• 12 inches +

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • It doesn't matter

Votes: 25 18.9%

• Total voters

Snorks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How far do you recommend your cue being away from your chin? Seems like the traditional position is basically touching. Just wondering what most peoples opinion is... or does it even matter?

Last edited:

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
Whatever is comfortable. I can make the chin touch the cue, but I can't sight well as it looks cross-eyed to me, plus my back neck will start to ache. I'll go as low as I can and I don't have any idea how low it is. But what I can assure you is, it's not touching the cue.

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snorks said:
How far do you recommend your cue being away from your chin? Seems like the traditional position is basically touching. Just wondering what most peoples opinion is... or does it even matter?

I don't think the traditional position is touching it. Touching it is more like a snooker stance. Most of the poolplayers I known don't touch it even close. But to me, I prefer being very close of touching it. If you wear glasses, I don't think touching it or being very close touching it is preferable.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
BlowFish said:
Whatever is comfortable. I can make the chin touch the cue, but I can't sight well as it looks cross-eyed to me, plus my back neck will start to ache. I'll go as low as I can and I don't have any idea how low it is. But what I can assure you is, it's not touching the cue.

Bingo!!! Since we all have different shapes and sizes, what works for one may not work for another. I think you should be as close as possible and still be comfortable. AF touches her chin to the cue, Buddy Hall probably can't. Both seem to do pretty well with their individual styles.
Steve

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Snorks said:

For years I swung back and forth on head position.
It seemed I made tough shots better with my head low,
but the rest of my game degraded.

It recently dawned on me that Luther Lasiter, quite likely the
best shotmaker of all time, stood very high above the table.

FWIW - Fisher is down so low for the same reason every other
snooker player who can't pronounce an unvoiced 'R' is low -
Joe Davis stood that way.

Developing shot making skill is all about consistency, the lower
you are, the more likely your head, and therefore your eyes, will
be in the same position relative to the cue all the time.

Dale

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
pooltchr said:
Bingo!!! Since we all have different shapes and sizes, what works for one may not work for another. I think you should be as close as possible and still be comfortable. AF touches her chin to the cue, Buddy Hall probably can't. Both seem to do pretty well with their individual styles.
Steve

I watched that Mosconi - Fats video the other day... Fatty shot standing up... head about 2 feet over the cue...

fats4-sized.jpg
MinnesotaFats_Sm_t250.JPG

Jim Rempe stood a bit high over the cue also...
jimrempe1.jpg

But Nick Varner stay pretty low on the ball...

DSCN0155.JPG

So does Danny Harriman...
image48.jpg

and Thomas Engert...
bob2.jpg

and Francisco Bustamante...
bustamanteshooting.jpg

as well as some "hack with a pump stroke" named "Efren"...
efren_judd_2.jpg

and the newly Crowned New Jersey State 14.1 Champion from NYC, Tony Robles...
DSC_0052.jpg

Myself... I keep my chin in about the same position as Danny, Thomas, Francisco, Efren and Tony ... its the way I was taught in the beginning.

DCP00375.jpg

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pooltchr said:
Steve

Perhaps touching the chin to the cue helps stabilize it for Allison because uses an open bridge all of the time.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As Blackjack mentioned, it may have more to do with how you learned. The truth is that it doesn't make any difference how high or low your head is over the cue. All that matters is that the cue is as level as reasonable to the table (based on the shot circumstances).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
alstl said:
Perhaps touching the chin to the cue helps stabilize it for Allison because uses an open bridge all of the time.

I would say that she uses it "most of the time"... after getting her BCA Instructors certification she started using the closed bridge which has made a big difference in her game - especially with her break shot. She doesn't use it often, still using the open bridge - because that was how she was taught. Here is a picture of Allison using the closed bridge... it took me forever to find a picture of it, but she does use it from time to time now.

SDSF1AlliAct.jpg

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
As Blackjack mentioned, it may have more to do with how you learned. The truth is that it doesn't make any difference how high or low your head is over the cue. All that matters is that the cue is as level as reasonable to the table (based on the shot circumstances).

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Don't agree with that. When you are having your chin lower, it's easier to see if your alignment is good. You can see from the CB to the OB. When standing higher, it's more difficult to see if the alignment is aiming perfect. For example, when a ball is blocking the CB, you need to lower your chin to see if the CB can passed the blocking ball to hit the OB. Without lowering your chin, you can't see it clear.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
I would say that she uses it "most of the time"... after getting her BCA Instructors certification she started using the closed bridge which has made a big difference in her game - especially with her break shot. She doesn't use it often, still using the open bridge - because that was how she was taught. Here is a picture of Allison using the closed bridge... it took me forever to find a picture of it, but she does use it from time to time now.

