14.1 Strategy

Vinman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although there are already a few threads concerning 14.1, I’ve started this one to open a discussion on the strategies of the game. I’m working hard to improve my game and so would appreciate any insight from the straight pool monsters out there. To get things started, some things about my game that I’ve recently noticed or struggled with are:

Break shots

Although they are not usually considered as desirable as side of the rank break shots, I seem to have good percentage of success using side pocket break shots as well as balls below the rack and on the bottom rail. I don’t go out of my way to create these break shots, but accept them if they are there. Although they are sometimes harder to setup, they often seem to allow better cue ball control after the break, and less risk of scratching. While on the subject, how early in a particular rack should you select a break ball?

Speed on the break shot

When I hit them too hard I often end up with too many clusters and balls on the rail, or re-clustering of balls back into the rack area. Are there any rules of thumb to help you gauge how hard to hit a break shot?

Clearance strategy

Once the balls are open, what is the best way to go about clearing them? Is it best to work from the outside in, or inside out? What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? My pattern play for the most part is circular from the outside in.​

Please share any tips, strategy or advice that might help us aspiring straight pool players. Thanks!

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vinman said:
Although there are already a few threads concerning 14.1, I’ve started this one to open a discussion on the strategies of the game. I’m working hard to improve my game and so would appreciate any insight from the straight pool monsters out there. To get things started, some things about my game that I’ve recently noticed or struggled with are:

Break shots

Although they are not usually considered as desirable as side of the rank break shots, I seem to have good percentage of success using side pocket break shots as well as balls below the rack and on the bottom rail. I don’t go out of my way to create these break shots, but accept them if they are there. Although they are sometimes harder to setup, they often seem to allow better cue ball control after the break, and less risk of scratching. While on the subject, how early in a particular rack should you select a break ball?​

The underlying problem with using a side-pocket break-ball is that it's difficult to determine where you're going to strike the rack. If you're hitting the top of the rack, you'll be fine but if you hit the side, there's a great chance of caroming right into the corner. Personally, I think this illustrates that you need to become more comfortable with more traditional break-shots. In the long-run (and likely short-run), you'll see the advantages to them.

Personally, I like leaving all balls that can be used as break-balls until I've cleared enough of the rack to make an end-pattern. Sometimes, the rack will simply favor a side-rack breakshot and sometimes it will favor a behind-rack breakshot. Sometimes neither and sometimes both. The advantage to leaving a few options is it allows you to improvise if your intended break-shot is no longer part of a good pattern.

Vinman said:
Speed on the break shot

When I hit them too hard I often end up with too many clusters and balls on the rail, or re-clustering of balls back into the rack area. Are there any rules of thumb to help you gauge how hard to hit a break shot?

The only things that are certain when it comes to how the balls will spread is this: Hit the rack too soft and you'll have one HUGE cluster. The only way to get them to spread all over the table is to hit it hard.

Dealing with post-break clusters is part of the game but if you want to avoid clusters as much as possible, the rule-of-thumb is to hit the break hard.

Vinman said:
Clearage strategy

Once the balls are open, what is the best way to go about clearing them? Is it best to work from the outside in, or inside out? What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? My pattern play for the most part is circular from the outside in.
Vinman said:
Please share any tips, strategy or advice that might help us aspiring straight pool players. Thanks!

There are MANY things to consider and I'm certain any list I give you will definitely miss a few important points but here goes:

1. Address clusters with urgency
2. Clear pocket paths with urgency
3. Trouble-shots (rail shots & out-liers) should have priority

Once these are addressed, you want to send the cue-ball into areas of the table where you can play a series of small shots.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An old timer once told be straight is such an easy game you really don't even need strategy; just make a ball, and make sure you get easy position for your next shot. Don't worry about break shots he said.

Just kidding.

Straight pool will make a pretty decent player look like a sucker against a good shooter who does not know the game.

I feel like an incompetent moron trying to match up with a good shooter I know who has ran over seventy balls...

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The most basic strategy for a new player/ trying to learn more at 14.1 ...

