Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 8-Ball Rules Question
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

03-26-2012, 01:42 PM

I don't disagree that the rule is a bit on the silly side, but I still dont understand all the angst over it.

So its different than they way everyone else plays, so what? You know the rule going in. As for the marker being a fraction over the diamond, well....its silly, but ya gotta read a line somewhere. You cant put the cue ball that same fraction over the line when you break, either, even though its "just a fraction".

I agree that its silly the way people try to use these rules to their advantage, as opposed to just trying to win on the table. But rules are rules... I can pretty much safely place my marker near enough the pocket that it really isn't a concern.

I really despise the attitudes of those who will act like that, but I cannot change it. Rather than let them get to me, I simply take the opportunity away from them, by simply following the rules.

I dont get the problem.

Player: McDermott G203
Break: J & J 2729

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#32)
DelaWho???
Banger McCue
DelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond reputeDelaWho??? has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

03-26-2012, 02:29 PM

like a previous poster said they were watching the shot. They knew where it was supposed to go. You got screwed.

I beat a guy in a singles qualifier once. In the last rack I marked the pocket with a piece of chalk. My opponent notices another piece of chalk on the table near the othe corner pocket and tried to protest that I marked the other pocket, and put the 8 in the wrong pocket. The tourney director did the right thing and the guy then tries to shake m hands and says "Good game anyway" I wanted to tell him to go F himself, but I just walked away instead....

This, in my league area, is a rare event. Most of the folks in our division aren't nitty like that....

Cues: McDermott D16 BILL000,M64D,BL03
Break: Bacote Jerico Stinger with I1 BigBoy
League: APA: Masters

Old
  (#33)
stumpie71
AzB Silver Member
stumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rosenstock View Post
That post wasn't meant to stand alone. I've already stated a few things about how the rulebook stinks and how common sense must prevail. There's just very little (if any) common sense in the APA. You may find it at your local level because your LO might be intelligent enough to do the right thing. Once you leave that zone, you're in for a real sh*tshow. The higher up you go, the worse it gets.

I agree that there are several things the APA can improve on. But in this case it was the league operator and who ever watched the hit that made the wrong call.

This is not the right call period. Once the pocket has been marked it does not matter if it falls on the floor the pocket is still considered marked. This is a national rule. Same as the pocket has to be marked within 2 diamonds on either side of the pocket not 1.

Old
  (#34)
Jude Rosenstock
AzB Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond reputeJude Rosenstock has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpie71 View Post
I agree that there are several things the APA can improve on. But in this case it was the league operator and who ever watched the hit that made the wrong call.

This is not the right call period. Once the pocket has been marked it does not matter if it falls on the floor the pocket is still considered marked. This is a national rule. Same as the pocket has to be marked within 2 diamonds on either side of the pocket not 1.
Actually, I vaguely remember there being an actual rule about the marker staying on the table until the shot was completed. This is years ago so I can't say with any certainty but I believe that's part of the reason why you may see local rules addressing the issue. This also brings up the annoying task of receiving a new rulebook and spending the next six months figuring out which three sentences changed.

Cue: Schon
Twitter: @JudeRosenstock

Old
  (#35)
stumpie71
AzB Silver Member
stumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond reputestumpie71 has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rosenstock View Post
Actually, I vaguely remember there being an actual rule about the marker staying on the table until the shot was completed. This is years ago so I can't say with any certainty but I believe that's part of the reason why you may see local rules addressing the issue. This also brings up the annoying task of receiving a new rulebook and spending the next six months figuring out which three sentences changed.

The rule I explained has been that way Nationally for the past 8 years at least. Which is surprising the LO got it wrong. Not only do they go over this specific rule at the national tournament but it use to be one of the first questions on their referee test. I agree it is pitiful that it happened especially if the person watching the hit knocked it on the floor.

Old
  (#36)
CK6Speed
AzB Silver Member
CK6Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCK6Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCK6Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCK6Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCK6Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCK6Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCK6Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCK6Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCK6Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCK6Speed has a reputation beyond reputeCK6Speed has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Marking the pocket rule is not the issue. Anyone who plays 2-3 weeks in APA will learn to mark the pocket and should never forget it. You just add that into your routine. I never failed to mark the pocket on the 8 ever. I was also not really an 8 Ball player when I first started APA so I had to learn/remember a lot of the rules and strategy of 8 Ball. Either way, the rule is not a big deal as you shouldn't forget the rule in the first place. The real problem is the League Operator's decision on the even. Our League Operator based on passed experiences IMHO would have accessed the situation, saw the market on the floor near the pocket claimed to be marked, given the OP the win with a warning to be mindful of the pocket market in the future or it could result in a loss if it continues to fall off the table and be a problem. That would have been fair.

Old
  (#37)
shinobi
kanadajindayo
shinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond reputeshinobi has a reputation beyond repute

03-26-2012, 05:05 PM

LOL what an asshat.

Goes to all the trouble to get someone to watch the shot going into a particular pocket in a tricky manner, and then has the audacity to imply it was unmarked.

Someone deserves a serious beating.

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: