8 ball rule clearing up

Spikeithard

Registered
Just a couple last things to fully understand the rules of 8 ball.

situation came up tonight with my friend...

If I am stripes and I call corner pocket (I know its a shot call game and you only have to call the ball and pocket with no regard on how it gets there as long as it goes in) , and I hit my stripe ball first and then it hits a solid ball and it goes in first and THEN my stripe ball goes in after it in the same pocket. I get to keep going right? Ie I shoot CB into the 10 (which I called) and the 10 hits the 4 (his ball) and the 4 goes in just before the 10.

Can you shoot back table from behind the line with a BIH (after a foul on the break shot only)? I assume you can but just want to be clear on this one.

and finally, this situation also came up and caused a dust up between us.

He was getting ready for a shot and his cue slipped away from his fingers and touched one of his balls (not the object ball he was shooting at) and moved it about .5 inches away. I called a BIH foul on this. Is this correct? the ball he touched with his cue was right beside the cue ball when it slipped away and hit it. He was shooting the 2 ball but clipped the 5 ball.

Thanks!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a couple last things to fully understand the rules of 8 ball.

situation came up tonight with my friend...

If I am stripes and I call corner pocket (I know its a shot call game and you only have to call the ball and pocket with no regard on how it gets there as long as it goes in) , and I hit my stripe ball first and then it hits a solid ball and it goes in first and THEN my stripe ball goes in after it in the same pocket. I get to keep going right? Ie I shoot CB into the 10 (which I called) and the 10 hits the 4 (his ball) and the 4 goes in just before the 10.

Can you shoot back table from behind the line with a BIH (after a foul on the break shot only)? I assume you can but just want to be clear on this one.

and finally, this situation also came up and caused a dust up between us.

He was getting ready for a shot and his cue slipped away from his fingers and touched one of his balls (not the object ball he was shooting at) and moved it about .5 inches away. I called a BIH foul on this. Is this correct? the ball he touched with his cue was right beside the cue ball when it slipped away and hit it. He was shooting the 2 ball but clipped the 5 ball.

Thanks!

As long as you make a legal hit, and make the ball, anything that happens in between is fine. You can bounce of 3 of his balls, make 2 of them and kill a bird, as long as your ball goes in the called pocket it's fine. Assuming no other fouls happened.

Not sure what you mean about shooting back table from behind the line, if it's ball in hand anywhere on the table, you can shoot at anything in any direction. If you are playing ball in hand behind the line, then you can only shoot at balls that are in front of the line or kick or spin the cueball past the line then back in. "Real" 8 ball rules for most tournaments and pro events are ball in hand anywhere on the table. After the break, in modern rules, it's ball in hand anywhere on the table. If your only ball you can hit is behind the line and you are playing behind the line on a foul, that ball gets spotted so you can hit it. This prevents cheap fouls like where the 8 ball is on the rail behind the line, and the other guy just commits a foul so you need to kick at your ball. The point of you getting a foul shot is to punish him for the foul, not as strategy to have you be in a worse position. So you would spot the 8 ball, then shoot at it from behind the line, not be forced to kick at it.

About accidentally hitting a ball with something during a shot, most rules are cue ball foul only, unless it's a blatant and deliberate foul. Meaning if you accidentally move a ball (not the cueball or with a cueball), the opponent can put the ball where it is or leave it at the new location, but it's not a foul. If you move 2+ balls, or if a moved ball would have interfered with another ball or the cueball if it was not moved, then it's a foul. So if you move a ball, then the cueball travels near where that other ball used to sit, it's a foul. If you move a ball but he cueball is not near that location, it's not a foul and the other player can decide to leave the ball or move it to where it was. Hitting the cueball by accident is always a foul. Moving a ball deliberately (say just pocking your stick at a cluster to break it up) is also foul and could be a loss of game ruling as unsportsmanlike conduct.

Last edited: