Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page How do you teach a kid to shoot pool?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
How do you teach a kid to shoot pool?
Old
  (#1)
9BallPaul
Banned
9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute9BallPaul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 766

How do you teach a kid to shoot pool? - 06-08-2009, 10:07 PM

I've started with my nephews recently. They're in third and fourth grade, and already heavily into electronic crap.

So I've introduced them to my game room, where they can't bring cell phones, computers or any other of that e-paraphernalia. The TV is for sports only, and the pool table is the focus of the whole deal.

So far so good. We started with some simple instruction -- shoot straight through the middle of the ball. So I spread the balls on the table and let them take turns trying to shoot balls directly into the pockets. Of course this took some time but they soon got the hang of it.

Then I introduced them to the cue ball, and set up a series of wired shots -- combos that were dead in the hole. This got their juices going again, because the thrill of hearing the balls go into the pocket is, really, what pool is all about.

That's where our most recent lesson ended, with both enthused about coming back for more. But I'm a little conflicted on where to take it from here, and looking for suggestions.

If these kids become players, both will be sidearmers. Should I ignore this or leave it be? Thanks for all suggestions.

Old
  (#2)
mamono
AzB Silver Member
mamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond reputemamono has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 30450

06-08-2009, 11:55 PM

If they like it, continue. I don't see there being any harm. I work with computers and networks all day at work, that's the last thing I want to touch when I am on my free time. I look forward to spending time away from electronics.

Old
  (#3)
CreeDo
Captain Fishtastic
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
06-09-2009, 12:01 AM

sidearming can't be avoided when you start young. Some keep the sidearm (like keith) and others lose it as they grow.

I like your style, the idea of wired combos to keep them excited is a good one.

When I teach people draw, I set them up with a short, easy shot into the side pocket, pretty much right in the middle of the table. I figure the side is larger, so it's a little more forgiving to shoot into it, and since you're not stretching across the corner, there's never a reach issue. I think if you want to get them to pocket a few non-wired balls that aren't literally hanging... this would be a nice start.

Not sure what else you can do other than what you are already. Maybe set up some kind of reward for made shots.. a snack or a quarter or something.

Old
  (#4)
pooltchr
Prof. Billiard Instructor
pooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2009, 05:33 AM

You teach them the same way you would teach anyone. Start with the fundamentals (grip, bridge, stance, and stroke) then move on from there. Teach them proper alignment, center ball, speed control, and anything else you would teach a new player.

Just remember their attention span is probably not as long as yours. When you notice them drifting, it's time to stop. Don't force them, don't overload them, and give them little teasers so they know they have something to look forward to during the next lesson.

Steve

Steve Jennings
PBIA Professional Advanced Level Instructor

www.ssbilliardacademy.yolasite.com

Old
  (#5)
Blackjack
High Run: -4
Blackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackjack has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

06-09-2009, 05:42 AM

Here is a link to a great book that was written by Dawn Hopkins -

Kids Learn to Play Pool - Book

This book is written for children - not adults - and it is a great book to teach them the fundamentals of the game.

"Turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!" ~ Les Nessman

“Dead balls are harder to find than they are to make." ~ Cisero Murphy

"When all else fails, try not missing ... INTENTIONALLY." ~ Steve Mizerak

www.deadstrokeuniversity.com

Playing Cue - McDermott D-21 w/ Predator Z Shaft
Favorite Pool Player - Joey Koontz

Old
  (#6)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboy Up
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

Wink 06-09-2009, 07:16 AM

I have 4 step grandson, non of the are interested in learning to play, two just bang, and that is fine as they re not doing drugs during their banging time.

Most kids today what Hi Tech Stuff, not Old School Pool, thus pool is dieing a slow death.

IMHO!

Also there are no Boy clubs, or YMCA any longer where I live to get kid interested in the game.

“Pool is geometry, in its most challenging form, the science of precise angles, and forces"-Quote from: A Game of Pool, The Twilight Zone 1961 Television Show.

Want a Pool Cue Case, that offers, "The Protection Your Cue Needs™"
Consider a Pool Cue Case made by JB Cases, like my Masonite Pool Cue Case, below.

Made by John Barton, & his Team of Craftspeople, in John's workshop in Xiamen, China.

Last edited by CocoboloCowboy; 06-09-2009 at 07:21 AM.

Old
  (#7)
Lea A
AzB Silver Member
Lea A has a reputation beyond reputeLea A has a reputation beyond reputeLea A has a reputation beyond reputeLea A has a reputation beyond reputeLea A has a reputation beyond reputeLea A has a reputation beyond reputeLea A has a reputation beyond reputeLea A has a reputation beyond reputeLea A has a reputation beyond reputeLea A has a reputation beyond reputeLea A has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2009, 07:29 AM

Wasn't it Loree Jon Jones whose father built a ramp around the table? Something like that would probably be more work than you'd like, but perhaps if you could find something for them to stand on (move it each shot) you could avoid the sidearm issue. Good luck!

Old
  (#8)
chefjeff
From liberty comes order
chefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond reputechefjeff has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2009, 08:02 AM

One thing that I would not discourage is when they start to use their hands to throw and push balls around the table, slamming and a bamming. This seems like irrelevant or wasteful behavior, but I learned a lot about how the balls and rails react by doing this.

