What's the Plan? 2

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought we'd get started on puzzles 2 and 3 while we're waiting to wrap up puzzle 1.

Here is the puzzle 2 layout post break shot. What's the plan? How far ahead can you see? What balls are significant to you, and what roles do they play? What are your priorities at this stage?

2A.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One thing to note in this position is that every ball fits to a pocket if the balls are taken in the right order without moving any object ball. It's probably not practical to do that, but it is an interesting exercise to find a possible no-movement sequence. The sequence I see requires shooting a couple of balls in the rack to the head pockets.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing to note in this position is that every ball fits to a pocket if the balls are taken in the right order without moving any object ball. It's probably not practical to do that, but it is an interesting exercise to find a possible no-movement sequence. The sequence I see requires shooting a couple of balls in the rack to the head pockets.

A point worth discussing, I think. When is it more practical to move balls when they could also be picked off without touching others?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought we'd get started on puzzles 2 and 3 while we're waiting to wrap up puzzle 1.

Here is the puzzle 2 layout post break shot. What's the plan? How far ahead can you see? What balls are significant to you, and what roles do they play? What are your priorities at this stage?

View attachment 477640

7-15 to foot rail 8-13-14-12 opening up stack. If you get perfect you could get through the cluster without going into the stack but I doubt it would happen. I would avoid 7-15-11-10 top open the balls because you will likely just tie up balls on the foot rail.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Bob and Al. After surveying the table for a good amount of time, rather than maneuvering to pick apart balls, the player chose to play the 7-ball in the side pocket going one rail into the top of the cluster and landing here. Thoughts?

Also, what's the plan from here?

2B.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, I don't think the shooter is inclined to do this, but....

Shoot the 11, get above the 2, then try to get between the 4 and the 13. Maybe use the 13 to get a right-side break shot.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player is following Bob's direction so far by taking out the 11-ball and getting above the 2-ball. Any other options from here?

2C.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another possibility later if you get just right is to play the 6 in the side and push some balls to the right.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
would it be bad to play the 9 bump the 6 to open up the cluster alittle and use the 4 ball as your escape shot??
save the 2 as a possible (2nd choice ) break ball for later in the rack or as a key ball ?
i dont play straight pool very often but want to start playing it/learning it

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player is following Bob's direction so far by taking out the 11-ball and getting above the 2-ball. Any other options from here?

View attachment 477810

First that looks like a very nice table for 14.1!
Second stay off the rails,and maintain a angle.
I like that 2 as a safety valve but now have to roll it in. Leave whitey so I can shoot the 13 and go off end rail into the 12. Should have a choice of shots at 4 pockets. I am leaving that 9 as a breakball.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player played the 2-ball drifting straight down-table to this position. Spoiler: the player goes into the balls off of the 13-ball. How would you go into the balls from here?

2D.jpg

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
would it be bad to play the 9 bump the 6 to open up the cluster alittle and use the 4 ball as your escape shot??
save the 2 as a possible (2nd choice ) break ball for later in the rack or as a key ball ?
i dont play straight pool very often but want to start playing it/learning it

Since you asked, my thoughts on why I wouldn't play the 9 there:
-There's a much easier shot on the 2-ball. The 9-ball, even with the 4-ball backstop (and where would the 4-ball end up if you caromed off of it?) is a more missable shot. The cue ball is a little too far from the object ball to be comfortable when the easy 2-ball is begging to be played.
-The 2-ball really isn't a great key ball because it is too high above the side pocket to get to easily without a ball uptable leading to it. You could shoot it in the upper left corner, but it's a more precarious position play to that shot than to other types of key balls.
-With so many balls still on the table there's not a good enough reason to preserve the 2-ball for an unconventional break shot, especially since there's no key ball in position to help place the cue ball.
-It also looks like the 90 degree tangent line off of the 2-ball break ball misses the rack on the right side of the table, so cue ball placement and shot speed and spin would have to be very carefully played.
-The shot on the 9-ball is a little more than a half ball hit, which says to me that the speed on the cue ball necessary to get the 9-ball to the pocket will deflect the cue ball too strongly into the balls to know what would happen afterwards. It looks as if the cue ball would carom off of the 6-ball then 1-ball and then towards the 4-ball, though you might be able to put enough draw on the cue ball so that it strikes the 6-ball more fully and doesn't fly as much.
-Finally, the 9-ball is in a great position for a break ball for the next rack, so you may be able to preserve it.

My 2-cents. ;)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since you asked, my thoughts on why I wouldn't play the 9 there:
-There's a much easier shot on the 2-ball. The 9-ball, even with the 4-ball backstop (and where would the 4-ball end up if you caromed off of it?) is a more missable shot. The cue ball is a little too far from the object ball to be comfortable when the easy 2-ball is begging to be played.
-The 2-ball really isn't a great key ball because it is too high above the side pocket to get to easily without a ball uptable leading to it. You could shoot it in the upper left corner, but it's a more precarious position play to that shot than to other types of key balls.
-With so many balls still on the table there's not a good enough reason to preserve the 2-ball for an unconventional break shot, especially since there's no key ball in position to help place the cue ball.
-It also looks like the 90 degree tangent line off of the 2-ball break ball misses the rack on the right side of the table, so cue ball placement and shot speed and spin would have to be very carefully played.
-The shot on the 9-ball is a little more than a half ball hit, which says to me that the speed on the cue ball necessary to get the 9-ball to the pocket will deflect the cue ball too strongly into the balls to know what would happen afterwards. It looks as if the cue ball would carom off of the 6-ball then 1-ball and then towards the 4-ball, though you might be able to put enough draw on the cue ball so that it strikes the 6-ball more fully and doesn't fly as much.
-Finally, the 9-ball is in a great position for a break ball for the next rack, so you may be able to preserve it.

My 2-cents. ;)
except for what you mentioned above it wasnt that bad a shot choice.:embarrassed2:..:grin-square:
thanks for the critique.. .:thumbup:

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The player goes into them with a soft stroke striking 12-ball, 3-ball, 6-ball, and brushing the 9-ball and landing here. What's the plan from here?

2E.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think you have to get rid of the 4 now. The combo on the rail is not a problem.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you have to get rid of the 4 now. The combo on the rail is not a problem.

Does anyone see an end pattern from here? Of course things can change along the way, but do you see a Plan A all the way to the break ball?

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way the player plays from here, there is an end pattern in mind. I'll wait for someone to post a guess before sharing the next photo.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The way the player plays from here, there is an end pattern in mind. I'll wait for someone to post a guess before sharing the next photo.
Well, one way is 4,3,1, 14, 10-15, 12, 5, (or 5,12), 10, 6. The hardest part of that run is probably playing shape on the 14 from the 1.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for playing, Bob. The player chose to take the 4-ball first as you suggested, playing it off of the foot rail to squeeze through the opening between the 1-ball and 9-ball landing here. What's the plan from here?

2F.jpg

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These threads can get unwieldy when trying to refer to various diagrams. Here's the photo I'm referring to:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6037379&postcount=14

Here's my take: Overall things look very manageable. 9 ball break shot. How do I get on the 9? I see a nice triangle with the 3, the 10 and 15 cluster, and the 6. So my end pattern is the 3, 10 hopefully, 6 key ball. Can I manage to free up the 10 so this plan will work? I need to find out earlier rather than later so that I can still create a plan B if that doesn't work out. Shoot the 4 soft with spin to throw it in and hold the cue ball below the 1 for a shot on the 14. Stun the 14 in and drift over to the side rail above the 10. Shoot the 10/15 combo softly with a little draw to keep the 10 in place and put the cue ball where I can get at the 12, 5, and 1. It looks like the 12 passes the 5 into the corner, then take the 5 or 1 in either order. This puts you straight on the 3, and the rest is cake.

I think the trick to this pattern is a nice touch shot on the 4 to hold the cue ball for a not too sharp angle on the 14. After that it should be routine.