One pocket Shot

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Ya think that is prefered to an uptable? I think there is little difference between the 2 shots, if executed properly...but I guess putting OB by the your side ,instead of uptable on your side is 'better'.

The only other shot I would play here is short rail with right-hand english
...hit thick so whitey is going down HIS side of the table and the object-
ball is banking towards your pocket.....
...sometimes the actual ball placings or how the table plays invites this
response.

The other options often leave a shot to send the ball towards his hole.

A winning one-pocket player is the guy who keeps giving his opponent
'questions' instead of 'answers'.

my opinion, of course....but I've had a couple people stop playing
one-hole with me.:cool:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
excellent thread,,,,,,,,this shot requires some practice in my opinion,,,,,,a slight mis-hit is a sure sellout.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I back kick with a little bottom sending the OB over to my side above the side pokdet and leaving the CB on the bottom rail.

Undercut it = sellout.

Over cut it = Scratch.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
This is the last ball ,sorry i should of posted that.
Thanks for all the reply's .

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
last ball on the table, I'd kick it softly from the short rail. Doing so from the long rail risks a bank more likely than the short rail will. And I mean ... softly giving my opponent a chance to make a mistake before making a shot.

Dudley

english happy
Silver Member
This shot is very playable as you have it diagrammed. a little low left is very helpful as you can hit it firm enough to get the object ball out of the danger zone. (danger =leaving a bank)

The draw and english really help the ball die after hitting the object ball.

As others have said you need to make sure you hit the ball as full as possible, otherwise no matter what english you use the cue ball will be moving.

If you hit too far behind the ball without the draw and left the scratch is huge. It will slide right into the hole.

If you shoot this shot a bunch of times you will find that it is not terribly hard to execute.

the ideal result imo:

CueTable Help

Dud

Last edited:

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the last ball ,sorry i should of posted that.
Thanks for all the reply's .
It appears from your diagram that the OB is a little off of straight in. But if the CB and OB are lined up straight in, the shot would be to make the OB and have your CB follow it into the pocket. Because of your scratch the OB would be spotted and so would one of your balls as a penalty. Thus your opponent's next shot would be at the 2 spotted balls from the kitchen.

If this cannot be done then I would prefer to gently roll the CB off the long rail striking the OB with just enough energyso that the OB touches the short rail.

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
Hit the cue-ball at 5 o'clock...long rail first.
Your job is to 'stick whitey' and sent the object ball towards
the side pocket where the cue-ball was.

It's a 'must learn' shot at one-hole....
...if you don't master it, the guy who's taking your cash probably has.

I agree! I'm not a good one pocket player, but this is the safest shot in my opinion.

subdude1974

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wish I knew how to do a diagram on here. An aggressive play in this situation is to come off the side rail with low left english and clip the the OB and play it 1 rail to your pocket. After contacting the OB, the CB goes cross table and retains the spin. Once it contacts the the other side it will spin down toward your oponents pocket. If there are other balls on the table then this could be a game winner if you make it. But, as stated before, it all depends on the situation.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very simple end game shot ,that comes up all the time,kick off back rail into object ball and leave qball on or near bottom rail with object ball up table on your side!do not try to make this ball,hope your opponent does.

Last edited:

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a very simple end game shot ,that comes up all the time,kick off back rail into object ball and leave qball on or near bottom rail with object ball up table on your side!do not try to make this ball,hope your opponent does.

I'm with you 100% on this. I see this scenario come into play a lot, end game or not. And I too play it the same way without any hesitation. I want to stick the CB right down where it is and move the OB up the table on my side. I see that several responses suggest to use low left in this situation but I'm very succesful using just the opposite. I use top right in this case. I'm thinking top or bottom should not matter as long as the cb is sliding at the point of contact (as long as the cb is sliding at the poc on a full hit it will stop, right???). If you have any different twists on this put ‘em on out there.

Gerry S

:eek:uttahere:

Last edited:

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
one pocket shot

Well I just got up after working at the pool room most of the night. YOU WOULD THINK I would look closely at a diagram before I opened my mouth. I did NOT notice which end of the table was the "business" end. After review (and a 1/2 cup of coffee). The shot is "fine" for getting a ball away from your opponents pocket (assuming there are no other balls on the table). Hit it "hard enough" to not leave an easy (or even make-able) straight back bank.

Red Shoes,

I would think a man of your talents would bank it cross corner into your hole?

CaptiveBred

C21H30O2
Silver Member
Id like to leave my opponant a sell out bank and hope he falls for it. Maybe leave the CB at his pocket and leave the OB in the opposite quadrant. Or leave it a bit easier and hope you get left a short rail bank.

It depends on how clever your victim is...