Looking for Lucasi Hybrid Reviews

Cueball1

Stick
Silver Member
My curious mind would like to get anyones unbiased opinion of the Lucasi Hybrid Cues, and do you use the standard zero flexpoint shaft or the zero flex slim?

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the standard hybrid shaft (12.75mm) is a nice hitting shaft. it hits very solid, like a standard shaft. there's no large hollow bore, or a bore filled with balsa, etc. the deflection reduction is in the ferrule tenon, there's a lightweight wood sleeve under the ferrule. the deflection reduction though isn't that great, nowhere near the predator or ob as the mass reduction is minor. the deflection is just a bit lower than a standard shaft, so if you're comfortable with that, you won't have much trouble adapting to the hybrid.

the slim is a whole other story....this must be the worst shaft i've ever tried. the tip is small 11.75mm, and usually on tips that small you see a conical euro type taper. the slim however uses a standard pro taper, which makes the shaft exceedingly whippy and very thin where you bridge. it's awful IMO and completely unplayable. if they changed the taper, they could have a decent shaft.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ive played with the lucasi hybrid shaft at a standard size, imo there Ok, they have a decent hit ,the feel of them is similar to lucasi normal shaft,just a bit stiffer,however they dont compare to Ob or predator deflection wise ..

Joe T

I have this cue;
http://www.cueandcase.com/supplies/lhf65.html
with zero flex shafts and was really impresed with the minimal amount of squirt and like the feel. I told them before they shipped it that if it had too much squirt I would not use it or recommend it but it really surprised me and is a very low squirt cue.
Tough to call me unbiased as they did offer me the cue for free but I would not say something I didn't really believe no matter what they sent.
I'm not crazy about the layered tips though, I still prefer a nicely pressed & trimmed Triangle tip (Thanks Mike Webb)

gatorcc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with a Lucasi Hybrid with the slim shaft and love it. It took a few weeks to get used to the small tip. I was going from a standard 13mm tip. I am thinking about getting a slim shaft for my Josey S/P!

Cueball1

Stick
Silver Member
Lucasi Hybrid Reviews

Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone take on the Hybrids. I am asked frequently about the Lucasi Hybrids, and since I fell in love with my Lucasi Hybrid Fusion with the zero flex slim shaft, I don't want to seem too biased with my response's.
Please keep those reviews coming :thumbup:

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
i went in to Valley Forge this year determined to get a better cue, and based on a lot of research, was pretty sure it would be an OB-1, Predator QR2 or Sneaky, or Lucasi Hybrid, and 75% sure i'd want the OB. i visited each booth and tested the cues, waited an hour, and then tested them in a different order.

to my surprise, i couldn't handle the ferrule on the OB, despite having read about some peoples' objections to it and thinking "well, that won't bother Me". something about that and maybe the taper just made the front of the cue look blunt and weird.

i liked both the 314-2 and the Lucasi Hybrid, and ended up picking the Lucasi, partly because it just felt better (maybe more familiar), but also partly because given the deals i could get at the show, it was a much better buy (the only Predator Sneaky available was a steel joint that was a Very beatup demo).

i'm now 2nd-guessing that decision. as McChen says, i've discovered that the deflection on the Lucasi Hybrid, while less than a standard shaft, is significant. so i'm thinking of ordering a Predator Sneaky for a longer experiment, even though the new ones are supposed to come out in 2 months.

on the other hand, Thorsten seems to do ok with the Lucasi... his is the standard hybrid shaft, but turned down to either 12.2mm (according to him) or 12.4 mm (according to Lucasi staff). of course, he'd probably run a hundred with the bumper end.

as a sidelight: does ANY pro really use the skinny shafts from Predator/OB/Lucasi? Darren, Ralf, Scmidt (when he used OB), and most of the others i follow (admittedly, the ones who play 14.1) all seem to use the regular shafts, not the skinnies.

Last edited:

Joe T

i went in to Valley Forge this year determined to get a better cue, and based on a lot of research, was pretty sure it would be an OB-1, Predator QR2 or Sneaky, or Lucasi Hybrid, and 75% sure i'd want the OB. i visited each booth and tested the cues, waited an hour, and then tested them in a different order.

to my surprise, i couldn't handle the ferrule on the OB, despite having read about some peoples' objections to it and thinking "well, that won't bother Me". something about that and maybe the taper just made the front of the cue look blunt and weird.

i liked both the 314-2 and the Lucasi Hybrid, and ended up picking the Lucasi, partly because it just felt better (maybe more familiar), but also partly because given the deals i could get at the show, it was a much better buy (the only Predator Sneaky available was a steel joint that was a Very beatup demo).

i'm now 2nd-guessing that decision. as McChen says, i've discovered that the deflection on the Lucasi Hybrid, while less than a standard shaft, is significant. so i'm thinking of ordering a Predator Sneaky for a longer experiment, even though the new ones are supposed to come out in 2 months.

on the other hand, Thorsten seems to do ok with the Lucasi... his is the standard hybrid shaft, but turned down to either 12.2mm (according to him) or 12.4 mm (according to Lucasi staff).

as a sidelight: does ANY pro really use the skinny shafts from Predator/OB/Lucasi? Darren, Ralf, Scmidt (when he used OB), and most of the others i follow (admittedly, the ones who play 14.1) all seem to use the regular shafts, not the skinnies.

