The Ultimate Weapon Shaft

Ironwill

Registered
Howdy :wave3:

My name is Will and I'm new to these forums. I have a few questions to anyone with enough knowledge and experience to answer. But first allow me to give you my back info so you know how dumb I am :thumbup:

I got my first Cue in 92 while managing a pool hall near home. It was a Mizerack 19 oz snakeskin wrap which I believe retailed for around 250 or so. I have used nothing else in 18 years except this stick, so I have no experience or knowledge of whether the stick sucks or whether it's pretty nice. about 8 years ago in Myrtle Beach, I had a custom shaft made for it. When the guy asked what I was looking for, I told him that the 13 mm (original) just felt bulky and I wanted to be more pin point, so he suggested 11 or 11.5 mm, which worked out great btw. It also had a very hard, thin block tip put on it. Anyhow, I've always noticed that my long shots have a lot of deflection problems.

To get to a conclusion of that story, I quit shooting about 6 years ago, recently started back and have been shooting for bout 2 months again. I tried out a predator shaft on it for maybe 2 games(hardly enough time to tell), but it felt good. Problem was the diameter of the predator was too bulky. Then after internet searching I saw Meucci had this Ultimate Weapon Shaft which is 11.25 mm and supposedly the best against deflection :love: and I'm getting the urge to buy it.

Now with the questions....

1- Does anyone know if Mizerack cues back then were good quality or considered "disposable", cause I have no experience to compare to say Meucci or Joss?

2- Does anyone know anything about that new Meucci shaft the UW? Any review or opinion of it would be awesome.

3- If all was good with the UWS and I got it, should I add it to my Mizerack or should I get a Meucci piston to mate it to? ( I don't have loyalties, likes, or dislikes in namebrands so please throw any opinion out there)

4- If I put a moori tip on that UWS (that is if I got it) which would be the way to go? MED or HARD?

Thanks for any and all responses!

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Welcome,

First, was the predator shaft you played with a 314 or a Z? If it was a 314 then the tip is 12.75mm.

If it felt good, but it's a bit too big then try the Z shaft, it is 11.75.

Craig

Jcat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
xpro

contact az member TATE, he is selling the Tiger XPro shaft that is only 11.75 and very low deflection. I have one and love it.

Ironwill

Registered
Welcome,

First, was the predator shaft you played with a 314 or a Z? If it was a 314 then the tip is 12.75mm.

If it felt good, but it's a bit too big then try the Z shaft, it is 11.75.

Craig

Yes it was a 314. Have you heard anything good on that Meucci shaft compared to the Z? :shrug:

Ironwill

Registered
contact az member TATE, he is selling the Tiger XPro shaft that is only 11.75 and very low deflection. I have one and love it.

Onyx tip?? :confused: what the hell is that? :embarrassed2: Never heard of that kind of tip....is it any good?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Thanks JC - appreciate it!

To Will,

It probably is better to get back into the game for awhile and try out different equipment that your friends will have - to see if it suits your game.

The trend has gone to shorter ferrules, layered leather tips, low deflection shafts, etc. but these only make subtle differences that you may (or may not) notice once you get in stroke and get your game grooved.

You can spend a fortune dabbling with equipment. These shafts alone may cost more than many full cues and in some cases the tip costs as much as a house cue!

I can offer information on equipment I am familiar with, but it's impossible to recommend quipment to someone without knowing what their game is like. For example, for the vast majority of players, a standard 18 to 19 ounce two piece cue, 58", with a conventional pro taper shaft 12.5 to 13mm shaft and a Le Pro tip is all they need to play at peak or near peak of their game.

My cue is 18.5", 59" long, with an aftermarket 11.75mm shaft, a stack leather wrap, and a fancy $25 tip. In my hands it feels perfect and allows me to play at peak performance - I love it - but you might think it's terrible and I probably would have agreed a year ago. :smile: Maybe I would play at 5% - 10% under my speed with your cue, given a few weeks to adapt - that would be all the difference.

My suggestion is, once you get back in stroke, pick out a nice player's cue in the $400 range that you like that already comes with an LD shaft.

Chris

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Onyx tip?? :confused: what the hell is that? :embarrassed2: Never heard of that kind of tip....is it any good?

These are tips from Tiger products. That's what I use and I like it - a layered tip that's expensive.

Chris

Ironwill

Registered
Thanks JC - appreciate it!

To Will,

It probably is better to get back into the game for awhile and try out different equipment that your friends will have - to see if it suits your game.

The trend has gone to shorter ferrules, layered leather tips, low deflection shafts, etc. but these only make subtle differences that you may (or may not) notice once you get in stroke and get your game grooved.

You can spend a fortune dabbling with equipment. These shafts alone may cost more than many full cues and in some cases the tip costs as much as a house cue!

