Ivory collar

AcuraHeel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there any benefit of having an ivory collar on a cue? Thanks for your opinions.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes. They are very pretty and have a unique hit that no other material plays like. Some love it and others hate it.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there any benefit of having an ivory collar on a cue? Thanks for your opinions.

i could not find the thread where this came up
it was regarding a steel piloted joint with an ivory collar
the responce was it doesnt hit like an ivory joint
and it doesnt hit like a "blend" of steel and ivory
but has a hit unique to its own as best as i can remember

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the Deal

As far as I've ever seen, there are basically 2 types of ib=vory joint whic i;ve ranked in descending order of overall feel and playability.....but keep in mind the shaft thread (thickness and number of treads) assumea role in determining overall feel of how the cue joint performs. Anyway, in descending order (highest to lowest)....the 3 types of Ivory cue joint are: 1. Flat Faced Ivory/Wood (shaft joint) 2. Piloted Ivory/Metal Collar (shaft joint) 3. Ivory Collar.

The ivory collar cue joint usually has a Ivor collar surrounding either a phenolic or wood flat faced cue joint. I haven't seen any piloted joint with just an ivory collar. From what I understand, the Ivory collar is more for looks than playability and after that, the flat faed Ivory joint plays the best of any jointout there and then the piloted Ivory joint. If you have any doubts, look at the best of the best of cuemakers and see their prized work.....the clear vast majority of these cues have ivory joints.....from Szamboti to Searing to Scruggs......all of their best work had ivory jointed cues....same for Hercek, Prewitt, Schick....the only exception would be George Balabushka since it's estimated he only made 1200 cues during his lifetime. It's reported that he made a very small number of Ivory joint cues andso naturally it normal to assume his best cue work was done using a piloted 5/16x14 steel joint that he was famous for using. Aside from old George B., Ivory cue joints are typically reserved for the best of the best.

Now that doesn't mean that everyone will fall in love with the hit and feel of Ivory.......but the majority of players normally do.....I did.......I played a steel joint for my first 49 years of pool playing and have played a ivory joint cue exclusively the past 18 months (flat faced Ivory joint Scruggs cue and a piloted Ivory joint Mottey cue).

For my two cents, Ivory is the only way to go if you can find a cue you like and can afford but always make sure the shafts have Ivory ferrules or it's not the best combination to use. Ivory ferrules and Ivory cue joints.......a sure fire winning combination and well worth the additional cost.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have had one cue that had ivory joint collars
ivory next to ivory
the cue played great,looked great
i don't know why
dean