Reload this Page Efren's "Z" Kick...There's a System For That
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Efren's "Z" Kick...There's a System For That
Old
  (#1)
Rubyron
R.I.P. Smorgass Bored
Rubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3000

Efren's "Z" Kick...There's a System For That - 02-10-2012, 12:08 AM

Yes, I'm talking about this one. This is the kind of shot that comes up once in a blue moon but, you never know, it might come up hill-hill in the finals of a big tournament.

Old
  (#2)
JB Cases
Custom Case Maker
JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
02-10-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyron View Post
Yes, I'm talking about this one. This is the kind of shot that comes up once in a blue moon but, you never know, it might come up hill-hill in the finals of a big tournament.
Well there is a system that will allow you hit it almost every time. Making it is lucky.

But actually there are lots of similar shots where knowing the system will put you in the right space to hit the ob and have a chance for something good to happen.

www.jbcases.com

hh&h
Old
  (#3)
bmsclayton
AzB Silver Member
bmsclayton has a reputation beyond reputebmsclayton has a reputation beyond reputebmsclayton has a reputation beyond reputebmsclayton has a reputation beyond reputebmsclayton has a reputation beyond reputebmsclayton has a reputation beyond reputebmsclayton has a reputation beyond reputebmsclayton has a reputation beyond reputebmsclayton has a reputation beyond reputebmsclayton has a reputation beyond reputebmsclayton has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

hh&h - 02-10-2012, 12:53 AM

Hit it hard and hope.

Old
  (#4)
Rubyron
R.I.P. Smorgass Bored
Rubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond reputeRubyron has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 3000

02-10-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post
Well there is a system that will allow you hit it almost every time. Making it is lucky.

But actually there are lots of similar shots where knowing the system will put you in the right space to hit the ob and have a chance for something good to happen.

www.jbcases.com
Exactly! You can't get lucky if you don't hit it.

BTW, Where is my rubber band case?

Old
  (#5)
The Chinchilla
AzB Silver Member
The Chinchilla has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chinchilla has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chinchilla has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chinchilla has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chinchilla has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chinchilla has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chinchilla has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chinchilla has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chinchilla has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chinchilla has a reputation beyond reputeThe Chinchilla has a reputation beyond repute

02-10-2012, 02:05 AM

Its ironic that this shot has gone down in the annals. It is pure luck that he won that game. He pretty much sh#t out is the truth. For him, he dogged that safety right before that so bad, he missed his line with the ob by a half a diamond maybe. Even funnier, he tried to dog the hanger layout after that, but being the champ that he is he knocked them in.

The most important part for me when it comes to that kick, watch the speed. Strickland would have had like a HANGER shot 1 foot away with a perfect little angle almost assuredly. But, efren knocked it in... more power to him I guess.

Last edited by The Chinchilla; 02-10-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Old
  (#6)
Autist
AzB Silver Member
Autist has a reputation beyond reputeAutist has a reputation beyond reputeAutist has a reputation beyond reputeAutist has a reputation beyond reputeAutist has a reputation beyond reputeAutist has a reputation beyond reputeAutist has a reputation beyond reputeAutist has a reputation beyond reputeAutist has a reputation beyond reputeAutist has a reputation beyond reputeAutist has a reputation beyond repute

02-10-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chinchilla View Post

The most important part for me when it comes to that kick, watch the speed. Strickland would have had like a HANGER shot 1 foot away with a perfect little angle almost assuredly. But, efren knocked it in... more power to him I guess.
Don't you think that it was the only speed he could make the hit with?

Imo, any stronger than that, and IMHO, 2 things can happen:

1) Whitey jumps off the table after contacting the 1st rail
2) Whitey may hit the 7(?) ball after contacting the 2nd rail

Correct me if my opinions are way off.

Old
  (#7)
poolpro2
AzB Silver Member
poolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond reputepoolpro2 has a reputation beyond repute

02-10-2012, 02:32 AM

The system is, he is just AWESOME!!! Anyone can make any shot on any given day. (how is that for a stolen cliche!) It is all about WHEN you make that ridiculous shot and how often. And Nobody does it better!

I watch a man shoot pool for an hour. If he misses more than one shot I know I can beat him.
-Luther Lassiter

When asked by a fellow player how he could once play for millions and now be playing for such small stakes, Dandolos supposedly replied "Hey, it's action, isn't it?"

