Louie Roberts Video....VINTAGE GAMBLING

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked an old pool player about Louie Roberts. He said he wasnt very impressed with him, and I kept pressing him on how he played. (Most pool players and especially the older ones knock everyone, just amazes me) He finally told me I should see for myself, and he had a long gambling session of Louie giving up the nuts. I had never seen Louie play live, or on tape.

As JAM noted here several times, there are VERY few videos from the old days showing the older players. Today we have YOUTUBE, ACCUSTATS, and hell lots of others.

Well I got the video and it is several hours long, he is giving the guy several balls in the spot and pretty much killing him. The other neat thing about the video is how much Louie is like Keith McCready....talking the entire time. If I was playing him, there would have been a mum rule.

Not sure what I should do with the video, it is amazing. Louie plays absolutely perfect position on old gold crown table.

ANY LOUIE ROBERTS fans out there?

Ken

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Post it up sir!!! Something like that needs to be shared for all of us that never got to see him play. If you need someone to do it..I would

sent from a rooted evo 4g with the new Synergy Rom by myn

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Louie was one of a kind from my understanding. There are several threads about him on here and I know some people pretty well that knew Louie personally. He had demons but was a generally likeable guy and could shoot the lights out.

He would roll out to table length cuts that most people might bank and he would slice them in and run out. Problem with Louie (from my understanding) he couldn't go to sleep with money in his pocket.

I have heard several stories about him..some of the funniest are as follows....

Louie would pawn his cue at tournaments to get money for gambling...he would pawn it to several people, and I guess once he was playing in a big ring game with all the champs and had pawned it to several people and when he finally lost his last barrel and exhausted all avenues to get more money he just kind of quietly sat the cue down on an adjacent table and exited the building!! LMAO...I guess there were several arguments as to who the cue belonged to.

Also, he would eat by pushing carts around grocery stores and eating and drinking all the while...he'd load it up, make a sandwich, drink a beer, and when he was content just leave the cart in an isle and make his exit.

He was one of a kind from what I hear...wish I could of met him.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man, Louie Roberts was the real deal. All he would say is let me see it, I can make it. And thats no BS, watched him play a few times at the Sports Center and Cue and Cushion in STL.

Louie was a cool guy, easy to talk to. He is really missed in STL.

Oh yeah, post up the video please.

John

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One line in the video, Louie says,"This guy has beat everybody in St. Louis, he wont beat me..."

He had balls, Ill give him that.

LMAO

ken

Tom In Cincy

AKA SactownTom
Silver Member
Louis went to LV to make a video. A lot of great players were there. This was in the late 80s when Meucci had a great cue and had a lot of player reps.
Rempe, Howard, Segal, Strickland and the ladies Ms. Loree John Jones (at that time)

Louie was there for the POWER stroke part of the video. I don't know how many copies they sold but I bought one and ONE SOB borrowed it and this SOB didn't get it back.

Louie was the house pro at High Pockets in Memphis during this period. I saw him match up playing one pocket and 8 ball. I never saw him play 9 ball.

He was the real thing.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Post it on YouTube so that it's preserved for everyone. We need to see the legend in action!!!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Louie was the house pro at High Pockets in Memphis during this period. I saw him match up playing one pocket and 8 ball. I never saw him play 9 ball.

He was the real thing.

This was 9 ball....

Did he talk all the time he played or was he "putting on a show".

Ken

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Louis was cornered by a reporter once....
..He asked "Louie, how much do you figure you've lost gambling?"

Louie replied "Uh...would you believe a down payment on an
air craft carrier?"

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm out of town now visiting my daughter in Sedona, so I don't have time to make a proper answer now about Louie. Let me just say that he was absolutely the best shotmaker I ever saw! And that includes present day players. If he could see it, he could make it. And the object ball went in on a line, never touching anything. PURE POCKET all the way! He would shoot extremely difficult cut shots at warp speed. And make them over and over again!

Louie was handsome, personable and had a good sense of humor about life, pool, girls, everything. The women LOVED him! And he loved them back :smile:. The hours and days I spent around Louie and Keith are full of priceless memories for me. They are both American originals, none like them before or since. Only Alex among the current crop of players comes close to having the charisma these two had.

I loved Louie and yet sometimes I hated him. He was a severe alcoholic and could be more than a handful at times. My last physical fight was with Louie and it was a doozy, lasting maybe 20 minutes before he finally gave up and fell asleep in my arms. I had him pinned down on a bed in a hotel room. Thank God because I was exhausted too. True story!

Last edited:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
More Louie

Excerpt from my book The GosPool:

While living with hypochondriac Chicago cue maker, Joe Gold, Louie once emptied Gold's well stocked medicine cabinet. The cue maker routinely had shelves of assorted medicines that could bring you up, take you down, make you totally rhummy, or eliminate all pain.
Louie (no pharmacist he), would just take potluck and play Pill-Russian–Roulette. He'd say, "I'll try two of those white ones with three of those pinkies, and then seal the deal with one of those red babies. I'll save these brown stripers for later." Louie would chase them all down with a few six–packs of beer, then play for days and never miss a ball.
I put Louie, at or near the top, of pool players that could consume inordinate amounts of various chemical combinations and still play a monster speed of pool.

Beard

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Louie was a player who spun whitey' like efren, tho not as ''drastic''. He made the next step to becoming someone ''who could play'', with the changing of the guard in St. Louis when he finally beat Ardel Lissour, not sure if the spelling is correct. Ran into Ardel's widow yrs after his death in a bar tournament/pool playing town in MO, with Wolford/Whitey Walker/Lutman and suches territory. She was a very pretty woman, and a stand up gal, only time I ever saw her. Was rainin' hard, damp, wet, good people, and good pool.
Late 60's/early 70's....Louie played better than Mike Carella, and Carella didn't play as good as Varner, don't think Nick was ready for Louie yet.

Last edited:

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
being from st.louis, hopefully you will put this video out there .there isn't much if any with louie around.if not,well....thats just criminal.

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
Gimme!

There's a reason the Derby City Classic has an award titled after Roberts and it's absolutely deserved! Every player who ever speaks of him and knew him personally in my area always says the same thing, "he was one of, if not the best that ever played...". What a showman and entertainer! I would love to see another video of him playing! Now come on Ken, gimme the goods brotha! :thumbup: