temperment while at play. I'm pretty interested in some of the Rat cues that my inbox has been getting but I'll look into a lot of the others I've been told about as well.

I appreciate everyone's input and I thank each and everyone of you for the time you took to read and comment.

cireland1990

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a higher end durbin but ive shot with the cheaper ones an they hit just the same! Mike makes a dam good cue! Very consistant!

taemin952

XiaoTing Pan's Soulmate
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
So when I said look at my sig., obviously I had several cues lol. All sold now. Down to one MONSTER. Yes, the OB 123 with Classic Pro. A thread of linen came loose and the stained black finish isn't perfect which sucks, but it'll be replaced by leather anyhow and most importantly, I win with it...a lot. Purchasing a second one as I don't know what I'd do if someone accidently stepped on it during a $$$ match or tourney. I like more slender handles and that's what it has.

justinb386

Banned
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Yeah, Durbin cues hit amazing, but not sure if one can be fund for $350 or less. I am sure he has a long waiting list for a custom order. I imagine his sneaky petes are in the $400 range, but I do not know. They are worth every penny. Really amazing hitting cues. I think any serious player would fall in love with the hit/feel/balance of Durbin cues. I think they are just perfect in every way (the perfect dream players cue). You could put a want add up for "want to buy a Durbin cue -$350", and someone out there might have an extra one that they do not use anymore.

Durbin custom cues they are a great hitting cue!

Jobba786

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
For shafts I would recommend OB1.

For a complete cue you can't go wrong with an Erwin cue - probably most value for money at the moment.

....and sure it is my personal opinion....

-Jon Birger