Is be patient and wait for the other player to make mistakes and capatilize on them...Play smart safes and learn how to develop a Great Touch around the stack...If you learn to skin the stack ever so slightly on safes it will improve your game exponentially

Most people want to focus on offense in Straight pool but Defense can win you far more games...Forcing the other guy into tough shots and misses opens the table for you..

Don't invent shots if nothing is there play a safe....If you can combine conservative play with pocketing balls and good patterns you will go far at 14.1

Mosconi's little Red book has great Straight pool 411 and Capelle's 14.1 Book has great insight as well...

lewdo26

Registered User will do
Silver Member
"Straight pool is easy" --- meaning, the easy shot tells you what easy shot to take next with minimal cueball movement. I'm also finding it useful to open lanes. Don't think of blockers only as pocket blockers, but also position lane blockers. Sometimes shooting one particular ball in a tight grouping (not a cluster) can open up an entire rack in the middle to endgame.

That's after you've addressed your clusters, problem balls, and blockers. But what do I know?

I'm also attentive to eliminate balls in the middle of the table if I get a chance. Oh, and don't force the issue. I used to miss shots trying to save my key and break balls. But nowadays, if I'm in trouble, I go ahead and unabashedly shoot my break ball in before I sell out the rack. I can always play safe, but if I go for a tough shot to leave my break ball and miss it, I'm playing for the other guy.

Last edited:

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Kiss said:
The most basic strategy for a new player/ trying to learn more at 14.1 ...

Is be patient and wait for the other player to make mistakes and capatilize on them...Play smart safes and learn how to develop a Great Touch around the stack...If you learn to skin the stack ever so slightly on safes it will improve your game exponentially

Most people want to focus on offense in Straight pool but Defense can win you far more games...Forcing the other guy into tough shots and misses opens the table for you..

Don't invent shots if nothing is there play a safe....If you can combine conservative play with pocketing balls and good patterns you will go far at 14.1

Mosconi's little Red book has great Straight pool 411 and Capelle's 14.1 Book has great insight as well...

Although you're right, defense can win you lots of games against weak players, straight-pool is an offense-oriented game. The guy who gets-up ready to pocket everything in sight is usually the guy who is going to win. I've seen a lot of players who employ this strategy in the local leagues and most will do quite well but it's a Pyrrhic victory. You're sacraficing proper approach to gain a win against a relatively uncompetitive opponent.

Look to pocket balls and let defense be something to consider when you can't.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Vinman said:

Break shots

Although they are not usually considered as desirable as side of the rank break shots, I seem to have good percentage of success using side pocket break shots as well as balls below the rack and on the bottom rail. I don’t go out of my way to create these break shots, but accept them if they are there. Although they are sometimes harder to setup, they often seem to allow better cue ball control after the break, and less risk of scratching. While on the subject, how early in a particular rack should you select a break ball?

Speed on the break shot

Clearage strategy

Once the balls are open, what is the best way to go about clearing them? Is it best to work from the outside in, or inside out? What are the advantages or disadvantages of each? My pattern play for the most part is circular from the outside in.​

Use the search feature on this forum to look for some material I have posted about the break and clearing the table. There are many diagrams accompanied by informative text that Steve Lipsky and I have posted over the years that deal with these subjects in great detail. If you have trouble finding them send me a PM and I will send them to you.

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Although you're right, defense can win you lots of games against weak players, straight-pool is an offense-oriented game. The guy who gets-up ready to pocket everything in sight is usually the guy who is going to win. I've seen a lot of players who employ this strategy in the local leagues and most will do quite well but it's a Pyrrhic victory. You're sacraficing proper approach to gain a win against a relatively uncompetitive opponent.

Look to pocket balls and let defense be something to consider when you can't.

The proper approach is to win the game....This kid is'nt likely playing 100 ball runners...if 2 guys play and both can run a rack or 2 the guy who plays better Defense wins....

Your statement is correct pocket balls when you can and play D when you can't....But don't go opening racks playing dumb shots/ misses or dumb safes that lead to big runs for the other guy....

It goes both ways.....but in reality if you put up 8 to 6 racks the whole game you will win....Big runs win too...Winning pool is the goal High Runs still only count as 1 win

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Kiss said:
The proper approach is to win the game....This kid is'nt likely playing 100 ball runners...if 2 guys play and both can run a rack or 2 the guy who plays better Defense wins....

Your statement is correct pocket balls when you can and play D when you can't....But don't go opening racks playing dumb shots or dumb safes that lead to big runs....

It goes both ways.....but in reality if you put up 8 to 6 racks the whole game you will win....Big runs win too...Winning pool is the goal High Runs still only count as 1 win

This is beginner-strategy. I've said this before; beginner-strategy almost need not be discussed. It should go without saying that you don't blast the rack when no shot is evident.

My point is that when a shot IS available, you take it. When there's a break-shot, you play for it. The goal is to run balls NOT to get 8 points per rack. If you want to get better at this game, you'll have to get past 8-6 and start thinking of how to clear the table and get into the next rack. I find that people who think 8-6 never grow out of it. People who think 'run' are always improving.

gwvavases

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope this won't be considered an attempted "hi-jacking" of this thread, but something that has always confounded me about 14.1 is finding dead balls in the stack that you can use to break them up.

When I began playing many years ago, the owner of a little one-table pool room I used to go to (an older guy) was incredible at finding dead balls in the stack. He'd study the stack from all angles, then call a ball that was right smack dab in the middle to go in the corner pocket. He'd blast away (or that's how it appeared, at least), and sure enough, that ball that had been surrounded would slowly make it's way through the chaos and drop right in the corner pocket. I could never get him to share his knowledge about how to do that. He'd just say, "That's my secret, Boy." He never ran more than 30 balls or so (always blew position or a thin cut), but he was incredible at finding dead balls.

Anybody know this secret? Any books out there about it?

George in VA

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
This is beginner-strategy. I've said this before; beginner-strategy almost need not be discussed. It should go without saying that you don't blast the rack when no shot is evident.

My point is that when a shot IS available, you take it. When there's a break-shot, you play for it. The goal is to run balls NOT to get 8 points per rack. If you want to get better at this game, you'll have to get past 8-6 and start thinking of how to clear the table and get into the next rack. I find that people who think 8-6 never grow out of it. People who think 'run' are always improving.

Your Wrong.....You always have the 8 to 6 mentality in the back of your head....Always..Sure you always go for the Best/ Highest run possible...But you don't lose sight of the Defensive end...

You need all facets of any game to be the best...In Any Game a well rounded game wins....Pool, Golf, Basketball whatever it may be....

The Question was about strategy and making balls is the most obvious Beginner Strategy of them ALL next comes Defense...The reason these are Beginner strategies is they are the Basis of the Whole GAME..

The object/ strategy of Scrabble is the same principal as 14.1 score more points and play Defensively on the board so the other guy does'nt score as Much....

So get out of here with your condescending opinions:p

Clear the rails
Break out clusters
Set up good angles for break shots
Pick the best routes
Keep whitey off the end rail

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1 Strategy
-........................................-

>added during edit:

due to the signs of flames I see in this thread,
this reply deals with running balls, which is what I think
he was asking about - not winning games.
IMHO anyone who can play slightly understands defense
is important<

Tho you didn't limit the subject,
it's pretty obvious you are looking for ideas
about running balls/racks not winning games

My best guess about the level of your game now,
leads me to recomend you try to find George Fells "Mastering Pool"
BTW - he says 'outside-to-inside for clearing

some tips:

in addition to the other good advice,

-don't hit balls that will already go in a pocket

-try to always have a 'bail-out' ball when going into clusters

- learn to break the rack and clusters, off shots that you cut
at a 'steep' angle, comming off a thin cut with high is much
more effective than drawing the CB off a half-ball hit.
Follow thru is better than hard - esp on clusters.

14.1 is a game of control.
if you practice 2 hours a day - 1 hour should be shooting
break shots and secondary breaks<clusters>

set them up at all the angles you can and note where
the balls go AND what happens to the CB. I don't know of any
other way to develop a feel for opening up the ballswith
control and predictability, the central requirement for running balls.

last of all, opening up clusters.
IMHO nothing is more important than learning
how to decide whether to glance off or go thru a cluster.
If you want to go thru, remember follow thru, not force

Dale Pierce

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I'm not a guru, but here're my thoughts:

Break Shot:

If you're playing by yourself, and it's the first shot of your run - the side pocket break shot is REALLY hard to beat. The OB should be about parallel to one of the two top balls in the rack, about center pocket high (for the side pocket). Setup for a steeper cut - maybe a HAIR of inside. It spreads the rack almost like an 8-ball break - and leaves little room to mess up. While in the middle of the run, i think the side-pocket break is a little risky (although I'll take it if need be - as BJ said) because it leaves the scratch open if you don't hit the very top of the rack. I LIKE steep-angle break-shots making the OB pocket speed. The angle of your shot will easily break the rack apart, and less likely to stick to the muck. Avoid shallow-angle break shots, I think. Too easy to miss (from trying to make something from nothing) or stick to the rack.

Patterns: If you CAN go inside to out, do it. Otherwise, go outside to in - and slowly pick apart.

I agree 100% with Jude up above.

I'm no champion, but that wins me games.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Kiss said:
Your Wrong.....You always have the 8 to 6 mentality in the back of your head....Always..Sure you always go for the Best/ Highest run possible...But you don't lose sight of the Defensive end...

You need all facets of any game to be the best...In Any Game a well rounded game wins....Pool, Golf, Basketball whatever it may be....

The Question was about strategy and making balls is the most obvious Beginner Strategy of them ALL next comes Defense...The reason these are Beginner strategies is they are the Basis of the Whole GAME..

The object/ strategy of Scrabble is the same principal as 14.1 score more points and play Defensively on the board so the other guy does'nt score as Much....

Clear the rails
Break out clusters
Set up good angles for break shots
Pick the best routes
Keep whitey off the end rail

Look, I could go 13-1 on a rack. If I'm the one racking, I'm not comfortable. B-level straight pool players are capable of running 50 balls so what's your 13 worth then?

I'm not saying you shouldn't think defensive when it's appropriate but you have to understand that straight pool is NOT a defense-oriented game. There are guys you've never heard of who are going to take your luke-warm safeties and not return to their chairs until their pop loses its fizz.

When you start thinking 8-6, even over the course of 10 racks, that's only a 20-point lead. C-level players can eat that up in one inning. You want goals? Your goal in EVERY rack should be to get into the next rack. That's it. You want control. You don't want your opponent to have a single scoring opportunity. If they're at the table, somehow, you failed to accomplish the task at hand. 8-6 every rack may win you games. Hell, I can talk all day about how to win when playing my sister but that doesn't mean it's worthy of posting. 8-6 every rack only shows that every rack, you failed to convert.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Look, I could go 13-1 on a rack. If I'm the one racking, I'm not comfortable. B-level straight pool players are capable of running 50 balls so what's your 13 worth then?

I'm not saying you shouldn't think defensive when it's appropriate but you have to understand that straight pool is NOT a defense-oriented game. There are guys you've never heard of who are going to take your luke-warm safeties and not return to their chairs until their pop loses its fizz.

When you start thinking 8-6, even over the course of 10 racks, that's only a 20-point lead. C-level players can eat that up in one inning. You want goals? Your goal in EVERY rack should be to get into the next rack. That's it. You want control. You don't want your opponent to have a single scoring opportunity. If they're at the table, somehow, you failed to accomplish the task at hand. 8-6 every rack may win you games. Hell, I can talk all day about how to win when playing my sister but that doesn't mean it's worthy of posting. 8-6 every rack only shows that every rack, you failed to convert.

What do people say on this site? "tap tap tap" ????

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
The Kiss said:

There is nothing condescending in what he wrote. In fact, Jude's posts have been excellent in this thread.

You may need to re-examine your own thoughts on this game, considering you made a ludicrous analogy to Scrabble - a game which by definition does not allow a player to make consecutive turns.

