Why do tables play different?

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
A friend's 9' Olhausen with new Accufast cushions plays "longer" than my table in that he aims at the fifth diamond to hit the standard three rail.
My question is why the difference? I'm thinking how the bed cloth was stretched is the biggest factor but Is it because of the cushion material, height of nose, etc. I would like to understand.
What makes the perfect table?

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hmmmm

Didn't you have your rails built by Mark? Have you measured whether or not your table is exactly 50" x 100" ??? .... Are the rail sights in the right places in relation to the size of the table?

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Didn't you have your rails built by Mark? Have you measured whether or not your table is exactly 50" x 100" ??? .... Are the rail sights in the right places in relation to the size of the table?

When Mark was building the rails, he asked me to send the corner metal brackets so that he could put it all together for alignment purposes. He labeled the rails and the local shadetree mechanic pretty much laid the rails onto the slate. Shots out of all four corners are consistent. Glen will be here to perform his magic on the whole table and we'll get the lowdown on what's going on before we break it down. He's a busy guy though

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
On a carom table, the rail cloth is the most important
We stretch it as tight as possible and staple it down with the tension, length wise

When a table begins to play short, I cam be an indicator of the cloth was not stretched enough

I know carom and pool cloth are different, I know carom rails and pool rails are different

I'm just curious if it could be the same cause as on a carom table, perhaps the rail cloth could have been installed improperly?

My royal Pro cloth is so thin I was able to do it myself and get it right the very first time I ever put cloth on rails

The table played long for a bit, now it plays right when you give it the around the table diamond test

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
On a carom table, the rail cloth is the most important
We stretch it as tight as possible and staple it down with the tension, length wise

When a table begins to play short, I cam be an indicator of the cloth was not stretched enough

I know carom and pool cloth are different, I know carom rails and pool rails are different

I'm just curious if it could be the same cause as on a carom table, perhaps the rail cloth could have been installed improperly?

My royal Pro cloth is so thin I was able to do it myself and get it right the very first time I ever put cloth on rails

The table played long for a bit, now it plays right when you give it the around the table diamond test

The bed cloth not being stretched enough is very possible. I had a local guy set the table up and I don't think he knew what he was doing. His only experience was one piece slate bar tables with Championship cloth. I have Simonis 860HR.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

I think the main problem is that the cloth was not stretched enough on the bed. I can consistently only get 4.1 (table lengths, 4.5 one time and I can not duplicate it) shooting from the head spot. I think that is slow for 860HR. Glen says Green Simonis is slower than tournament blue.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Kind of shocked to hear any of this. Kinda weird the rails are off by 1/4" each direction.... There is a little play in how the castings are mounted. RKC is the guy to sort it out.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Kind of shocked to hear any of this. Kinda weird the rails are off by 1/4" each direction.... There is a little play in how the castings are mounted. RKC is the guy to sort it out.

I know. I've got a whole list of questions for him. He's a busy man. It's amazing to me that no other mechanics (that I know about) wouldn't want to learn what he knows and become just as valuable. We've got a world class pool hall here in Salem but the two guys Jim sends out are all about how fast can they set it up and get on to the next job. They did not set up my table. I think their attitude derives from working in a pool hall where leveling the Anniversaries and Centennials are done by adding playing cards under one or two of the four points touching the floor.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
No, the measurements are off. 49& 3/4" across and 99 & 3/4 long. I wonder if that is off enough to alter the typical three rail? I think the main problem is that the cloth was not stretched enough on the bed. I can only get 4.5 (table lengths) shooting from the head spot occasionally. I think that is slow for 860HR. Glen says Green Simonis is slower than tournament blue.

The table being off by a 1/4" will definately make a difference, its no longer twice as long as it is wide, I just dont know how much of a difference and which way it will affect it. Thats the biggest reason I had my GCI modified for current cushions, I didnt want the janky size you get putting on wrong cushions. I dont know if its correct or not but my 3 railer goes when I hit the 6th diamond (middle diamond between side pocket and corner).