I have a 314 II in the wanted forsale section if you interested?
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=232137

mystery shooter

Badger State Billiards
Silver Member
I have a Zero flex, on 3 different cues. I have had these shafts about 2 1/2 years. I have noticed these shafts have less deflection than normal shafts. I have gotten used to the hit and feel of them. The Zero flex is very easy to get used to. I went from placing in the middle of the field to the top 1/4 one month after I got my shafts. I currently have a Zero Flex on my Schon, It made my Schon play so much better the original shafts. I have had a small issue with squirt, but I corrected myself. Overall the Zero shaft is not a bad investment. My new shafts are Jacoby hybrids! I will leave feedback after I get a chance to play for a few hours. Jacoby Hybrids are much stiffer and solid compared to Predator, Lucasi or OB.

bankinbob

bankinbob
Silver Member
defliction

In my opinion if I could get in your pocket like all these people there is no magic shaft learn how to make balls before you waste money on a magic shaft. Then you will realize it is all hype.Been playing pool for 45 yrs

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
In my opinion if I could get in your pocket like all these people there is no magic shaft learn how to make balls before you waste money on a magic shaft. Then you will realize it is all hype.Been playing pool for 45 yrs

Amen. I get a kick out of people spending hundreds of dollars for 'high tech' shafts who can't do anything I can do with my stiff-as-a-brick Schuler.

nsainfreek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think these statements over generalize the purpose of these shafts. No one is looking for a magic stick that'll shoot for you but would like a stick that makes it easier. And if it works for me then ill use it. If you're more skilled with a stiff shaft than I am with an LD shaft it speaks of flaws in my game not the product. Many pros use LD shafts and I'm sure they can do ridiculous things with it. That doesn't mean you should switch. It's whatever works for you. If you played all your life with regular shafts and are just as good as a pro that does not discredit the functionality of these shafts. You just had something that works. Golfers used to use wood clubs and now many are using graphite. Do these clubs lose credibility because some of the old pros played just don't with wooden clubs?

Amen. I get a kick out of people spending hundreds of dollars for 'high tech' shafts who can't do anything I can do with my stiff-as-a-brick Schuler.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one for my Lucasi after a few years of playing with a regular shaft and I love it! I got the 12.75mm, the smaller diameter flex point shaft just didn't feel right. It feels like a stiffer regular shaft which is what i was looking for. I would say it's in between a predator and a regular maple shaft. This was definitely money well spent!

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I have this cue;
http://www.cueandcase.com/supplies/lhf65.html
with zero flex shafts and was really impresed with the minimal amount of squirt and like the feel. I told them before they shipped it that if it had too much squirt I would not use it or recommend it but it really surprised me and is a very low squirt cue.
Tough to call me unbiased as they did offer me the cue for free but I would not say something I didn't really believe no matter what they sent.
I'm not crazy about the layered tips though, I still prefer a nicely pressed & trimmed Triangle tip (Thanks Mike Webb)

Joe - how do you like that rubber-wrap on the cue? I've been looking at that cue for a while (and the others like it); but the wrap has me a little concerned. I worry it'll stick to my hand "too" well - do you notice anything like that?

evanlockhart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's even more funny are the people who call low-deflection technology magic and high-tech, lol.

Low deflection exists and is proven. Its not Magic. Its not even high tech.

One, it reduces the amount of distance travelled off the intended line of aim when a cueball is hit off its center axis. Two, there is a smaller margin of error when adjusting for english, thus reducing your chance of missing a shot.

So yeah, it will help you if your stroke sucks or you are new to playing.

I have a Hybrid shaft and can definitely notice the difference between low deflection and standard ones. Those that don't understand how they are a benefit to your game, are __________ (fill in the blank)

Last edited:

Joe T

Joe - how do you like that rubber-wrap on the cue? I've been looking at that cue for a while (and the others like it); but the wrap has me a little concerned. I worry it'll stick to my hand "too" well - do you notice anything like that?

I like it, I like soft leather wraps or no wrap cues too. The linen or smooth tight leather wraps not so much. You should try before you buy though.
I don't notice it sticking but like the feeling of it in the fingers.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
on the other hand, Thorsten seems to do ok with the Lucasi... his is the standard hybrid shaft, but turned down to either 12.2mm (according to him) or 12.4 mm (according to Lucasi staff). of course, he'd probably run a hundred with the bumper end.

I could be wrong but I think Thorsten likes this shaft because he was playing with a Universal Smart Shaft(RS) and this has taken its place. I believe he endorses them.

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
if you're looking at the Lucasi rubber wraps, there are actually a couple of different "patterns" in them. which i didn't know at first when trying them, and didn't like the one that comes on many of them, but then the very helpful Lucasi booth staff at Valley Forge pointed it out. i ended up changing which cue i got because of that, because one of the wraps (that's used on many of them) has a very noticeable seam in the wrap that i immediately found annoying, and knew would bug me more over time. i got the LHSP, which has a uniform pattern without the seam, but there are several other Lucasi's which have that also.

tfw314

Tommy
Silver Member
I play with a LHC92 and absolutely love the wrap i have the zero flex slim that i couldnt get used to (any takers) so I added a 314.2 and couldnt be happier. Although I have played with predators since they were first introduced. Just couldnt get used to the thin zeroflex.