Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page What is the best pool cue joint/pin type?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
SpiderWebComm
Banned
SpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond reputeSpiderWebComm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

08-06-2011, 10:28 AM

3/8-10 or radial pin into a Lambros Ultra Joint. Hard to choose which pin I like best coming into an Ultra Joint. Almost like trying to decide which Barbie twin you like the most.

PLAY WITH THE SPIDER:
http://www.onemotion.com/flash/spider/

John vs Lou: Episode I (Lou has a secret)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JpLyuItNiM

Intimidating Lou:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04qBi-hFLCY

Lou is Tanning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORCkqZwvCn0

Geno versus The Kernel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKqOPjUVMQ4

Viffer: The Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JFIy2ebJIE

Old
  (#17)
bstroud
AzB Silver Member
bstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

08-06-2011, 10:59 AM

As the inventor of both the Radial and the Uniloc, I have played extensively with both.

I had a Uniloc cue for 15 years with no problems. They must be installed correctly. Every cue maker does not do that.

When it cam time to make myself a new cue a few months ago I put in a Radial.
I like the way it plays very much and just about anyone can install one properly.

Bill Stroud

Old
  (#18)
pwd72s
recreational banger
pwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond reputepwd72s has a reputation beyond repute

08-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
As the inventor of both the Radial and the Uniloc, I have played extensively with both.

I had a Uniloc cue for 15 years with no problems. They must be installed correctly. Every cue maker does not do that.

When it cam time to make myself a new cue a few months ago I put in a Radial.
I like the way it plays very much and just about anyone can install one properly.

Bill Stroud
I've learned to listen to superior knowledge...thanks for the post.

Old
  (#19)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

08-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
My Lucasi is uni lock. I have never had a problem with it coming loose or locking up. I do clean the threads once in a while with a Q tip and some alcohol. This is necessary maintenance for these type of joints.
I also have a 3/8x10 pin cue and while they play a little differently the only difference I see is that the 3/8x10 takes a lot longer to screw together then the uni lock. And at my age I don't have a lot of screwing time left.

I think the problem with Uni-Lock Joints has a little to with how they are used. Like you said above you have never had a problem and I believe ever word of that because I also know people who have been using them for years and nothing happens. But, honestly I have seen many over the last few years that have problems with coming loose during play. I don't know why some are OK and others go bad, but I suspect that it is because of the way the cue is used and treated. I also suspect that breaking with that type of joint is a major part of the problem, I will have to look at this further and start asking questions when these cues are brought in for repairs.

Take care and have a great day.

Best Regards

"Warlock 1"

Craig W. Rittel

Old
  (#20)
rugerfan
Got a Snakewood fetish...
rugerfan has a reputation beyond reputerugerfan has a reputation beyond reputerugerfan has a reputation beyond reputerugerfan has a reputation beyond reputerugerfan has a reputation beyond reputerugerfan has a reputation beyond reputerugerfan has a reputation beyond reputerugerfan has a reputation beyond reputerugerfan has a reputation beyond reputerugerfan has a reputation beyond reputerugerfan has a reputation beyond repute

08-06-2011, 01:00 PM

I believe there are several different variations of the uni-lock joint today, due to patent issues. All the ones I have tried were serious lacking in hit feedback, compared to what I'm used to. Granted, there may have been advancements in the design over the years but my early impressions (when the uni lock first hit the cue market back in the day) tended to make me pass on cues with that particular joint.

I tend to believe we are all creatures of habit. If we exclusively played 40 years with a 5/16x14 piloted SS jointed cue then tried a 3/8x10 wood to wood joint, the hit would feel foreign to us. And the same the other way around. I guess it really boils down to what your personally accustomed to.

If your gonna kick a tiger in the ass, you better have a plan to deal with his teeth...

GKLong@comcast.net

Player(s); Several Thompson Custom originals (in avatar), Lambros custom, Phillippi custom(s)
B/J; Thompson Custom
Case; Jay Flowers
Beer; Rolling Rock

Old
  (#21)
Ģśţāṿ
AzB Silver Member
Ģśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond reputeĢśţāṿ has a reputation beyond repute

08-07-2011, 07:35 PM

I've played with a lucasi that has a uni-loc for a few years now. It came loose once, and i blame user error. haha. I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Old
  (#22)
jazznpool
Superior Cues--Unchalked!
jazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 6900

08-07-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeHustler View Post
what do you think plays the best uni-loc or 3/8x10 pin has anyone everhad a problem with a uni-loc joint?
any other suggestions? as what is the best pin , seems like most of the custom cue makers use a 3/8x10 i assume it is because of feel but i break with my player i just like the control better. what would be a better choice for a new cue stainless steel joint with a 3/8x10 pin or uni-loc?
IMO, the best joint type is flat-face big pin, Radial, 3/8-10, 3/8-11, etc. Much better to not have full steel joint and all the mass in that part of the cue. Ivory, phenolic, thinwall steel or steel half joint are the best IMO. Of course there is more to a good playing cue than the joint.

Martin

Old
  (#23)
Brozif
AzB Silver Member
Brozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond reputeBrozif has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-08-2011, 04:01 AM

You won't find out which pin or joint is the "Best" from this thread, but you will find out people's favorites. Maybe you can poll everyone's answer to find out which one is more popular.

MY favorite pin is the 3/8-10. I love it when it's wood to wood, but it doesn't really matter. My first cue was a Schmelke and I liked it, but then I graduated to a McDermott and it gave me a feel that I just fell in love with.

That started my love affair with the 3/8-10 pin!

......DON'T bet when what you can win is FAR LESS than what you may lose..... AND..... NEVER bet what you can't afford to lose. grindz

Playing cue: Bob Frey Custom
Break Cue: BK2
Case: 2x4 Talisman Original Black & Green

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: