nickel or dime tip radius

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you prefer a nickel or dime tip radius, and why?

The reason I ask is about 8 months ago I bought a used shaft from a guy and it had a Kamui SS clear on it. I really liked the way it hit so I had them mounted on two other extra shafts. The installer put a dime radius on them. I've always played with something closer to a nickel but I've played with them for some time now and like everything about them except I've noticed that when the cue ball is stuck on the rail, I will miss-cue, (slide off the top of the ball) more often.
I almost never used to do that. I keep the tip maintained so it holds chalk and have even started to consciously raise the butt of the cue more on shots when the CB is frozen on the rail but I didn't seem to have to do this in the past.

I'm wondering if the change in tip radius may be a factor here. The OD on these shafts is about 12.7mm.

What radius do you all prefer in general, and any particular reason why?

Thanks.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip

Depending on what game I'm playing, if I'm playing bank pool I use my shaft with a nickel tip. I seem to do alot better at Bank with it.

If I'm playing 1 hole I like my tip between dime and nickel.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you prefer a nickel or dime tip radius, and why?
What radius do you all prefer in general, and any particular reason why?
The short answer is: It really doesn't matter.

For the long answer, see the quotes and diagrams from Patrick Johnson on the tip size and shape resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that link Dave, that was a good read. I think my tips are fine at a dime rad. I just need to be more disciplined when shooting off the rail.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nickel for playing pool.....dime shape for playing 3 cushion......I have a few cue shafts just for billiards play.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The short answer is: It really doesn't matter.

For the long answer, see the quotes and diagrams from Patrick Johnson on the tip size and shape resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

A little empirical evidence here in my experience, Doc...I'll leave the science to you.

I can do some fancy spin shots...like the Jimmy Moore one that Massey has made well known.
I NEED a dime shaped tip to do it.....and I've tried, with little success, with the nickel shape.
I figure with the nickel shape, the back pressure from the cue ball is conentrated to close
to the edge of the shaft....thus creating a weaker hit.
When I use dime shape, the power is closer to the center of the shaft, therefore giving me
the power to do the shot.

So for years, when someone hands me a cue to do it, I look at the tip...if it is too flat, I tell
them I can't do it....this applies to snooker cues also....although with a typical British
tapered snooker cue, (too strong), I can't do it no matter what shape the tip is.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The question was "what do you prefer?", not what is better. I think what you prefer matters quite a lot.
Good point. Being a pool-playing engineer, I almost always prefer what is better.

As pointed out on the cue tip size and shape resource page, a flatter tip is better in certain ways; but in general, a rounder tip is better, so I prefer a dime radius over a nickel radius. Although, as the resource page also points out, there really isn't a meaningful geometric difference between a nickel and dime radius (in relation to the CB), so what I prefer really doesn't matter much (to me, anyway).

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Joe Blackburn put a "dickel" radius on my tip one year at the dcc, lol. I swear, I don't have a clue which is better. Just adapt to whatever is on there.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member

Attachments

• IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,544
Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"effects" SARDiver where are you from? I've only heard that term used in Columbia. I've never been across the pond though:)

all the spanish language 3 cushion references i have from all the countries use efecto "effects" to mean "english" on the cueball

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
My cue tips are shaped with a car wash token radius!
Isn't that close to a Quarter?

Half Dollar is .602
Quarter is .477
Nickle is .415
Penny is .386
Dime is .358

Attachments

• IMG_1459.JPG
    IMG_1459.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:

TILT9