Smoky Mountain 9 Ball Shootout

Mike Templeton

Confidence........
Silver Member
I've already sent my entry fee and made my room reservations.

Here's a post I made last year about this tournament. This is a "must attend" for anyone in the immediate area. Only problem is, it is usually full (128 players) by the end of March.

Anybody Headed to the Smokey Mountain Shootout?
The last weekend of April each year, folks around Tn, SC, Ga, and NC head to the Smokey Mountain 9-ball Shootout. For me, it ranks as my 2nd favorite tournament that I attend each year (behind the Derby), but for vastly different reasons. Let me start by saying that last year they cut the tournament off at 128 players and had 81 (I believe) on the waiting list. I think that this is the 13th or 14th year. I have attended 10 or 11 of those years.

It is put on each year for the ARC (Retarded Citizens of Haywood County), and is basically a Charity event. It does pay OK with a $5000 total purse and a huge player auction, and although there are many Champions who attend, with past winners include Keith McCready, Stevie Moore, Mike Gulyassy, Shannon Daulton, Tony Watson, Scott Rabon and others who I can't recall, that's not why everyone shows up. Most of the reason everyone attends (I think) is because it has turned into a family reunion more than a pool tournament. I see people there every year that I don't see anywhere else. And there enough A and B players to make the draw fun for everyone. Odds are that you won't draw a champion right out of the box, so you get to play a few matches.

It is held in the Smokey Mountains in Spring, so the location is beautiful with green trees and grass. It's easy to see the rebirth of nature after Winter, and it gives me a feeling of renewed life. The tournament director is Gary Caldwell (who has a daughter in ARC), and there could not be a better or nicer person anywhere. The ladies of Haywood County get together and cook mountain, home-cooked meals to sell at the venue. There is also a steak dinner on Saturday night. There are many raffles for ARC, and I'm sure that they make out OK.

This year, the fliers came out in the middle of February, and I heard that the event was full (128 players paid) by the middle of March. Anyone who lives even somewhat close should come and see the awesome people who attend and put on the tournament, as well as the players who love pool but know that winning the tournament isn't the most important thing that weekend.

This tournament shows me what is right with pool, and pool players. I can't wait to get up there again in April. If anyone knows of any other events like this, please let me know. I'd love to attend. I can't wait to see all of my friends there.

Is anyone else on the board headed up?

Mike

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I called almost two weeks ago and they were full. I am like 12th on the waiting list. I hope I can get in!

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
President said:
Hi there,

Was just wondering who is playing in this annual event at Waynesville, N.C.?

Ted.

So, I guess you are the player from the UK that Gary told me was coming.:)

I typically play every year, but I am not sure if I will make the field this time. I sent in my application, along with 2 friends app's, the last day of February. Gary called me and said that I was the 5th alternate. The tournament was full the first of March. I only had my application 4 days before returning it so I was curious as to how I missed the boat. Gary said they mailed the app's parcel post instead of first class this year (or something like that ) and that my app may have been slow getting to me. I hope some people decide not to attend as I really enjoy this tournament and hope to be in the field. I would imagine Mike G. hopes my 2 friends are in the field as well. ( for the calcutta)

TellsItLikeItIs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are absolutely correct Mike. Its a great event for a great charity.

No matter who the better player is, the children win!

President

Registered
Ktown D said:
So, I guess you are the player from the UK that Gary told me was coming.:)

I typically play every year, but I am not sure if I will make the field this time. I sent in my application, along with 2 friends app's, the last day of February. Gary called me and said that I was the 5th alternate. The tournament was full the first of March. I only had my application 4 days before returning it so I was curious as to how I missed the boat. Gary said they mailed the app's parcel post instead of first class this year (or something like that ) and that my app may have been slow getting to me. I hope some people decide not to attend as I really enjoy this tournament and hope to be in the field. I would imagine Mike G. hopes my 2 friends are in the field as well. ( for the calcutta)
Hi Ktown,

Guess I probably am the one but we have 5 of us travelling the big pond for this one. I have spoken to two of our boys that attended last year and it sounds like a great event for a wonderful charity. I think there should be a lot more tournaments like this where the community can benefit and not only the players. We are really excited about coming over and look forward to meeting you guys there - it looks like we will have a great time.

Best regards,

TED

President

Registered
Mike Templeton said:
I've already sent my entry fee and made my room reservations.

Here's a post I made last year about this tournament. This is a "must attend" for anyone in the immediate area. Only problem is, it is usually full (128 players) by the end of March.

Anybody Headed to the Smokey Mountain Shootout?
The last weekend of April each year, folks around Tn, SC, Ga, and NC head to the Smokey Mountain 9-ball Shootout. For me, it ranks as my 2nd favorite tournament that I attend each year (behind the Derby), but for vastly different reasons. Let me start by saying that last year they cut the tournament off at 128 players and had 81 (I believe) on the waiting list. I think that this is the 13th or 14th year. I have attended 10 or 11 of those years.

It is put on each year for the ARC (Retarded Citizens of Haywood County), and is basically a Charity event. It does pay OK with a $5000 total purse and a huge player auction, and although there are many Champions who attend, with past winners include Keith McCready, Stevie Moore, Mike Gulyassy, Shannon Daulton, Tony Watson, Scott Rabon and others who I can't recall, that's not why everyone shows up. Most of the reason everyone attends (I think) is because it has turned into a family reunion more than a pool tournament. I see people there every year that I don't see anywhere else. And there enough A and B players to make the draw fun for everyone. Odds are that you won't draw a champion right out of the box, so you get to play a few matches.

It is held in the Smokey Mountains in Spring, so the location is beautiful with green trees and grass. It's easy to see the rebirth of nature after Winter, and it gives me a feeling of renewed life. The tournament director is Gary Caldwell (who has a daughter in ARC), and there could not be a better or nicer person anywhere. The ladies of Haywood County get together and cook mountain, home-cooked meals to sell at the venue. There is also a steak dinner on Saturday night. There are many raffles for ARC, and I'm sure that they make out OK.

This year, the fliers came out in the middle of February, and I heard that the event was full (128 players paid) by the middle of March. Anyone who lives even somewhat close should come and see the awesome people who attend and put on the tournament, as well as the players who love pool but know that winning the tournament isn't the most important thing that weekend.

This tournament shows me what is right with pool, and pool players. I can't wait to get up there again in April. If anyone knows of any other events like this, please let me know. I'd love to attend. I can't wait to see all of my friends there.

Is anyone else on the board headed up?

Mike
Great post Mike - this is what pool should be all about.
I look forward to meeting you soon,

Best regards,

TED

quitecoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will probally be attending the Smokey Mt Shootout...a good friend of mine shoots in it, and i will put my money on him in the calcuta...cause he can play his azz off..hope to see many of you there..not gona be hard to miss me...big strapping young black man with a some cool pool "original pool shirt on" i design my own..hope to see ya there

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This event is coming up!! Could someone who has been there before send me a PM? I have some questions about lodging and stuff. Thanks!

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
easy-e said:
This event is coming up!! Could someone who has been there before send me a PM? I have some questions about lodging and stuff. Thanks!
Good luck with lodging. They have a huge Harley rally the same weekend so most ever single hotel has been booked solid for 2 months. You will be able to find a room closer to Canton or Asheville but not near the tournament.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
Good luck with lodging. They have a huge Harley rally the same weekend so most ever single hotel has been booked solid for 2 months. You will be able to find a room closer to Canton or Asheville but not near the tournament.
Yeah, what he said.

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I submitted my leave and am heading up there for sure! Can someone tell me what the playing conditions are? I heard they are bar tables, but what kind of cloth/balls do they use? Also, what is the tournament format? Thanks in advance:)

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
easy-e said:
So I submitted my leave and am heading up there for sure! Can someone tell me what the playing conditions are? I heard they are bar tables, but what kind of cloth/balls do they use? Also, what is the tournament format? Thanks in advance:)

Cheap cloth, cheap balls, Dynamo boxes. They have the tables roped off so it'll be near impossible to even hit a ball if you didn't make the field. They do have two action tables in the corner but they have the heavy cueball and the kids pretty much play on those tables.
Fun event though, being as its in the mountains, lots of quality players and well run. I do indeed miss Red running the event though.:(

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
Varney Cues said:
Cheap cloth, cheap balls, Dynamo boxes. They have the tables roped off so it'll be near impossible to even hit a ball if you didn't make the field. They do have two action tables in the corner but they have the heavy cueball and the kids pretty much play on those tables.
Fun event though, being as its in the mountains, lots of quality players and well run. I do indeed miss Red running the event though.:(
For less expensive equipment they play fairly consistantly from table to table and they actually play pretty good. The tables are played on once a year and then disassembled until the next year's tournament ao they are fairly new and the cloth is in good shape also. As Varney said, If you don't get in the tournament you won't be playing on these. There is a poolroom just a couple of miles down the road called the Crooked Cue. It is a pretty good place to play with 8 9'ers and a couple of barboxes. There will be a few games there on Friday night and it will be packed Saturday night with some action.

See you there.

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They cancelled my leave:( I can't make it. I hope you all play well.

Ktown D

Neverwuzzz
Silver Member
easy-e said:
They cancelled my leave:( I can't make it. I hope you all play well.
Just go AWOL.:D That dishonorable discharge rap isn't all it is cracked up to be. :rolleyes:

GL to you next time.