When you hear of someone running out your Scrabble game, you are allowed to bring back that analogy.

I play 14.1 at a fairly high clip, as do many posters on this board. I promise you not a one of them considers this "8-6 every rack" madness.

- Steve

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Listen Fast Eddie 13 -1 with a great safe at the end is worth more than 50 with a wide open rack for the Next guy....

I wonder if you think 1 pocket is an offensive game as well...

No one gives a damn about your legends that will make you sit in the chair for hours on end....They exist yeah....Not in your average pool hall though

In most pool halls outside of your fantasy world in NY.....A solid game of straight pool with modest runs of 10 to 30 balls and great defense wins...Flat out...

You are talking about beating World Beaters I am talking about having an effective game of straight pool that will win against most players...

Their are many ways to skin a cat my problem with you posts is you make it sound like the only way to win and get batter is make more ball.....I'm telling you that is not the case...

I have won too many games spotting too many balls for you to tell me my style does'nt work...You are likely the type that sees a problem and only sees 1 solution.....While i see 3 alternatives

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve Lipsky said:
There is nothing condescending in what he wrote. In fact, Jude's posts have been excellent in this thread.

You may need to re-examine your own thoughts on this game, considering you made a ludicrous analogy to Scrabble - a game which by definition does not allow a player to make consecutive turns.

When you hear of someone running out your Scrabble game, you are allowed to bring back that analogy.

I play 14.1 at a fairly high clip, as do many posters on this board. I promise you not a one of them considers this "8-6 every rack" madness.

- Steve

You miss the point.......8 to 6 is a win so is a 100 balls in a race to 100...You go go 8 to 6 the whole way and win or run a 100 which one counts as a win more???

I know you play strong but you have to admit that statement as a fact...

The Concept of any games rules applies....They are all games by nature right...

the Origanal topic was Strategy Defense was my answer....And I got ju mped on by Jude and his Offense theory only....

If you are a beginner anyone can make balls, but if you learn the rack and safteys you are ahead of the other guy NO???

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Listen Fast Eddie 13 -1 with a great safe at the end is worth more than 50 with a wide open rack for the Next guy....
No it's not. Your rate of returning to the table winning the ensuing safe battle would have to be ASTRONOMICAL for these two things to be even close.

I wonder if you think 1 pocket is an offensive game as well...

No one gives a damn about your legends that will make you sit in the chair for hours on end....They exist yeah....Not in your average pool hall though
In Jude's poolroom, they do. Besides, if people in YOUR poolroom can't play very well, then your statement above about running 50 not being any good against them definitely makes no sense.

In most pool halls outside of your fantasy world in NY.....A solid game of straight pool with modest runs of 10 to 30 balls and great defense wins...Flat out...
If this is the type of game you are assuming, as someone in RSB once wisely said, "You are asking about what to do in a pillow fight. Who cares?"

You are talking about beating World Beaters I am talking about having an effective game of straight pool that will win against most players...
a fair point, but Jude's strategy works well against both types.

Their are many ways to skin a cat my problem with you posts is you make it sound like the only way to win and get batter is make more ball.....I'm telling you that is not the case...
from my experience, it's 90% of the battle.

I have won too many games spotting too many balls for you to tell me my style does'nt work...You are likely the type that sees a problem and only sees 1 solution.....While i see 3 alternatives
[/QUOTE]

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
The Kiss said:
You miss the point.......8 to 6 is a win so is a 100 balls in a race to 100...You go go 8 to 6 the whole way and win or run a 100 which one counts as a win more???

I know you play strong but you have to admit that statement as a fact...

The Concept of any games rules applies....They are all games by nature right...

the Origanal topic was Strategy Defense was my answer....And I got ju mped on by Jude and his Offense theory only....

If you are a beginner anyone can make balls, but if you learn the rack and safteys you are ahead of the other guy NO???

This post says what you meant earlier a little better.

I agree TOTALLY with you that between two beginners, the one who plays smarter and more defensively will CRUSH the other on a consistent basis.

Sorry if we misunderstood each other before...

- Steve