What is the best low deflection shaft on the market...

The King

Here's Jimbo....
Silver Member
Hello fellow pool players and cue makers...In your opinion what is the best low deflection shaft on the market... I have been away from the site for awhile but know ob and preditor have come out with some new stuff....

OPQ

Registered
I've played with OB-1 and 314^2 and OB is by far the better product. I doubt there could be a shaft with better feel than OB does.

cheapcues.com

Cue Dealer
Silver Member
Hello fellow pool players and cue makers...In your opinion what is the best low deflection shaft on the market... I have been away from the site for awhile but know ob and preditor have come out with some new stuff....

The OB shafts are pretty darn sweet.

OB-1 12.75mm with foam core, wood ferrule
OB-2 11.75mm with foam core, wood ferrlue
OB Classic 12.75mm, no foam core, short white ferrule
OB Classic Pro 11.75mm, no foam core, short white ferrule.

Here's a nice review of the Classic:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=201925

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Industry standard...

Much like the Diamond, Gold Crown debates....

tables are always compared to Gold Crown & LD high tech shafts are compared to Predator....

Brunswick & Predator set the standard

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

Hmm just off the top of my head. Black Boar, Cash$ Cues.

Though I still prefer regular solid maple shafts with ferrules :)

ososlow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Much like the Diamond, Gold Crown debates....

tables are always compared to Gold Crown & LD high tech shafts are compared to Predator....

Brunswick & Predator set the standard

Very true! However, the above companies seemed to stop caring about their quality control. Which makes people look elsewhere...

Easygame

Registered
I have played with Predator and OB shafts(314,314/2,z shaft,OB-1,and OB classic)......in my mind the OB classic is a good long step up from the others.The OB classic has a stiffer hit,better feel,and even a better sound when hittin balls.I truely believe the OB classic has improved my confidence in my equipment as well.

In the end you should try out a few types to see what "feels" the best to you,and by try out I dont think you can evaluate equipment in 15 min. either.Borrow a buddy's shaft or cue and see what you think.

Good luck
Rob

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
In the end you should try out a few types to see what "feels" the best to you,and by try out I dont think you can evaluate equipment in 15 min. either.Borrow a buddy's shaft or cue and see what you think.

Good luck
Rob

Easygame is right . You can't make a decision in 15 minutes , and borrowing a shaft is a great way to make an informed decision .
Of course , you have to have a buddy that will loan you his shaft . . .
That being said , Tate has a great new "test drive" program for the Tiger pro-x shaft .

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=203716

I'm not gonna say it's the best , but I will say his program will help you decide for yourself:cool:

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If by "best" you mean lowest deflection ... there was a table out there somewhere I saw, I think it put the Z2 on the top for least deflection. I personally can't get used to the size and taper of the Z2.

If you mean best by feel, I really liked the McD I-2, it just felt very natural to use ... but it's not all that high up on the list regarding low deflection.

I use a 314-2 now and would like to eventually get a OB Classic. The OB Classic has a lot of things going for it as far as I'm concerned. I believe it has the diameter and taper similar to the McD I-2 that I liked the feel of but much lower deflection. It also has the shorty ferrule that I got used to with the I-2.

Hehe, sounds like I'm convincing myself to buy an OB Classic. :)

bnall

<---Proud Dad
Silver Member
Of all the ones I have tried the ob classic shaft has the best feel. Its stiff and feels like a standard shaft and its low deflection too.

Lamar

Registered
I've played with 314-2, 314, black dot, ob and wd-700.

wd-700 is the best no doubt. Quality, feedback, and price

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I've had the OB 1, the Predator 314, a Tiger and the Predator Z2 and the Z2 is by far my favorite.