I can offer information on equipment I am familiar with, but it's impossible to recommend quipment to someone without knowing what their game is like. For example, for the vast majority of players, a standard 18 to 19 ounce two piece cue, 58", with a conventional pro taper shaft 12.5 to 13mm shaft and a Le Pro tip is all they need to play at peak or near peak of their game.

My cue is 18.5", 59" long, with an aftermarket 11.75mm shaft, a stack leather wrap, and a fancy $25 tip. In my hands it feels perfect and allows me to play at peak performance - I love it - but you might think it's terrible and I probably would have agreed a year ago. :smile: Maybe I would play at 5% - 10% under my speed with your cue, given a few weeks to adapt - that would be all the difference.

My suggestion is, once you get back in stroke, pick out a nice player's cue in the $400 range that you like that already comes with an LD shaft.

Chris

Thank ya Chris for the reply. I have my original shaft to that Mizerak coming back today hopefully. Its a 12.75 or 13mm replaced the ferrule, put a moori med on it, so I'll get two days of solid practice on it before a tournament in Charlotte NC Wednesday (lil one $10 entry)

If I cant seem to overcome this deflection frustration I'm gonna be like everyone else and trend to the LD stuff :D

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I notice quite a difference between my Meucci "Black Dot" shaft and my Predator Z2. The Z2 has less deflection which improves my long-shots game and that's good because I can stack up more wins that way. I'm shooting Kamui Black Softs on each shaft.
I am thinking very seriously about purchasing the UW shaft.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stay the F-%k away from the UW shaft.I've seen one and was brand new,warped to shit and the taper was so freakin bad along with the wood,I had to laugh but felt bad for the guy who bought it.It looked like a real bad snooker shaft.I'm a LD fan and have seen some shit pool cues and shafts but this sucker took first place in the poo-poo department.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stay the F-%k away from the UW shaft.I've seen one and was brand new,warped to shit and the taper was so freakin bad along with the wood,I had to laugh but felt bad for the guy who bought it.It looked like a real bad snooker shaft.I'm a LD fan and have seen some shit pool cues and shafts but this sucker took first place in the poo-poo department.

Thanks for your input. Maybe I'll slow down a bit and weigh the evidence a little more before I spend that kind of money.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for your input. Maybe I'll slow down a bit and weigh the evidence a little more before I spend that kind of money.
I wouldn't lie to you,and wouldn't want anyone to have the disappointment this guy had when he got his.Goodluck though:smile:

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Don't get wrapped around the axle over "LD"...ALL shafts deflect (even "LD" shafts) some more or less than others. By all means, give them a try, but I wouldn't spend all my time and extra money chasing them for a while, yet.

Mizerak had his name on alot of cues...some were real junk, some not so bad...if you paid a couple of hundred, it's probably one of the better made Asian imports that were out there back in the early 90s. I think even Adam made some for a while, but I could be wrong. Not necessarily a bad cue, but If I were you, I'd go ahead and pick up a nice McDermott or even a Joss. They shoot great right off the rack and don't cost a whole lot more than one of the LD shafts you're looking to hang on your Mizerak cue; and you can take your time and try several different LD shafts as you run across them and make an informed decision on whether one would even benefit you (they're not for everyone, a lot of folks play their best with stock maple). For example, you might find that while an LD shaft might give you a little more accuracy (forgiveness on stroke error) it might not have nearly as much juice/action on the cue ball, so more difficult to control the CB.

santamaria

Wrapless pls ;)
Silver Member
Don't get wrapped around the axle over "LD"...ALL shafts deflect (even "LD" shafts) some more or less than others. By all means, give them a try, but I wouldn't spend all my time and extra money chasing them for a while, yet.

i agree with this:thumbup:

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UW a step up from Black Dot!

I went ahead and bought the UW shaft after all. I love it. I can barely notice the difference between it and my Black Dots on all the short stuff, but the long shots where I'm using sidespin on the cue have improved markedly. To me, that's what I paid for. My Meucci butt has behaved flawlessly and I love both shafts I now have for it.
If I were a pro, I'd do what the Pro's do and buy what they buy. I shoot several hours a day (3 sometimes 4 hours or more) and like I said, the UW is a step up for me.:)

Last edited:

chick4u2hate

Hello

Hello, I stumbled across this thread while trying to figure out something about pool cues. The truth is that I have no idea about them however my boyfriend is a pool player. I am going to purchase him a pool cue for Christmas. So far I know that I am going to get him a Meucci Sneaky Pete cue which he said was the best he has ever shot with and liked it really well. I was thinking about upgrading the shaft from the Blackdot shaft to either a Meucci Ultimate Weapon for $75 extra or to a Predator Z2 for $80 extra. My question is which is the best deal and the best shaft for the Meucci Sneaky Pete cue?

super195v

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stay away from the Muecci shafts, I'd highly recommend a predator 314-2 on any cue as an aftermarket shaft. He will be very happy

Webbs Billiards

Billiards Dealer
Silver Member
I've seen warped shafts of every maker, it's what happens when you make anything out of wood. Meucci makes great products, but just like any business they've had down times. Just remember, if someone had a good experience with a company, they will tell 10 of their friends, but one error and they will tell everyone they know. Everytime I see a post where someone is hating Meucci products, the poster always starts out with "I saw...." or "a friends of mine had one 10 years ago".. I've sold plenty of Meucci cues, and I've had ZERO complaints on the quality of the cues, and TONS of compliments. So, keep in mind that not everyone can like everything.

