Orcollo vs Yang Face-Off 2 (Ten ball)

CebuanoNiNoy

Pinoy D Player
Silver Member
Orcollo fights Yang in billiards faceoff
(The Philippine Star) Updated August 06, 2009 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines – It’s all systems go for the much-anticipated rematch between former world no.1 Dennis Orcollo and Taiwanese money-game king Yang Ching-shun in a challenge match dubbed Face Off Series 2-One More Time slated Sept. 8 at the Club Capo on Tomas Morato, Quezon City.

Yang, a former Asian Games gold medalist, is set to visit the country to help promote the race-to-50, 10-ball match produced and organized by Club Capo. The event will be shown live on Solar Sports with a live streaming over the internet through www.jbet.net.

Yang trounced Orcollo in their race-to-60 challenge in 2007 at the Gateway Mall in Quezon City.

“I’m happy that Yang accepted my challenge for a rematch as I really want to avenge my loss against him the last time,” said Orcollo.

“I will do my best to win this time and I’m confident that it’s me who will emerge the winner,” added the reigning International 10-Ball champion.

Besides the bragging rights, Orcollo and Yang will also dispute the $10,000 top purse.

The Orcollo-Yang rematch kicks off a series of challenge matches Club Capo is putting up.

The exclusive membership club is planning to pit eight against other pairs of world-class cue artists each year.

Club Capo is also eyeing a match between Francisco “Django” Bustamante and American Rodney Morris and Lee Van Corteza opposite Shane van Boening in November.

Other planned matches include a rematch between 2007 World Pool Championship finalists Roberto Gomez and Darryl Peach of England; Ronnie Alcano versus fellow former world champion Wu Chia-ching of Singapore; a scotch doubles match featuring the tandem of Efren ‘Bata” Reyes and Bustamante against the duo of Orcollo and Alcano, as well as the pair of Bustamante and Gomez versus Johnny Archer and Van Boening, and Alcano-Johann Chua opposite Yang-Ko Pin-yi; and a duel between Reyes and Archer.

donny mills

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think orcullo would be stealing yangs money on a tight diamond with older cloth. Playing tenball with no jump cues... heist!!

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
i have no reason to believe that orcullo is the favourite. if anything it's an even match. just cuz u dont see yang playing the same tournaments that these others guy do doesnt mean he's not just as good.

and even if orcullo were the favourite, he would not be stealing...not even close.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think orcullo would be stealing yangs money on a tight diamond with older cloth. Playing tenball with no jump cues... heist!!

I totally agree with Donnie here, get them off a brunswick with polished balls and super slick cloth and Dennis would be a big favorite.

100kbet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
while I understand the game changes a lot of things, and the table does as well, why do pool players always feel the need to break it down to a small set of specs so their guy can win?

even if dennis was a favorite a tight diamond with some nappy cloth, its obviously not very likely they'll be playing in those circumstances since its a big setup match. I would expect no less than perfect new cloth, and probalby a moderate table.

thefifteen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever gambled in the Phillipines? 10 ball is a very different game to 9 ball there. The cloth may be new but will be slower, the pockets will be tighter, and it is the game Orcollo gambles at everyday.

There will also be a very partisan crowd. Orcollo by 10 for me.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Outside of the two peeople I've bet with already because they gave me games on the wire for taking Yang the last time, I won't bet until it gets closer to game time. I'm sure I'll have $500 to $1000 on the match when it goes off. Unless Yang has lost a half a ball or more since they last played, or Occullo has gained a ball in his game, I'm all over Yang. Johnnyt

Biggz

Unregistered
Silver Member
I can't wait for this rematch. I also like Dennis on this one. I think 10 ball is Dennis' game. I would also like to see SVB go head to head with these two.

Btw, does anybody know if they are doing race to 50 in 3 days?

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
I know I should ask for odds or handicap since Dennis lost last time, but this is what is called gambling :)

Just drop me a PM if you like Yang. I'll bet atleast $ 500 on this match. Window is open as long as you use paypal or are on the good-action list, or your name is JohnnyT.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Sorry Roy. My widow is closed now. I had to take bets from people I have bet a lot with in the past. Hope you understand it's nothing personal. Johnnyt

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Sorry Roy. My widow is closed now. I had to take bets from people I have bet a lot with in the past. Hope you understand it's nothing personal. Johnnyt

That's cool.

WPBA Colorado Classic coming up in mid september, so guess we will be able to find some small action during the stream :p

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
Yang vs Orcullo will be 6th of September, I think, in 10-ball, race to 60.

Since it is you we can bet $ 1,000, if you like. You have Yang I have Orcullo.

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Have you ever gambled in the Phillipines? 10 ball is a very different game to 9 ball there. The cloth may be new but will be slower, the pockets will be tighter, and it is the game Orcollo gambles at everyday.

There will also be a very partisan crowd. Orcollo by 10 for me.

Dave, I dont believe Yang is unknown with the conditions in PI. He has gambled there before. And the Taiwanese guys play on ultra-tight equipment in their local pro-circuit.

That being said, my money is still on Dennis, but I think it will be very close.

I will take a bet or two for 500 or 1000. Anyone interested? Must be on the good action list, paypal only.

Btw, Dave, I will take Yang if you really think Dennis will win with 10 games ; Yang +10games, 500 or 1000?

Last edited:

thefifteen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now you have enlightened me, I will give you Yang plus three for $1000, to be paid next time you or Roy come over here?

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it can go either way. Here's the way I stack them against each other-

Shotmaking- they are equal

Creativity- probably Dennis

Safeties- Dennis has the edge

Break- Yang has the edge, one of the best breaks in the world

Jumping- Yang is probably the best jump cue player in the world. Yang loves to push out to jump shots, where his opponent is forced to give it back.

I'd say Yang has a slight edge, since he beat Dennis pretty badly in the Phillipines the last time they played. I don't think home court advantage will make a difference.