Willard Tipping Machine

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anybody ever got there hands on the Willard Tipping Machine ? I just ordered one wanted to get some feed backs good thoughts and bad ones about it.

Thanks for the info....

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Just take great care not to shave off bits of your ferrule with the pencil sharpener cutter.;)

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Has anybody ever got there hands on the Willard Tipping Machine ? I just ordered one wanted to get some feed backs good thoughts and bad ones about it.

Thanks for the info....

If you don't have a lathe these are the best machines for tipping cue on the market. Like another poster said in the beginning you learn how to properly use this machine, or you can cut the ferrule when trimming the tip down. But, with a little practice you can get the hang of it very quickly, and it will do a professional job. I would also recommend buying some additional cutting blades for the machine to have on hand, they will wear out quickly depending upon the hardness and number of tips you plan to do. The blades are cheap compared to the cost of the machine itself, I would also recommend buying additional collets, the machine will come with 13 and 14 mm only.

Take Care

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Just take great care not to shave off bits of your ferrule with the pencil sharpener cutter.;)

You got you a BIG amen there!

Take it very slowly... very slowly. I use my crutch tip shaft spinner to cut last little bit off. I don't care so much for the leather burnisher that is attatched.. I prefer a seperate piece of leather. All in all I love the machine and would recommend it to anyone who wants to do his/her own tips and maybe some for friends.

tomspoolrm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
..also when you tighten down the collet on the shaft it ban damage the cue if your not careful. i would recomend leaving it very loose.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They work ok for house cues, I would not trust it on a half way decient cue or any cue you can not afford to damage.

cmaster

Blades

I have had a Willard for about a year. It works great. My grandson bought me a new machine. He messed up the black "Willard" label when he was removing some glue that he spilled on the machine. The glue came off with no problem but he was upset about the label. I tried to tell him that it would not affect the operation and that he shouldn't worry about it. He insisted that he replace it so I decided to offer it for sale on the forum. First, I offered it to Mreightball. If I don't hear from him by the 20th of this month, I'll offer it for sale $350.00. I had trouble finding blades. Never changed the blade and it was still cutting good but didn't want to sell it without a new blade in the machine and two spare blades (like when I got the machine). I think I used it to put tips on about 10 cues, grandson 2 cues. Buy the blades at: http:
//www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Catalog.SearchProcess.cfm
They are only $0.69 each and they don't eat you up on shipping charges and no minimum order. The dvd video shows the guy just sticking the cue in the holders of the collets. Unscrew the holder. Put the dark half on the shaft, then the collet, then the other half of the holder. TIGHTEN JUST TIGHT ENOUGH TO KEEP THE SHAFT FROM TURNING WHEN YOU ARE CUTTING. IF YOU SEE ANY SIGN OF THE SHAFT TURNING IN THE COLLET, TIGHTEN JUST A BIT MORE. IF THE SHAFT TURNS IN THE COLLET, OR THE HOLDER IS TIGHTENED TOO TIGHT ON THE SHAFT, IT CAN MAR THE SHAFT. TRY IT FIRST ON AN INEXPENSIVE CUE. IT IS VERY EASY TO USE. YOU'LL LIKE IT. If I can be of help, let me know. claygatlin@comcast.net
Brandon, Mississippi PS
(I'm almost completely deaf and my hearing aids don't work good on the phone, so email me if I can help you.)
CG

dave sutton

Banned
for the price of that machine you should have a little more moner and get a small repair lathe. a few tips and ferrules lathe and it will pay for itself

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the info....

I started with one way back in the day, used the money I made with it to save for my first lathe.