SDSF1AlliAct.jpg

That's interesting. Nobody ever taught me much about pool, but I use an open bridge and I put my chin on the cue. The open bridge came about because the only pool I ever played when I was a kid was snooker, and the open bridge just worked better. Chin on the cue kind of developed on its own, but I do think it helps stabilize the cue. Once in a while I use a closed bridge on power shots but I don't have the same confidence in it.

But, that's just me and I'm only a ball banger.

By the way, I saw Hohmann in a match and he took a more upright stance when kicking at a ball.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WesleyW said:
Don't agree with that. When you are having your chin lower, it's easier to see if your alignment is good. You can see from the CB to the OB. When standing higher, it's more difficult to see if the alignment is aiming perfect. For example, when a ball is blocking the CB, you need to lower your chin to see if the CB can passed the blocking ball to hit the OB. Without lowering your chin, you can't see it clear.

How high or low you stand over the cue has no bearing on your alignment. While some may "see" the balls better standing lower, many others (myself included) see them better from a higher perspective. Ultimately, like I said, it doesn't matter, as long as the cue is level.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

sde

Silver Member
WesleyW said:
For example, when a ball is blocking the CB, you need to lower your chin to see if the CB can passed the blocking ball to hit the OB. Without lowering your chin, you can't see it clear.

From what I have been taught you should know if the CB passes the OB before you get down on the shot. Once you determine that the CB passes and you get down to shoot your focus should be on target OB and not on the almost blocking ball. imo

Steve

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
How high or low you stand over the cue has no bearing on your alignment. While some may "see" the balls better standing lower, many others (myself included) see them better from a higher perspective. Ultimately, like I said, it doesn't matter, as long as the cue is level.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

That depends on what you are seeing better. If you are standing higher, you see the angle better. But when you are lower, you see the aiming spot better. It's like using a gun. If you have the gun closer to your eyes you will aim better.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have tried both, and I don't think it matters that much. Whatever gets the ball in the hole IMO, and it's been proven that upright or low can both produce champions. At times I will get my chin on the cue and the cue touching my chest to help when I feel out of alignnment.

I do notice it helps to be lower on longer shots and upright on short ones, but thats just me.

I wonder why "most" 3C billiards players are more upright?

Gerry

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
One thing I noted with almost all of the pics here...the eyes are focused on the object ball.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my dad stood straight up and could make 2 balls in a row sometimes, Man Fats stands like my dad did RIP,

Me I'm in the middle and I think what ever works is what works, when I came up I tried different hights but with my back even then I just hada natural elevation off the cue, it was about the only part of my game I couldnt adjust, I have a friend who started when I did he plays MUCH better than me and he started high now he has a groove in his chin, over the years he got lower and lower.

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerry said:
I have tried both, and I don't think it matters that much. Whatever gets the ball in the hole IMO, and it's been proven that upright or low can both produce champions. At times I will get my chin on the cue and the cue touching my chest to help when I feel out of alignnment.

I do notice it helps to be lower on longer shots and upright on short ones, but thats just me.

I wonder why "most" 3C billiards players are more upright?

Gerry

I've played billiard. If you stay to low it's harder to see the angle. When doing some practicing stroke, you like to now what the path is of the CB, how it travels 3 cushions. Sometimes you can change the angle (if you stay high), english etc. When you are down, it's down, you will not see if you want to/can adjust the shot.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
my dad stood straight up and could make 2 balls in a row sometimes, Man Fats stands like my dad did RIP,

Me I'm in the middle and I think what ever works is what works, when I came up I tried different hights but with my back even then I just hada natural elevation off the cue, it was about the only part of my game I couldnt adjust, I have a friend who started when I did he plays MUCH better than me and he started high now he has a groove in his chin, over the years he got lower and lower.

Here is a picture of grandfather (he died shortly after this photo was taken in 1987)...

Luke_2.jpg

He stood up straight just like Fats also.

IIRC, Jimmy Caras, Cowboy Jimmy Moore, and Eddie Taylor had the same style.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
P3310013.jpg

Feijen is interesting. Puts the cue beside/above his chin under his right (dominant?) eye. That's about as low as you can get. Hits 'em pretty straight too.