Old
  (#8)
JB Cases
Custom Case Maker
JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
02-10-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chinchilla View Post
Its ironic that this shot has gone down in the annals. It is pure luck that he won that game. He pretty much sh#t out is the truth. For him, he dogged that safety right before that so bad, he missed his line with the ob by a half a diamond maybe. Even funnier, he tried to dog the hanger layout after that, but being the champ that he is he knocked them in.

Come on Chinchilla that's harsh. He played the safe perfectly and just got an unlucky kiss. Then he had to get out of his own perfect safety and the only way to do it was to hit it with speed to make the cue ball dive after the second rail. Under that pressure it would have been hard for any of us to even hit the five.

I might set up this exact lay out at the upcoming SBE and bet people they can't even hit the five.

I think that it's not ironic at all that this shot stands as one of the greatest ever. Yes Efren got lucky to make it but to even hit it under that pressure required the skill and heart of a champion.

Especially since he had to fade his own safety. A lot of players would crumble if that happened to them. Aspiring players can learn a lot from this sequence.

Old
  (#9)
JB Cases
Custom Case Maker

02-10-2012, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autist View Post
Don't you think that it was the only speed he could make the hit with?

Imo, any stronger than that, and IMHO, 2 things can happen:

1) Whitey jumps off the table after contacting the 1st rail
2) Whitey may hit the 7(?) ball after contacting the 2nd rail

Correct me if my opinions are way off.
1. With a level stroke you can hit it much harder than that without the cueball coming off the table.

2. The only way to hit the seven would have been on the way to the second rail whch meant he went to low or off the second rail which would have meant he hit it way too high to get to the five anyway.

The important thing on this shot is that the cue ball dives into the five after the second rail. That's knowledge to know that it is going to react this way off the second rail is the key here. That knowledge and experience doesn't come cheap. Shots like this at these times is the payoff.

Old
  (#10)
Blue Hog ridr
AzB Silver Member
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-10-2012, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Hit it hard and hope.
Ah, the old triple H system. I subscribe to that.

D Bag Club - Blue Bag
At your service, of course.

Don't be a Wentzler. Unless you're from Wentzle, Wentzlervania.

Old
  (#11)
Black-Balled
The Bloody Pit is Pleased
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
02-10-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hog ridr View Post
Ah, the old triple H system. I subscribe to that.

me too...

There is no beauty here, just the stench of wine and beer.

my program will expose interns to experienced trainers.
Death and hatred to mankind, poisoning their brainwashed minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Posters on Az tell me that pictures confuse them,
and that is why they love to buy from me
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#12)
JoeyInCali
Always Looking For Wood

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

02-10-2012, 07:41 AM

Efren was the Karambola King of the Philippines before he became great in pocket billiards.
He might know something about kicking and banking.

Old
  (#13)
mosconiac
Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
mosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond reputemosconiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 624

02-10-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Efren was the Karambola King of the Philippines before he became great in pocket billiards.
He might know something about kicking and banking.
Surely you jest...everyone knows he just got lucky! He'll be the first to tell ya!

Primary Cue: Barry Szamboti (Pic1/Pic2)
Break Cue: Predator BK2
Case: Jack Justis (Pic)
Table: Kim Steel 9' (Pic)
Hannah: She Chalks Before Every Shot (Pic/Vid1/Vid2)

Old
  (#14)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-10-2012, 10:50 AM

so does someone want to explain the system??

Old
  (#15)
scottjen26
AzB Silver Member
scottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond reputescottjen26 has a reputation beyond repute

02-10-2012, 02:17 PM

Jimmy Reid has a Z-bank system on one of his DVDs, forget which one. I think I have it written down somewhere, the details escape me a bit at the moment. It actually worked pretty well if the shot was within certain boundaries, at certain extremes it broke down, as a lot of kicking/banking systems do, requiring further adjustments through experience.

Understanding the reaction of the balls off the first and second rail when various speeds/spins are used, as well as working backwards on the shot, can go a long way as well in helping to determining the first rail hit point.

I'm certain that Efren's rotation and billiard knowledge allowed him to work it out, obviously making it was very fortunate since he knew he would probably leave a shot at that speed even if he hit it. But there was always a chance he could leave a tough shot, or even make it as he did, better to hit it and see what happens vs. just giving him ball in hand.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: