Jose Parica

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I second this. Jose used to come around and play the turning stone classic in the mid 2000's and I'll never forget watching him duke it out with Johnny archer in a 3 hour grudge match that kind of brought me back to the game after being away for a while.

I miss watching Parica play.

ace911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is doing well, I talked to him a few months ago. He's retired, he is spending time with his family in the Philippines.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is doing well, I talked to him a few months ago. He's retired, he is spending time with his family in the Philippines.

Thanks for the input.
It's good to know all is well and he's with family.
When you see him again, tell him his fans wished he had a farewell tour before retiring so we could cheer him on one last time. :grin-square:

ace911

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Cardigan,

I will sure thing. I think they held some sort of "Welcome Home" ceremony for him in October. His son posted some pictures on FB. This is one of them. Cheers!

22338831_1561243903967534_3663518007137174297_o.jpg

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely one of my favorite players to watch... right up there with Earl, Rodney, and a
Few others!! I will miss the show.

Td

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great photo of Jose, Bustie, Efren, et al.! Thanks for sharing.

Jose is a good friend of Keith's. In fact, when I met Keith for the very first time in Maryland, he was traveling with Jose Parica
from Derby City Classic to the Capital City Classic in Maryland. :grin-loving:

Me, I had been away from pool for a long, long time, working at my career in Washington, D.C. I ran into an old pool croney
who told me about this tournament in Maryland said I should come meet him and hang out with the rest of my pool gang
that I had not seen in a while.:smile:

So I did. I drove out there to the tournament, and in the parking lot, my friend called me and said he could not make it,
that he had to work late. I almost drove away, thinking I wouldn't know anybody inside, but I reluctantly went inside alone
to check it out. :eek:

When I first walked in, I ran into Dennis Wilson and his lovely wife Rose. Wow! Old friends of mine who happened
to be running the tournament. We chatted for a while, and then I moseyed on inside the tournament room, and there
was Tom-Tom, Timmy Crown, Black Brandon, and a slew of othe Maryland pool peeps. It was just like old times,
me sitting on the rail with them, cackling and laughing. I had a blast. :rotflmao:

I went outside to smoke a cigarette, and there he was in full view, the infamous Keith McCready aka Grady Seasons.
I never met him before, but I knew about him from my old boyfriend Geese. Geese went to California and hung out
with Keith and Cole Dickson playing pool all over the state. In fact, Cole and Geese became pretty good buddies. :smiling-heart:

So I got my nerve up and spoke to this Keith McCready, a stranger to me, while puffing on my cigarette and said,
"You may know my old boyfriend. He said he stayed with you in California. His name is Geese." Keith immediately
acknowedged Geese, and we shared a few Geese stories, pool tales that are always funny and entertaining. ;)

And up walks this short man who smiles at Keith as he's getting ready to enter the venue. Keith introduces me to him
and says that his name is Jose. I was pretty green about professional pool back then. In fact, I didn't know anything about
who's who in pool on the national scene back then. I said, "Hi, Jose. Do you play pool too?" Jose giggled and nodded his head yes
and quickly entered the venue, without saying a word. :p

Jose Parica, the man I asked if he played pool too, ended up winning the tournament at the Capital City Classic that week. :grin:

The story continues from here about Keith, me, and the legendary Larry Lisciotti, but I'll save that for another time. :cool:

Attachments

• Jose and Keith in Quincy.JPG
    Jose and Keith in Quincy.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,166
Last edited:

Pangit

Banned
Nothing against Jose personally, but his slow play is excruciating to watch...How many world championships or US opens has he won? I see him as a perpetual bridesmaid.

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bridesmaid?

Bridesmaid? If Jose was a bridesmaid the groom might have run off on the bride.For the cash as good as any.Jose is alot like Nick Varner(who put the rabbit back in the hat on the Magician ) Jay i agree one of the best!

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a great photo of Jose, Bustie, Efren, et al.! Thanks for sharing.

Jose is a good friend of Keith's. In fact, when I met Keith for the very first time in Maryland, he was traveling with Jose Parica
from Derby City Classic to the Capital City Classic in Maryland. :grin-loving:

I went outside to smoke a cigarette, and there he was in full view, the infamous Keith McCready aka Grady Seasons.
I never met him before, but I knew about him from my old boyfriend Geese. Geese went to California and hung out
with Keith and Cole Dickson playing pool all over the state. In fact, Cole and Geese became pretty good buddies. :smiling-heart:

And up walks this short man who smiles at Keith as he's getting ready to enter the venue. Keith introduces me to him
and says that his name is Jose. I was pretty green about professional pool back then. In fact, I didn't know anything about
who's who in pool on the national scene back then. I said, "Hi, Jose. Do you play pool too?" Jose giggled and nodded his head yes
and quickly entered the venue, without saying a word. :p

Jose Parica, the man I asked if he played pool too, ended up winning the tournament at the Capital City Classic that week. :grin:

The story continues from here about Keith, me, and the legendary Larry Lisciotti, but I'll save that for another time. :cool:

This is what I love about this site.
Asking Jose if he played pool too :lol:

Great story, Jam. I'm ready for the book! And I'll order 2 if Keith and you sign it. ;)

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing against Jose personally, but his slow play is excruciating to watch...How many world championships or US opens has he won? I see him as a perpetual bridesmaid.

You should try searching before inserting foot

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yeah, but he beat all those guys for the cash! For over twenty years no one wanted a piece of him playing even, Taiwan, China, USA and Europe included! Top players routinely got the eight ball playing Ten Ball and some got the eight, nine and ten. It still wasn't enough! Earl got drilled in his prime getting the nine ball playing Ten Ball. Buddy was our best and he continually ducked Parica.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Parica had won close to one hundred tournaments in the U.S., thirteen in Japan, and three in the Philippines (the 1980, 1989 and 1992 Philippine Nine-ball Open Championships). In 1988, Parica participated in the Japanese circuit, winning eight of
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the nine tournaments he competed in, and placing 2nd in the other. That same year, he
--------------------------------------------------------------------
won the World Pro Tournament, the largest tournament of the time, beating arch-rival Reyes 9–3 in the finals. The tournament was played in Tokyo and had 900 players. Parica earned the first prize of ¥5M. That year, Parica had total winnings of $289K.

wiki

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anybody know what happened to Jose? Is he still alive and well? I always liked his game.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

We (the United States Billiard Media Association) inducted Jose' "Amang" Parica in the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame in 2014. In my not-so-humble opinion, it was long overdue. The primary reason for me personally in wanting to be part of the USBMA was to do everything I could to get Jose' Parica in.

Mission accomplished.

Next up: Kim Davenport.

Freddie <~~~ Mission Not Impossible

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The really sad thing is not pulling hard for Jerry Briesath. He should have been inducted years ago, for his 50+ years of contributing positively to the game!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

[Q&UOTE=Cornerman;6064431]We (the United States Billiard Media Association) inducted Jose' "Amang" Parica in the Billiard Congress of America Hall of Fame in 2014. In my not-so-humble opinion, it was long overdue. The primary reason for me personally in wanting to be part of the USBMA was to do everything I could to get Jose' Parica in.

Mission accomplished.

Next up: Kim Davenport.

Freddie <~~~ Mission Not Impossible[/QUOTE]

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
The really sad thing is not pulling hard for Jerry Briesath. He should have been inducted years ago, for his 50+ years of contributing positively to the game!

I shouldn't have to say this, but Jerry had plenty of support. Only one can get in for Meritorious every other year.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jose is living full time in the Phillipines now? That’s how I’m interpreting his “welcome home” celebration.

If that’s true, I wonder how his adjustment is going after living in CA for the past 3 decades.