Dennis Orcollo vs. Ghost, 1080p available NOW ... FREE (magic word for pool)

TrumanHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH1tuvo0zXc

I apologize - I (again) gave a little too much commentary... but perhaps it's stuff that'll be helpful for C players or beginners.

I'm always interested in hearing any ideas of how the video can be improved. For one thing, I should have turned off the autofocus on the primary camera... as it would occasionally "hunt." To compensate for that oversight, my editor used the handheld a little bit when it was out of focus which wasn't held steady at times.

That aside, I hope you all enjoy!

Regards,

Truman

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Great vid, the scoreboard is a great touch.
Switching to the side camera every few shots is nice as well, but switching right before he shoots can be distracting at times, especially if I'm watching closely to see his grip/stance or where he's hitting on the cue ball.

Overall great production though. I know how much work goes into something like this and your sharing it with all of us is greatly appreciated.

Vic

TrumanHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great vid, the scoreboard is a great touch.
Switching to the side camera every few shots is nice as well, but switching right before he shoots can be distracting at times, especially if I'm watching closely to see his grip/stance or where he's hitting on the cue ball.

Overall great production though. I know how much work goes into something like this and your sharing it with all of us is greatly appreciated.

Vic

Thanks Vic. It probably costs somewhere around $1000 per video after all costs.... and doing so KNOWING we're going to provide it for free and with stars who never allow you much time in preparation makes the quality hit an asymptote.

It'll get better with time... again, thanks for the positive remark. Hope you enjoy it! :)

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Dude you should be proud of the product you are making! Good commentary and great quality. I would pay 5~10$ for these videos. I love being able to see how they are cueing the cueball and other details that the 1080p picks up. I like that you are changing up who commentate with as well.

Pfnatic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I apologize - I (again) gave a little too much commentary... but perhaps it's stuff that'll be helpful for C players or beginners.

I'm always interested in hearing any ideas of how the video can be improved. For one thing, I should have turned off the autofocus on the primary camera... as it would occasionally "hunt." To compensate for that oversight, my editor used the handheld a little bit when it was out of focus which wasn't held steady at times.

Regards,

Truman

Awesome video. The 1080p is just icing on the cake. Did you guys shoot any other players besides Dennis?

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Regards,

Truman

Truman, thank you, that was awesome. Dennis reminds me of myself when I was still learning the game...lol. Seriously, he put it on the ghost and it was impressive. 10 ball, tight table, etc. Smooth player with all the confidence in the world.

I need to get my ass to Cali. The only thing stopping me is 2500 miles and very few days off from work. I'd love to get out that way sooner or later, it seems like a very happening place.

Thanks again for all the good work you guys are doing.

CraigS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks very much for this, an absolute treat

I love watching the ghost races you have been putting up, it's just a bit depressing realising just how good these guys are when free stroking (plus on a table that tough), the distance to there ability level seems just so massive from here.

This is rapidly become my favourite form of pool to watch.

CraigS

TrumanHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks you guys.

For those who asked, we have one more orcollo, another pagulayan and some additional sets where some didn't win.

TrumanHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If anyone has any technical suggestions I'd definitely appreciate it.

Perhaps Alvin from InsidePool or TAR will advise... but I think I need to discuss with Eddie putting in different lighting that's also higher so the camera heights can be higher.

What would you guys like to see..? Any ideas?

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I feel like a nit for saying anything, but if you're open to suggestions...

I noticed in the alcano video, the fixed camera was perfectly focused
and I liked the lighting, it looks really nice and warm and natural. Basically perfect.

For some reason everything's a little fuzzier on the dennis video, even at 1080p,
and the lighting looks reddish/pinkish? Hard to explain so I made a pic,
look at the pockets to see the fuzziness & reddish color. http://i.imgur.com/u2hBNjC.jpg

Whatever you did for the alcano one, I hope you do for all future videos.

On the other hand the side view on alcano looked weirdly green and washed out whereas in orcullo
the side cam is perfect (no pinkish cast). So that's a plus.
My only suggestion in terms of filming is... the handheld side view cameras results in a lot
of shakiness and blurring, if there's room they should be mounted to a fixed position.

What other versions of the ghost are these guys willing to try?
I heard of guys who will play the ghost without ball in hand, 9b using magic rack, maybe dennis O.
could show us how strong MBR + pattern racking is vs. 9b ghost?

TrumanHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like a nit for saying anything, but if you're open to suggestions...

I noticed in the alcano video, the fixed camera was perfectly focused
and I liked the lighting, it looks really nice and warm and natural. Basically perfect.

For some reason everything's a little fuzzier on the dennis video, even at 1080p,
and the lighting looks reddish/pinkish? Hard to explain so I made a pic,
look at the pockets to see the fuzziness & reddish color. http://i.imgur.com/u2hBNjC.jpg

Whatever you did for the alcano one, I hope you do for all future videos.

On the other hand the side view on alcano looked weirdly green and washed out whereas in orcullo
the side cam is perfect (no pinkish cast). So that's a plus.
My only suggestion in terms of filming is... the handheld side view cameras results in a lot
of shakiness and blurring, if there's room they should be mounted to a fixed position.

What other versions of the ghost are these guys willing to try?
I heard of guys who will play the ghost without ball in hand, 9b using magic rack, maybe dennis O.
could show us how strong MBR + pattern racking is vs. 9b ghost?

I totally agree with you on that and discussed it with my editor. The problem was we didn't use a white balance for both cameras and had to do it retrospectively. Great observation.

The handheld is because we couldn't see how focused or not the table was on a 2.5" LCD... so when the main camera's AF started hunting (and going out of focus) we used the 2nd camera (even when shaky) to switch away from that. My resolution for that is to bring a computer to check the focus before we start recording.

I also want to see 15-ball rotation ghost... did you guys like that version by efren? I actually preferred efren over the subsequent, and preferred when he played rotation the most.

Nothing nitty about your suggestions.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the kudos expressed thus far. Friggin amazing that we can witness what you have captured. And free?! Sheeat. That is magic!;)

I would love to see some one pocket runs, like the challenges at DCC.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Cheers, I'm guessing the next ones will look flawless. I liked efren's rotation ghost, seeing players come
up with perfect little cue ball routes through traffic is amazing. I think just for fun it might be cool to see
if anyone can beat the 15-ball ghost (not rotation to 61 points, but just running the whole rack in order
to the 15 ball).

You'd think if anyone can get, what, 12 balls out of 15... then mopping up the last 3 shouldn't be an issue.
But I've dogged those balls in practice and seen others do the same...
to my knowledge there's no footage of someone beating the 15b ghost in any decent race.

I'll second the vote for 1p, a 1p ghost race would be interesting. With wide open balls they prolly make
it look easy but maybe they could be required to do a standard 1p break.

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for posting up..an I didn't mind your commentary at all..I enjoy watching spin the ball..I'm at game 19 an haven't left my seat..nice job bud.