Glad you and the kids are at the table! You might empahsize the social aspects of pool vs. the apparent loneliness of electronic games. Also, empahsize the respect for the game, the table, balls, cues, etc....that'll be something different from the usual, I bet.

Jeff Livingston

Old
  (#9)
Roger Long
Sonoran Cue Creations
Roger Long has a reputation beyond reputeRoger Long has a reputation beyond reputeRoger Long has a reputation beyond reputeRoger Long has a reputation beyond reputeRoger Long has a reputation beyond reputeRoger Long has a reputation beyond reputeRoger Long has a reputation beyond reputeRoger Long has a reputation beyond reputeRoger Long has a reputation beyond reputeRoger Long has a reputation beyond reputeRoger Long has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

06-09-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
Don't pay kids for made shots. The shot made needs to be the reward.

The whole deal is to keep it fun. The kids will naturally learn from watching you. Get some other players there and let the kids see pool played well by people having fun. Kids are wired to mimic adults.
I think this is very good advice. You can't force kids to do something, even if you consider it fun and good for them. You have to LET them do it. As DoubleD said, teach by example, while giving pointers on the four things that are truly fundamental to good pool: STRAIGHT through the ball, LEVEL cue, STAY DOWN, FOLLOW THROUGH. Try not to be dogmatic about the mechanics (stance, bridge, grip, etc.) because those things will change as they grow. Besides, those things are boring. Keep it fun!

Roger

Extra fine players' cues made from desert-aged hardwoods. http://www.sonorancue.com
Also visit us at Maestro's Pro Shop, offering Certified Instruction, Custom Built Cues, Expert Cue Repairs and more:http://www.maestrosproshop.com

Old
  (#10)
Donny Wessels
AzB Silver Member
Donny Wessels has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Wessels has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Wessels has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Wessels has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Wessels has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Wessels has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Wessels has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Wessels has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Wessels has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Wessels has a reputation beyond reputeDonny Wessels has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

06-09-2009, 08:37 AM

I give my girls ball in hand for every shot they take. And I challenge them to take longer shots.

Donny Wessels
West State Billiards
714-943-7137

donny@weststatebilliards.com
http://www.weststatebilliards.com

Old
  (#11)
NewStroke
Screamin Monkey
NewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond reputeNewStroke has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2009, 08:45 AM

I used teach kids martial arts. Every child is different and learns at a different pace. Kids also have an advantage over the instructor, in that they have not learned any "rules". You'd be surprised how each child adapts to each situation. The trick is to keep it fun, but challenging. The reward is look on the child's face when he/she looks at you when they do something they thought they could never do.

Patience is key, the child will come around in their own time. Too much pushing and the child will simply quit.

Cue: Schon LTD 1304 with OB Pro Classic shaft
BC: OB Break Cue
JC: Mezz Air Shooter
Case: John Barton J.Flowers Tribute 2x4

Old
  (#12)
emf123
Up the Irons!!!
emf123 has a reputation beyond reputeemf123 has a reputation beyond reputeemf123 has a reputation beyond reputeemf123 has a reputation beyond reputeemf123 has a reputation beyond reputeemf123 has a reputation beyond reputeemf123 has a reputation beyond reputeemf123 has a reputation beyond reputeemf123 has a reputation beyond reputeemf123 has a reputation beyond reputeemf123 has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2009, 10:18 AM

Good thread!

I have a 2 yr old, he likes to stand on my weight bench and "shoot"
He either shoots the balls in by hand, but that got old for him so now he uses an old, warped, viking shaft. I just let him do whatever he feels like for now. Obviously, as soon as he starts misbehaving, the shaft goes bye-bye.
When he gets older I definitely plan on having him stand on some sort of step. There will be no McCready/Hoppe side-winder reincarnated in my house
There is some primal joy associated with seeing the balls drop into pockets, don't know why, but kids love it naturally!!!

Eric

Old
  (#13)
bigshooter
<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
bigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond reputebigshooter has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2009, 10:40 AM

The mistake I made when my son was young was trying to over instruct him, remember to let them have fun.

http://www.justcueit.com/

• Good shots win games, good safeties win tournaments.
  • Focus on the outcome, not the execution.

Old
  (#14)
sydbarret
AzB Silver Member
sydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond reputesydbarret has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2009, 11:34 AM

"how do you teach a kid to play pool?" Give him a set of golf clubs.

Old
  (#15)
bboyshibby
AzB Bronze Member
bboyshibby has a reputation beyond reputebboyshibby has a reputation beyond reputebboyshibby has a reputation beyond reputebboyshibby has a reputation beyond reputebboyshibby has a reputation beyond reputebboyshibby has a reputation beyond reputebboyshibby has a reputation beyond reputebboyshibby has a reputation beyond reputebboyshibby has a reputation beyond reputebboyshibby has a reputation beyond reputebboyshibby has a reputation beyond repute

06-09-2009, 07:08 PM

well i was taught by my dad at a younger age he taught me the fundamentals he never told me how to shoot a shot..never told me which english kicked my ass everygame..but i tell you hanging out with a dad on a pool table is good for family and when you actually beat em its probably the best feeling after i beat my dad the first time pools been my life and now i can teach him some stuff i would say..teach a kid how to shoot pool by letting them enjoy it....i know my mom forced me into taekwondo being korean an all...same concept i guess but i hated it..it wasnt fun for me..and i never excelled keep it fun..and they will learn by watching and when they get old enough go to bars with em and play

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: