2012 USBA National Championship May 6-10, 2012 Tropicana Hotel Las Vegas, NV

jimshovak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gilbert,

That looks absolutely incredible!!! You are good!

There should be posters made and placed in rooms across the country. All we need is someone to actually do it.

BTW: don't forget that there is still another 2 or 3 players who would need to be added to the "Qualified" list in your poster.

Gilbert, wow. You should be the official USBA designer.

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim,

Gilbert is so talented and smart....I still wish he was on the board.. I enjoyed our strategy talks....but he doesn't listen to me. Knock some sense in him..will you Jim!

p.s. I sent your art work to Xavier at Kozoom Gilbert. I hope you don't object
p.s.s. now you just got to start playing with the Caromm Cue to increase your average another.5

Fox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jim , You know that I always take the initiative for design and with helping the USBA.
Billiards and design mean a lot to me , and I believe that with no IMAGE , billiards won't go too far.....(kozoom is a good example)

Please let me know the names missing from the list!

Steven,

With all due respect , 4 people on the board are ACTIVE and the rest are watching the show and trying to judge situations and issues that happened 30 years ago!

Well it's 2012 and life is too short,

Please wait for the latest version ( high resolution ) , I'll email it to you .

If anybody needs a Digital copy of the poster (anywhere on earth), PM me and I'll respond the next day..asap...
And please if you would like to make a donation to the USBA , $1, $5, or $10 that will be great . If you can't afford it , I 'll shoot you an email with the high resolution file for FREE.

For the cue , I 'll get back to you after the nationals.

REGARDS.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fox nice design layout.
I hope all will approve it!
Since Jim S. and yourself will be competing. Maybe Steve Andersen [Zensteve] or another person will step up and do a Daily Update post/thread of the Tournament on AZ. Since I will be alway from the computer during those Dates.
Good luck this year

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gilberto:

FANTASTICO.........such a gift you have given......now what are the odds that they will use it ???? :rolleyes:
cheerzzzzzzz......DDDDDDDDDDDDDD :D

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!!!! :thumbup:

Fox

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally Dennis,

I believe they are gonna use it, hope before the Nationals!Lolll

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Gilbert; Very good question, I'll give you my opinion, and why!
As usual, they will have the usual suspects in the Finals, most of the top 10 players in the country will be at the finish line once more, with maybe a couple of exceptions, like yourself!

IMHO, these are the reasons why, obviously, Pedro, Hugo, Jae Cho, Miguel, Mazin etc. are definitely the best our country has to offer right now, and seeding 1 top player in each flight doesn't hurt their chances. Also, having a field of 52-56 players, with 80% of players being B and C players gives the top players more time to get in stroke by playing more games beating up on the lesser players before the finals, it's just simple math! Also, the lesser players knock each other out of the top 2 or 3 spots for the finals by beating each other. With the 3 or 4 players in the field that are close to 900 players, it's possible to see some upsets!

The top players in the country stay in stroke at a higher level of play with better players coming to USA to compete in 4 or 5 tourneys a year; Most of the top players are at their peak every tournament they play!

Years ago, the Nationals were played with, at the most, the TOP 12 players in the country that were Winners of the regions they represented. The Nationals were played round robin format, all 12 players play against each, so this way all the games are tough for all the players, as in The Champion of Champion’s, the BEST player truly, is the WINNER!

IMHO, the player ranking system we have adopted in this country is a farce, other than for the top 3 or 4 players on the list it’s not about how the players competed, it’s about economics, who can afford to go to most of the tourneys and buy their way into the Finals to get more points for the rankings. What happened to the REAL meaning of competing? I guess it all boils down again in this wonderful sport,we need more “Supporters, Sponsors, and Media!

Remember all, this is just my opinion!

Bill Smith “Mr3Cushion”

P.S. I have a question of my own, The Nationals has the largest field of any USBA semi-open tournament, why isn't there a Lottery and Auction?, just askin!

Last edited:

jimshovak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bill,

Although I do agree with much of what you say, I don't necessarily agree with everything.

A Nationals with just 12 players would have a lot less spectators. Myself included.

Having 50+ players assures a nice amount of spectators: the players themselves along with anyone else they bring along with them.

I am not, however, against the idea of having a "B" Championship event where the top 10 or 12 finishers earn their way to the Nationals to face the best players in the country. This is a Paul Frankel (Professor-Q-Ball) idea.

Rankings: Let me say this one more time because I get tired of saying it. Rankings are different from Ratings. If you were to rate the best players in the country, you would make a list of everyone and then that list would rarely, if ever, change. That's nice, but it's boring.

Rankings are based on ranking points that players collect from both participation and performance. If a player doesn't support the tournaments by showing up, then he won't receive a high ranking. Period. The UMB runs their ranking system in almost the exact same way. The top ranked players in the world are great players - no doubt. But they only get high in the rankings if they participate in the events and also perform. Without either of them, you won't see their names on the ranking list.

Lotteries and auctions are controversial - I agree. I personally would like to do away with them. But they do help us a lot to raise more prize money for the events and the players. That's the main benefit. Our top players don't really make much money in a year from tournament prize money. Pedro probably makes the most, but he couldn't make a living at it. Anything we can do to help our top players make money is fine with me.

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[SIZE="3

IMHO, the player ranking system we have adopted in this country is a farce, other than for the top 3 or 4 players on the list it’s not about how the players competed, it’s about economics, who can afford to go to most of the tourneys and buy their way into the Finals to get more points for the rankings. What happened to the REAL meaning of competing? I guess it all boils down again in this wonderful sport,we need more [B]“Supporters, Sponsors, and Media![/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"]I think Mr. Smith makes a valid point here, especially his use of the word "farce" and his take on the economics of the situation. As the USBA is currently structered there are only a dozen or so players that really benefit [and I do not begrudge them that] with the vast majority being nothing but donators supporting the tip of the pyramid. It especially galls me that it has no training program for younger players nor does it seem to be interested in establishing one. As Mr. Smith [Bill, when did you become humble!! :rolleyes:]says, this is just MHO.[/SIZE]

jimshovak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis, that is one of the reasons why we started doing "B" and "C" tournaments: to give the lesser players a "piece of the pie" and not always having to be a "donator".