9 ball safety break- last resort

plsllvn

Registered
Well I am totally fed up with my poor 9 ball break- too old and not enough consistency.
This passed weekend really got to me at a big 9 ball event where the 9 was spotted on the spot- first time this setup was used in this area.

As it turns out, my break is more beneficial to my opponents.At least 5/8 times they ran out off my break and I didn't have a single break and run.

So I started to safety break the rack as desperation and was pleasantly surprised to see positive results in winning games against strong players( they were happy about the safety approach).

I been practicing it for a few days and just wanted to show some of the very consistent results of this break.
I like to get some input from the members here about it, maybe there is some benefit to players that don't have a reliable break.

There is a concern with 4 balls not making contact with a rail but once you figure out the weight it is not a big issue. Use lag type weight and some outside english breaking from a few inches of center.
All of the breaks had the balls in the same position.

Look for to some comments
Paul

Attachments

• number1.jpg
    number1.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 655
  • number2.jpg
    number2.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 641
  • number3.jpg
    number3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 656
  • number4.jpg
    number4.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 603
  • number5.jpg
    number5.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 674

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice post. I think breaking safe is fine and should be a perfectly legal way to begin a game of rotation pool. There are so many misunderstandings when it comes to the opening shot in many of these games strictly because people are accustomed to seeing the break executed a certain way. That doesn't matter though. The opening shot in any pool game should be left up to the discretion of the player, soft strong or whatever.

The other thing with a break like this, in all honesty the average pool player is so weak in the head this would probably destroy them completely from the outset.

What happens when you try to get the cb closer to that corner, maybe slightly favoring the end rail side of the pocket? That would be super strong considering the positions of the balls.

Last edited:

plsllvn

Registered
Nice post. I think breaking safe is fine and should be a perfectly legal way to begin a game of rotation pool. There are so many misunderstandings when it comes to the opening shot in many of these games strictly because people are accustomed to seeing the break executed a certain way. That doesn't matter though. The opening shot in any pool game should be left up to the discretion of the player, soft strong or whatever.

The other thing with a break like this, in all honesty the average pool player is so weak in the head this would probably destroy them completely from the outset.

What happens when you try to get the cb closer to that corner, maybe slightly favoring the end rail side of the pocket? That would be super strong considering the positions of the balls.

Ekojasiloop

Yes getting to the end rail/deep in the corner is realistic and happens. Also what happens frequently is the 6 ball comes off 2 rails and sits in front of the white ball.

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ekojasiloop

Yes getting to the end rail/deep in the corner is realistic and happens. Also what happens frequently is the 6 ball comes off 2 rails and sits in front of the white ball.

I like it. I swear this a way to screw with your opponents head too, not that this is what your intention was (it would be mine haha).

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In Corey's break, only 3 balls hit a rail...... Legal break?

Yes illegal, i couldn't find the Video where he was doing the legal version of the same break, so i just posted this video to show the op another way it can be done.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try it using a regular rack, worn cloth and older rails and get enough balls to the rail and avoid the soft breaking rules that many tournaments have.