ImaPoolnut

I'm just a PoolNut
Silver Member
Meucci UW Pro shaft review

Howdy :wave3:

My name is Will and I'm new to these forums. I have a few questions to anyone with enough knowledge and experience to answer. But first allow me to give you my back info so you know how dumb I am :thumbup:

I got my first Cue in 92 while managing a pool hall near home. It was a Mizerack 19 oz snakeskin wrap which I believe retailed for around 250 or so. I have used nothing else in 18 years except this stick, so I have no experience or knowledge of whether the stick sucks or whether it's pretty nice. about 8 years ago in Myrtle Beach, I had a custom shaft made for it. When the guy asked what I was looking for, I told him that the 13 mm (original) just felt bulky and I wanted to be more pin point, so he suggested 11 or 11.5 mm, which worked out great btw. It also had a very hard, thin block tip put on it. Anyhow, I've always noticed that my long shots have a lot of deflection problems.

To get to a conclusion of that story, I quit shooting about 6 years ago, recently started back and have been shooting for bout 2 months again. I tried out a predator shaft on it for maybe 2 games(hardly enough time to tell), but it felt good. Problem was the diameter of the predator was too bulky. Then after internet searching I saw Meucci had this Ultimate Weapon Shaft which is 11.25 mm and supposedly the best against deflection :love: and I'm getting the urge to buy it.

Now with the questions....

1- Does anyone know if Mizerack cues back then were good quality or considered "disposable", cause I have no experience to compare to say Meucci or Joss?

2- Does anyone know anything about that new Meucci shaft the UW? Any review or opinion of it would be awesome.

3- If all was good with the UWS and I got it, should I add it to my Mizerack or should I get a Meucci piston to mate it to? ( I don't have loyalties, likes, or dislikes in namebrands so please throw any opinion out there)

4- If I put a moori tip on that UWS (that is if I got it) which would be the way to go? MED or HARD?

Thanks for any and all responses!

Just received my custom ordered UW Pro Shaft that I ordered from the Meucci booth at the Super Billiards Expo. I'm super impressed with the turn-around, typically 2-3 months, this was like 3 weeks with a custom ring. Anyhow, I've been playing with Original Meucci's since the early 80's and have about 8 shafts of various mm as I've had them turned smaller over the years. I've found that I really like a 11.75 and you can always have your shaft made to whatever diameter you want when you order your shaft from Meucci. 11.25 is a little too slim, almost heading towards a snooker cue taper, but I definitely have had all my shafts which were 12.5-12.75 turned down a bit from a repair shop.

As for the new shaft compared to the old and how does it hit. It hits absolutely like a dream. I've had the pleasure of hitting with a Predator on my Meucci and was impressed, but this UW Pro takes it to the next level as far as I' concerned. I do like the "springiness" of the original Meucci shafts better, but you pay the price of deflection with that twang. These UW pro's are the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. I've seen the Pro and the played with the Predator. The UW Pro is the best of both the Meucci Pro series shafts in a smaller diameter. I highly suggest it and you can get it to match whatever ring you have, but with your Miz cue that's not an issue. I have no help for you on the Miz cue,sorry. Check the used gear forums.

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Just received my custom ordered UW Pro Shaft that I ordered from the Meucci booth at the Super Billiards Expo. I'm super impressed with the turn-around, typically 2-3 months, this was like 3 weeks with a custom ring. Anyhow, I've been playing with Original Meucci's since the early 80's and have about 8 shafts of various mm as I've had them turned smaller over the years. I've found that I really like a 11.75 and you can always have your shaft made to whatever diameter you want when you order your shaft from Meucci. 11.25 is a little too slim, almost heading towards a snooker cue taper, but I definitely have had all my shafts which were 12.5-12.75 turned down a bit from a repair shop.

As for the new shaft compared to the old and how does it hit. It hits absolutely like a dream. I've had the pleasure of hitting with a Predator on my Meucci and was impressed, but this UW Pro takes it to the next level as far as I' concerned. I do like the "springiness" of the original Meucci shafts better, but you pay the price of deflection with that twang. These UW pro's are the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned. I've seen the Pro and the played with the Predator. The UW Pro is the best of both the Meucci Pro series shafts in a smaller diameter. I highly suggest it and you can get it to match whatever ring you have, but with your Miz cue that's not an issue. I have no help for you on the Miz cue,sorry. Check the used gear forums.

I got mine yesterday too that I ordered at the expo