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
The table being off by a 1/4" will definately make a difference, its no longer twice as long as it is wide, I just dont know how much of a difference and which way it will affect it. Thats the biggest reason I had my GCI modified for current cushions, I didnt want the janky size you get putting on wrong cushions. I dont know if its correct or not but my 3 railer goes when I hit the 6th diamond (middle diamond between side pocket and corner).

That is exactly where my table's 3 rail is now after the new cloth quit sliding. I think people that know would say that is the typical Brunswick action but I'm not sure. Plus My 3 rail test shot might be totally different than the next guy's too. A lot depends on amount of running English, firmness of stroke, follow through, etc. etc.

Last edited:

They're not 50x100 And I make them that way to create shelf depth in the Brunswick corners.
the tables don't play short I do and Glen will prove it when he goes and repairs Dennis table.
I hear everyone with oh my God I had this guy do my rails and they play so good....mean while the guy don't know how to even hold the cue.

Give me a break with these questions and answers that not one person on talk to a mechanic knows a 5 ball from and orange.

My table plays bla bla bla....and I'm a 5 on the APA.....go around and measure tables. Tell me how many are 50 x 100. Nice talking to ya.

I know how my rails play....I play on them...and trust me I can still play a little.
Diamond knows how my rails play....why do I get questions from them and so many others if my rails play short or not right.
This AZ needs to find people that understand just a little about pool.....guys doing work on tables and rails don't even know how to play the game let alone know how tables and rails should play.
Why I bother with this is way beyond me.....send the rails to someone else that knows as much as me but don't have the reputation that's why they don't charge as much.....yeah good luck with that.
This isn't rocket science just follow the numbers right....just ask the rails guys on here.

I'm done....I've got better things to do than get calls about did you see AZ...not interested have to many rails to make wrong...bahahahahahaha

Mark Gregory

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
When someone claims Olhausen plays longer, I really got to scratch my head.
You do a 3-railer on Accufast, the ball goes the opposite angle on the third rail.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
When someone claims Olhausen plays longer, I really got to scratch my head.
You do a 3-railer on Accufast, the ball goes the opposite angle on the third rail.

No one made any judgements or bad comments. We are only reading what the OP wrote about his table.

:)

Reactions: JC

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think my original post gave the wrong information; I am totally thrilled with Mark's rails! I think he made them perfectly, beautiful walnut, rail height, pocket geometry, etc. My table plays better than any and all of the 24 Brunswick Anniversaries and Centennials at the local pool hall and I've practiced and played on them all. My complaint is with the guy that set it up in the first place as I don't think he leveled it right or stretched the cloth correctly. My question was that I'm wondering why tables play differently and I think the main answer to that is cloth, how it was stretched and cushion brand and material. I was hoping to get others involved in that discussion.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
And OLHAUSEN.
Try a Z shot on the Olhausen at medium speed and let me know what happens after the ball hits the second rail.

My teacher has a 9' Olhausen with new Accufast cushions and the "Z" shot performs perfectly. NOT 2nd rail straight across like at the local pool hall. I think that is due to faulty rail height or something and not the actual cushion material. BUT once again, I'm not sure.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
My teacher has a 9' Olhausen with new Accufast cushions and the "Z" shot performs perfectly. NOT 2nd rail straight across like at the local pool hall. I think that is due to faulty rail height or something and not the actual cushion material. BUT once again, I'm not sure.

I bought a Gold Crown because the top of the line Olhausen Championship table banks funny. Never mind the pocket opening that spits out balls.
2 pool halls here closed and had a bunch of Championship tables. They couldn't give them away.

The Accufast Cushion getting BCA certified as a K66 rubber is a joke.
It's a shame as the cushion material is actually very good.
It's just they did the profile really wrong.
If they made that cushion a true K66 or K55, they would really hurt Brunswick and Artemis.

Last edited: