TJ Davis...Dallas Texas

sharknu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey all...anyone ever heard of TJ Davis and what do you think about him.....as a shooter and as a Gentleman??? LOL

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sharknu said:
Hey all...anyone ever heard of TJ Davis and what do you think about him.....as a shooter and as a Gentleman??? LOL

He is a very solid bar table player.

sicbinature

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can play just about any game. Plays very good. Is a real good teacher. If your are playing him though, he is satans spawn.

cubc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent player.. and as far as gentleman goes hahahahaha.. hahaha. He has been banned from many tournaments and pool halls for his attitude.

If you ask him for help though or want to play him cheap he'll even play a dollar a game just for someone to play. He's really nice as long as hes not losing.. otherwise hes a real ***** on a level that's hard to imagine.

xidica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cubc said:
Excellent player.. and as far as gentleman goes hahahahaha.. hahaha. He has been banned from many tournaments and pool halls for his attitude.

If you ask him for help though or want to play him cheap he'll even play a dollar a game just for someone to play. He's really nice as long as hes not losing.. otherwise hes a real ***** on a level that's hard to imagine.

Agreed with most of the folks here. Great guy, great shot, but get him down a few games and he's a real jerk. He just doesn't like losing I guess ;)

9Ball_JJ

Newbie Fo' Life
Silver Member
cubc said:

Agree 100% :D

Hustler08

'' Dallas Kid ''
Silver Member
see him about 3-4 times a week and shoot a little a bit, one time i beat him in a tournament and said '' you son of a b**** you are so fu***** lucky.... and next day he was nice like nothing happend... lol, shoots gre thou! :D

trendkill

Takin' notes?!
Silver Member
Well doesn't he sound like a real stand up guy!? lol I'd hate to see what happens when he loses a few hundred or more...

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
trendkill said:
Well doesn't he sound like a real stand up guy!? lol I'd hate to see what happens when he loses a few hundred or more...

I've known TJ for a number of years and I can tell you he RARELY books a loser for money.

He'll lose in tournaments and act like an a**, but I can only remember a couple of times that he lost for money.

I have a tape of him playing Earl Strickland at the 1988 Akron Open where he loses 11-8, but he does 3 foul Earl for a win.

1988 was when Earl was just about the best 9-ball player on the planet.

Wonder how well Earl would take that these days... LOL

plane_o

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ditto all the previous post...tough bar table player. Won the BCA masters once.

trendkill

Takin' notes?!
Silver Member
McKinneyMiner said:
I've known TJ for a number of years and I can tell you he RARELY books a loser for money.

He'll lose in tournaments and act like an a**, but I can only remember a couple of times that he lost for money.

I have a tape of him playing Earl Strickland at the 1988 Akron Open where he loses 11-8, but he does 3 foul Earl for a win.

1988 was when Earl was just about the best 9-ball player on the planet.

Wonder how well Earl would take that these days... LOL

But there's ALWAYS somebody better out there...

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
I played TJ in Dallas about 20 years ago, lost 90 to him for 10 a game,..pulled up..got tired of watching him run out!

David Harcrow

McKinneyMiner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
trendkill said:

Of course there are better players than TJ...

TJ gets in games where he has the best of it...

He's smart and almost impossible to trap.

I never said he was the best player in the world, only that he plays damn good and matches up very well.

RON GEARY

Registered
McKinneyMiner said:
Of course there are better players than TJ...

TJ gets in games where he has the best of it...

He's smart and almost impossible to trap.

I never said he was the best player in the world, only that he plays damn good and matches up very well.
GOT A BUDDY THAT GOT INTO A MATCH WITH TJ. NAMED WILL PAY. TJ GOT 2 HUNDRED AHEAD & QUIT. WILL PAY WASNT READY TO QUIT, WANTED TO PLAY MORE. TJ SAYS ''TO HELL WUTH YOU'' & RUNS OUT THE DOOR. COULD HAVE BEEN AT HAWLEYS...:mad: :mad:

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
trendkill said:

No, technically, that is not true.

I know it sounds nice, and makes people sound smart when they say it, but it is not true.

There is ALWAYS one "best". The best golfer..The best poolplayer...The best basket weaver. That "best" might change from day to day, but that "best" still exists.

If you make the contest long enough, and take the luck out of it, there is definitely a BEST.

If you want to make your assumption accurate, you need to change it to something like:

"A person might be the BEST, but the rules have been changed to handicap that player and bring him back down to the rest of the pack. So, he got beat today by a lesser skilled player."

Can you honestly say in his heyday that Mosconi was beatable in a 1000 point straight pool match? HONESTLY? And if there WAS someperson capable of beating him out there playing on some pool table in his barn, then I would probably go so far as to say that THAT person was "the best".

There is ALWAYS one BEST.

Russ

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
RON GEARY said:
GOT A BUDDY THAT GOT INTO A MATCH WITH TJ. NAMED WILL PAY. TJ GOT 2 HUNDRED AHEAD & QUIT. WILL PAY WASNT READY TO QUIT, WANTED TO PLAY MORE. TJ SAYS ''TO HELL WUTH YOU'' & RUNS OUT THE DOOR. COULD HAVE BEEN AT HAWLEYS...:mad: :mad:

Point being? I mean, I personally won't quit when ahead unless I give my opponent a heads up that I have to leave by X time, but he has every reason to quit whenever he wants.

If he does it often enuff, then he loses his action, or only gets into "freeze-out" games.

Russ

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
RON GEARY said:

Would that be Billy Peay (sp?) from down Louisville way?

trendkill

Takin' notes?!
Silver Member
Russ Chewning said:
No, technically, that is not true.

I know it sounds nice, and makes people sound smart when they say it, but it is not true.

There is ALWAYS one "best". The best golfer..The best poolplayer...The best basket weaver. That "best" might change from day to day, but that "best" still exists.

If you make the contest long enough, and take the luck out of it, there is definitely a BEST.

If you want to make your assumption accurate, you need to change it to something like:

"A person might be the BEST, but the rules have been changed to handicap that player and bring him back down to the rest of the pack. So, he got beat today by a lesser skilled player."

Can you honestly say in his heyday that Mosconi was beatable in a 1000 point straight pool match? HONESTLY? And if there WAS someperson capable of beating him out there playing on some pool table in his barn, then I would probably go so far as to say that THAT person was "the best".

There is ALWAYS one BEST.

Russ

Well sir,

I have to say...everybody is beatable. Back in Mosconi's day, things were different. Example: The number of pool players has grown in a tremendous number. Back then, not so much. With that being said, I'll use Efren Reyes to make my point, if you ask most players who the best is...they'll say Efren Reyes, correct? I have witnessed Efren being put out of tournaments, being beaten by numerous amounts of people. He plays like he should, but there are people out there that can "hang" with him. Pick up some Accu-Stats matches of Efren...most of the time he wins, but not all the time.

People have their off days, all it takes is one shot to give away a match. That doesn't mean the other player is better because he's having a better day than the other.

But just for the shear sake of it all, in your opinion....who is THE best player on the planet?! Can you single one out of the MILLIONS of players? No, for the plain fact that you couldn't possibly know every single player, and seen most of them match up. I have a few friends here in Houston that I can guarantee you would be able to hang with any name you put out there, a couple of them have no desire to go pro or travel as a road player, and the others are already on the pro circuit.

To say there is always a "best player" is absurd. :D