John Brumback's "Bank Pool: Secrets of a World Champion" DVD

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never liked bank shots. To me they're a necessary evil; a shot to be played if there's no other option, and hopefully as part of a two-way shot in case of a miss. So when I heard that John Brumback (widely considered the best bank pool player in the world today) was coming out with an instructional DVD, I thought that maybe this guy knows something I don't.

Boy, does he.

My copy of John's DVD arrived Friday, I watched it Saturday morning and went out to practice on Saturday afternoon. I'm blown away. My banks game has jumped 2 balls just from watching the video and an hour or two of practice. Now I feel like I know what I'm doing when I bank - my pocketing has gone up and my misses tend to be closer to the pocket. I certainly need more practice on his techniques, but quite literally overnight I've gone from disliking banks to accepting/liking them.

As John says, most people bank "the wrong way." There's not a lot of good information out there, and banks come up infrequently in most games. It's easy for amateur players to get by with mediocre banking skills because of that infrequency. John's information can turn you from a mediocre banker into a superior banker.

Without exaggeration I can say that John's DVD is the most useful instructional item I've used since I was a beginner. Nothing else has given me such a noticeable improvement in such a short period of time. If you've ever wondered why you missed a bank shot, try this DVD.

John's DVD is available at: http://www.teachmepool.com/ and there is a sample video available at: http://www.teachmepool.com/Videos.htm

Thank you, John and Mark.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never liked bank shots. To me they're a necessary evil; a shot to be played if there's no other option, and hopefully as part of a two-way shot in case of a miss. So when I heard that John Brumback (widely considered the best bank pool player in the world today) was coming out with an instructional DVD, I thought that maybe this guy knows something I don't.

Boy, does he.

My copy of John's DVD arrived Friday, I watched it Saturday morning and went out to practice on Saturday afternoon. I'm blown away. My banks game has jumped 2 balls just from watching the video and an hour or two of practice. Now I feel like I know what I'm doing when I bank - my pocketing has gone up and my misses tend to be closer to the pocket. I certainly need more practice on his techniques, but quite literally overnight I've gone from disliking banks to accepting/liking them.

As John says, most people bank "the wrong way." There's not a lot of good information out there, and banks come up infrequently in most games. It's easy for amateur players to get by with mediocre banking skills because of that infrequency. John's information can turn you from a mediocre banker into a superior banker.

Without exaggeration I can say that John's DVD is the most useful instructional item I've used since I was a beginner. Nothing else has given me such a noticeable improvement in such a short period of time. If you've ever wondered why you missed a bank shot, try this DVD.

John's DVD is available at: http://www.teachmepool.com/ and there is a sample video available at: http://www.teachmepool.com/Videos.htm

Thank you, John and Mark.

This is a jaw dropping DVD.

I don’t care what your game is -- 8ball, 9ball, banks, 1pocket, even 14.1 -- you would have to be insane to pass it up. On this DVD, John, in his very laid back, easy to understand manner describes various banks shots and techniques and then demonstrates them. One, two, and three railers; sides and corners. You get to see them from various angles and in slow motion. At first I thought the repeated views of the same shot would be an annoyance, but it actually works to great effect, saving you from endless rewinding and pausing so that you can observe everything from the cueing, to the stroke, to what happens to the OB, where it hits the rail, and what the CB does. There are also some drills and John also works his way through a couple of racks all the while explaining his thought process.

A couple of other aspects of the DVD I liked were that there are even a couple of times John misses a bank but then makes a quick adjustment and nails it. I thought that brought a very human quality to the proceedings, unlike other productions where -- surprise -- the guy on the screen never misses. The other aspect I liked was, that most of the shots have practical, real game situation applications. These are not exhibition shots -- they’re shots that come up all the time, that we’ve all seen, but cannot execute with consistency and John explains why. (Having said that, there are a couple of shots that will, at first glance, leave you a little incredulous.)

I wrote a long time ago about the benefits of playing and observing great players, likening it to the opportunity of watching a magician perform a magic trick over and over again right before your little peepers. And that’s what’s happening on this DVD. Yes, there are the bank shots and associated techniques, but for those so inclined, within this DVD there is also the opportunity to pick up on a couple of other techniques John does not specifically address, but are on display to the discerning viewer.

So that’s it. Buy it -- it is worth every penny. And I can promise you that it will pay for itself the next time a bank shot comes up in a money game, league play, or tournament.

Lou Figueroa

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I ordered John's video yesterday and I'm already jonesin' for it to get here.

I honestly LOVE to shoot banks and when I'm "on".......I can definitely hold my own in my local area. BUT, I do it all on instinct. And while I do think there's something to be said for having "a feel" for it, I really want to have a plan/system.

Not to mention that when I miss a bank in a game, I hate having to try to remember how it was, so I can practice it later. I'd like to be able to immediately evaluate it and then move on.

I'm hoping John has a good system that will just leave me the "simple" job of execution.

Anyone else watched this and have any comments?

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Hmmm. Interesting. I assumed.....which is always a bad thing.....that there was a system involved.

Can anyone point me in the direction of aiming systems for 1, 2 and 3-rail banks? Like I said, I currently go pretty much on "feel".

I have Lil Joe's kicking system DVD (which are great), but it seems like that would be a different animal.

Anyway, I received the John's DVD today, so definitely a big thumbs up on shipping time. I'll watch it tonite and and hit a few balls.

I'll report back with my review as soon as I'm comfortable with it.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hmmm. Interesting. I assumed.....which is always a bad thing.....that there was a system involved.

Can anyone point me in the direction of aiming systems for 1, 2 and 3-rail banks? Like I said, I currently go pretty much on "feel".

I have Lil Joe's kicking system DVD (which are great), but it seems like that would be a different animal.

Anyway, I received the John's DVD today, so definitely a big thumbs up on shipping time. I'll watch it tonite and and hit a few balls.

I'll report back with my review as soon as I'm comfortable with it.

Thanks for the purchase, John does a great job.
Mark

Last edited:

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Well, you can officially call Brumback an ATM......cuz that guy is a banking MACHINE.

Just an amazing shot.

I've watched it completely thru, just sitting in my living room to absorb what it was all about, and it's something else.

I'd say I currently shoot MAYBE half the shots the way he advised. Maybe. Another 25%, I was shooting incorrectly (gee, no wonder I was missing them). But, there was at least another 25% that I didn't even know you could do that!

I've been able to replicate most of them, but it's definitely going to take a lot of practice to get these shots down. Then again, that's part of pool. Gotta put in the time.

After watching John shoot, I'd say he's put in enough time for all of us. :)

BTW, Mark, I have Pool 101 and Pool 202. The 101 stuff is pretty basic, but definitely good info to have. I'm going to try to show it to my best friend's daughters and wife, as they all seem to have an interest in picking up the game.

The 202 is a great video that I've watched once completely thru to absorb. I then took it to the table to try the kicking portion, but I haven't gotten a chance to do the banks yet.

I'm going to do that and then revisit John's video to see if I can put it all together.

Thumbs up to all of the above!

John Brumback

Silver Member
What John teaches here is not a banking "system". There are a ton of those for free all over the internet and on here. What he shows, is his way of making those systems work much more reliably. He assumes that you already know the basics of banking, and goes into more detail on how to actually execute bank shots, and why. Really good info on it, so don't be disappointed if it's not exactly what you thought it was going to be.

Thanks Neil.Yep,I teach what I call methods,I don't have or use what I would call systems.I've never in my life seen a good system for banking and I have looked at quite a few(maybe all).Futhermore I really don't think anyone can show someone where on the rail to hit, to make the bank.I've said it before that I think everyone knows where on the rail to hit the bank but most just don't hit the shot with the right method,er my method.My trick to good easy banks is to make the pocket play easier and or bigger.That's the trick and or secret to good banks,imo.John B.

John Brumback

Silver Member
Well, you can officially call Brumback an ATM......cuz that guy is a banking MACHINE.

Just an amazing shot.

I've watched it completely thru, just sitting in my living room to absorb what it was all about, and it's something else.

I'd say I currently shoot MAYBE half the shots the way he advised. Maybe. Another 25%, I was shooting incorrectly (gee, no wonder I was missing them). But, there was at least another 25% that I didn't even know you could do that!

I've been able to replicate most of them, but it's definitely going to take a lot of practice to get these shots down. Then again, that's part of pool. Gotta put in the time.

After watching John shoot, I'd say he's put in enough time for all of us. :)

BTW, Mark, I have Pool 101 and Pool 202. The 101 stuff is pretty basic, but definitely good info to have. I'm going to try to show it to my best friend's daughters and wife, as they all seem to have an interest in picking up the game.

The 202 is a great video that I've watched once completely thru to absorb. I then took it to the table to try the kicking portion, but I haven't gotten a chance to do the banks yet.

I'm going to do that and then revisit John's video to see if I can put it all together.

Thumbs up to all of the above!

Good luck buddy.Yeah that Mark guy know's his stuff too!:grin: Thanks,FB
John B.

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John's Dvd.......!!

Awesome video,,,

Extremely informative and with John's showmanship,,it makes for a staple in anyone's collection,,,,,,,

Way to go John with this first class production,,

''Eddie Taylor'' is smilin' down on ya,,,,,,!!

,,,,,,,Alan Ende,,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

John Brumback

Silver Member
Awesome video,,,

Extremely informative and with John's showmanship,,it makes for a staple in anyone's collection,,,,,,,

Way to go John with this first class production,,

''Eddie Taylor'' is smilin' down on ya,,,,,,!!

,,,,,,,Alan Ende,,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

Haha.Thanks alot! Glad you liked it:smile:Alot of thanks has to go to Mark Otto too.He's good and easy to work with,or should I say for :p. John B.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Well,

John s DVD is for sure one of the best i ve seen so far- and i know many many stuff very sure. Just the way he describes what is necessary and the short and clear explanation makes his DVD so fun to watch.
He found a great way to *transfer* his information.

Nice Job JOhn!

lg from overseas,
Ingo

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If any one is at the Derby John has some DVDs available, saves the shipping.
Mark

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the questions below. It's not easy to determine these things from the information on his website:

Is this the video I'd want to improve my banking or the video I'd want to develop better strategies for winning a bank pool game? I'm more interested in improving my banks even if I never play banks again. If you are familiar with the content of this DVD, maybe you can estimate the approximate percent devoted to making better bank shots.

Also, how effective is John at communicating his methods. I assume that this may be the only time he's tried to teach via video.

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the questions below. It's not easy to determine these things from the information on his website:

Is this the video I'd want to improve my banking or the video I'd want to develop better strategies for winning a bank pool game? I'm more interested in improving my banks even if I never play banks again. If you are familiar with the content of this DVD, maybe you can estimate the approximate percent devoted to making better bank shots.

Also, how effective is John at communicating his methods. I assume that this may be the only time he's tried to teach via video.
You want the Bank Pool Secrets DVD for how to make banks, and the lesson DVD is more for when and why to play a shot.