Xtremepoolchallenge is AWESOME

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I attended the "Fate of the Eight" on Saturday and I was stunned at the quality of the facility, concept and execution.

Gary Patrick has put together a program that is simply world class.

Facility: (Cocoa Beach, FL)

Upstairs
. 5 x 10 1940's Brunswick Centennial with all the goodies set up by Mark Gregory
. comfortable & roomy stadium seating with headphone jacks so you can listen to commentary
. digital scoreboard
. digital shot clock
. 5 cameras
. 4 flat screens showing downstairs match and upstairs match
. elevated, enclosed commentator booth
. control room

Downstairs
. same basic set up plus small snack bar

Concept:
. this match was 8 open players paying in $500 each, winner gets $3000, 2nd gets $1000
. currently free admission for spectators
. currently free live stream in HD
. currently posts matches to youtube

Execution:
. on time as advertised
. knowledgable commentary
. ref's doing the racking (white glove deal w/frequent table cleans)
. timekeeper (no warning, it is up to the players to call for extension)
. every staff member I met was upbeat, outgoing and friendly

I hope Gary has success as he develops his concept.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
This is the first I've heard about this. Any more details on what the overall project idea is supposed to be? Are there going to be challenge matches with top players? Ring games? How do we watch?

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know his long term strategy or plans. If you go to their web site you will see what they have so far.

xtremepoolchallenge.com

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this the same facility that was put in 3-4 years ago for similar purposes by or involving JR Calvert?

rjbigfish

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Silver Member
JR was never really part of it. He was thinking of being a part of it and streaming stuff via inside pool but Gary is doing this all on his own. He has started small doing small local ring games and matches every Friday/Saturday and has now focused on doing a single 8 man tourny every other week or so and opening it up for larger buy ins to attract the better regional players. He is also taking the video equipment on the road to cover some of the "tour" events in Florida. The streams are amazing quality, the best you will find when it comes to streaming pool. Gary also does team events setup similar to how the US Am's play with a combination of 8 and 9 ball. He also has done open scotch doubles along with mixed scotch doubles and is open for challenge matches. I would love to see 2 top players play an all around on this equipment and who wouldn't want to spend a few days on the beach in central florida to come watch :)

The playing equipment is the best you will find anywhere, 2 5x10's with 4.5 inch pockets all around, including the side pockets. The side pockets play super tight compared to any table ive ever played on. Tight but fair.
The video equipment is the best you will find anywhere.
The venue in general is just incredible, if you are ever in the central florida area I would recommend stopping by on a Saturday that they are holding an event to see the place for yourself or at the very least check out their stream on xtremepoolchallenge.com

"Known" players who have played in events there are Tony Crosby, Mike Delawder, Adam Wheeler, John Ditoro, Rob Melrose, Dennis Searing, Jerry Calderon as well as others. Top semi pro/amateur players from central and south florida and all have nothing but great things to say about Gary and the facility.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The facility, the equipment, the quality of the video seem absolutely superb though the overhead view seems to need work.I hope he can come up with a plan to sustain all that.

Good luck Gary.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Very cool. Can't believe this is the first I'm hearing about it. I had heard some whispers of Inside Pool's involvement with that studio a few years ago, but obviously nothing ever came from it. If I had know they were showing a ring game last weekend I would have watched.

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds amazing. let's hope he can get a few corporate sponsors to throw some added money for some bigger name players. i'd love to see some big ring games like what they do before the DCC. who wouldn't wanna watch mike delawder make a 10' table look like a barbox?!

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JR was never really part of it. He was thinking of being a part of it and streaming stuff via inside pool but Gary is doing this all on his own.

I remember Mike Gulassey talking about doing something like this. Same facility?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I attended the "Fate of the Eight" on Saturday and I was stunned at the quality of the facility, concept and execution.

Gary Patrick has put together a program that is simply world class...snip snip snip...

I watched the stream, high quality experience. All info was displayed on screen, including brackets, shot timer, current score and players. Well done.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
JMO but if I put the time and effort into a venture like that the folks playing would not be wearing tennis shoes, t shirts and cargo shorts.

Kind of adds a trashy pool player kind of touch to an otherwise first class show.

JC

Rillix

Xtreme Pool Challenge
Silver Member
Thank you Joel for a great review!

I would like to on behalf of XPC answer some of these questions.

This is the first I've heard about this. Any more details on what the overall project idea is supposed to be? Are there going to be challenge matches with top players? Ring games? How do we watch?
Our top goals are to promote pool to mainstream viewers, and to showcase top amateur players as well as pro players.

While we have not had one of our Ring of Fire (ring game) events in a while we do plan for more in the future.

We definitely plan for challenge matches going forward.

This weekend XPC will be mobile streaming at Zingales in Tallahassee FL for their $8000 guaranteed Southeastern 9-Ball Open this Saturday (13th), and Sunday (14th)! Matches will begin at 11 30am EST. We plan to show multiple tables for this event.

Also I always make sure to get info on AZB(in the Live Stream Area) regarding our events which are all free to watch in true HD.

How to watch: XtremePoolChallenge.com is where all the steaming action takes place also where live brackets, and chat can be found
We do upload some matches to our YouTube channel. You can check out some past stuff there.
Also you can follow us on facebook for more event updates, and posts.

Is this the same facility that was put in 3-4 years ago for similar purposes by or involving JR Calvert?
JR Calvert/InsidePool has never been a part of XPC.

I remember Mike Gulassey talking about doing something like this. Same facility?
Yes but Mike is not involved. He and Gary are from the same area of Ohio originally though.
This is correct.

And another thanks to everyone else for their feedback!

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it PPV?

Watching the replays earlier this evening. Tony Crosby, DiToro, etc.

I like DiToro's commentary.