Cyclop Balls

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I like to rely on myself being, logical, a good observer, both of which have served me pretty well over the years.

If I am betting my life on which brand is better quality, Aramith or Cyclop, I'm confidently going with Aramith, zero hesitation.

Johnny come lately (Cyclop) vs the old school standard by which all others are compared (Aramith), a raised logo (Cyclop) vs smooth as a baby's behind (Aramith), Asian import (Cyclop) vs Belgium made (Aramith)....

it didn't take much salesmanship to convince me which balls *really* are the better ones. ;)

best,
brian kc

I gotta agree with kicken chicken here, well said, it will be some time before we find out if the Cyclops balls pass the test of time like Aramith.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I like to rely on myself being logical and a good observer, both of which have served me pretty well over the years.

If I am betting my life on which brand is better quality, Aramith or Cyclop, I'm confidently going with Aramith, zero hesitation.

Johnny come lately (Cyclop) vs the old school standard by which all others are compared (Aramith), a raised logo (Cyclop) vs smooth as a baby's behind (Aramith), Asian import (Cyclop) vs Belgium made (Aramith)....

it didn't take much salesmanship to convince me which balls *really* are the better ones. ;)

best,
brian kc
I have yet to see a set of Cyclop balls....but they're losing me on the raised logo.

It's actually RAISED? :yikes:
If it is, it means there are a whole lot of things wrong.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to rely on myself being logical and a good observer, both of which have served me pretty well over the years.

best,
brian kc

Have you played with a set? They play good although I don't care for the cue ball.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hm, like the red dot cue-ball from Diamond looks like it has depth but is actually smooth?
I got to get one.

no, it's raised to the touch. really.

this doesn't inspire confidence in quality.

@ rexus: I like the look of the cyclop balls and they played well in the 10 or so racks I've played with them. I did put the cue ball away in favor of the much more preferred measel ball.

There had been reports of excessive skidding; I didn't experience this.

best,
brian kc

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no, it's raised to the touch. really.

this doesn't inspire confidence in quality.

@ rexus: I like the look of the cyclop balls and they played well in the 10 or so racks I've played with them. I did put the cue ball away in favor of the much more preferred measel ball.

There had been reports of excessive skidding; I didn't experience this.

best,
brian kc

Sounds like you have a defective one. Not sure about others, but mine is silky smooth to the touch.

alaskanadams

Registered
I'm thinking the propaganda machine is in high gear.........the cue ball is perfectly smooth. I have a brand new set of the (skittle) balls and a brand new set of super aramith pro (TV pro-cup). Both sets are perfect, both sets are beautiful, I have 0 (zero) complaints with either set.
As far as another company in the biz...I think competition is always good for all of us, better quality, lower prices, more R&D.............total win win for all of us. FYI, I am playing both of these sets of balls on a brand new table that is as perfect as any table I've ever played on. There are no funny rolls with either set. In case your wondering...the table is a Olhausen Montrechet 8' with accu-guard cloth....thanks...mark

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking the propaganda machine is in high gear.........the cue ball is perfectly smooth. I have a brand new set of the (skittle) balls and a brand new set of super aramith pro (TV pro-cup). Both sets are perfect, both sets are beautiful, I have 0 (zero) complaints with either set.
As far as another company in the biz...I think competition is always good for all of us, better quality, lower prices, more R&D.............total win win for all of us. FYI, I am playing both of these sets of balls on a brand new table that is as perfect as any table I've ever played on. There are no funny rolls with either set. In case your wondering...the table is a Olhausen Montrechet 8' with accu-guard cloth....thanks...mark

no "propaganda from me - simply sharing a first hand experience.

very possible that the earlier cyclop sets came with a cue ball that features the raised logo, which is exactly what I have.

and as I previously stated, balls look good and play good as far as I could tell in about 10 racks.

But with that said, for reasons also previously stated, I remain convinced that aramith super pro and centennial sets are superior.

imo

best,
brian kc

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

best,
brian kc
I agree with this Brian. All else being equal the established long standing company should have the quality advantage. the newer brand is the one that has to do the proving. but in a situation where perception is often considered reality its easy to ignore actual reality.

I have been given many ball sets for testing. all claimed to as good as aramith or better. some of them looked and played as good as Aramith in my opinion. Aramith though has one challenge that I have not seen any other brand that I have tested pass. it is the rub test. Rubbing a ball vigourously on the cloth no color should transfer from the ball to the cloth and the ball itself should have no damage.

I have not tested Cyclop balls because I have no reason to. But the rub test is the single reason I have never marketed any of those other brands as Aramith alternatives. Good as they are and some of them are very good in my opinion, they still did not perform as well as Aramith in all tests. And to me resisting friction burn is a big thing for a pool ball.

Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue ball in the Skittles set I had the cue ball logo was raised slightly. Didn't seem to affect playability, but it was there.

alaskanadams

Registered
I apologize if I offended anyone with the "propaganda" comment. If some of you have cyclop balls with the raised logo on the cue ball, I believe you. If mine had come with that cue ball I would have sent the balls back. At this point in time I like them. I agree with the statement that if you could only buy one set, the aramiths would be the way to go. I'm just happy to see some competition.

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the set i've shot with had a cueball that was smooth. you could see the depth of the little logo on it, but that was definitely beneath the surface and perfectly smooth to the touch. i've not shot with the cueball that came with the set, however, as my buddy that got the set prefers the measle ball. love the way they play in the time that i've shot with them. made a decent chunk of change in the ring game we played with them a few weeks ago. haha

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
no "propaganda from me - simply sharing a first hand experience.

very possible that the earlier cyclop sets came with a cue ball that features the raised logo, which is exactly what I have.

and as I previously stated, balls look good and play good as far as I could tell in about 10 racks.

But with that said, for reasons also previously stated, I remain convinced that aramith super pro and centennial sets are superior.

imo

best,
brian kc

8-5 here's a thread I had started....

Here's my feelings about them, and they kept me in a bad mood for some reason. What I found is this, with my new eye prescription, I can clearly see the sharp edges of ball numbers on any of your average or high end ball sets....but my eyes cannot pic and see and exact spot on the object ball, weird and I'm not impressed. Now the diamond red logo on the cue ball has nice crisp edges, but nothing else about the ball set is define, nebulous at best, perfect word to describe the balls markings and outside edge of obj. balls. It feels like they are glowing NOT in the dark.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
8-5 here's a thread I had started....

Here's my feelings about them, and they kept me in a bad mood for some reason. What I found is this, with my new eye prescription, I can clearly see the sharp edges of ball numbers on any of your average or high end ball sets....but my eyes cannot pic and see and exact spot on the object ball, weird and I'm not impressed. Now the diamond red logo on the cue ball has nice crisp edges, but nothing else about the ball set is define, nebulous at best, perfect word to describe the balls markings and outside edge of obj. balls. It feels like they are glowing NOT in the dark.

Bill;

I think I get what you're saying.

There's a luminescence to these balls that makes the edges less sharp than the traditional balls you're used to. Is that it?

And were you using the skittles colored set or the traditional color set?

I'm gonna have to drag my set out and have another look but with my eyeballs, most everything is luminescent. :embarrassed2:

best,
brian kc

Last edited: