Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Staining and sealing a rack

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Staining and sealing a rack
Old
  (#1)
Standbykid
Very good at being bad
Standbykid has a reputation beyond reputeStandbykid has a reputation beyond reputeStandbykid has a reputation beyond reputeStandbykid has a reputation beyond reputeStandbykid has a reputation beyond reputeStandbykid has a reputation beyond reputeStandbykid has a reputation beyond reputeStandbykid has a reputation beyond reputeStandbykid has a reputation beyond reputeStandbykid has a reputation beyond reputeStandbykid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Staining and sealing a rack - 05-04-2012, 09:39 AM

Hey guys,

I bought an older, very solid wooden ball rack from a guy for a couple of bucks. It was chipped, dinged, dented, everything. I know what you're thinking, but I just had to have it.

So, I sanded the old finish off, puttied and epoxied all the damage and now I've smoothed it and coated it with 3 coats of stain.

My question is, should I stop there? Or, should I put a coat of polyurethane or something on it? If so, what kind and how many coats?

Thanks for the help.

-Jeremy

"Life is too short to be bothered by haters." - SVB

Below average player with above average cues.

Playing cues: 4 Nittis
Break cue: Nitti with a Samsara break tip.
Cases: Justis Prolite 2x4, JB Prototype 2x5, Sterling 4x8.

Old
  (#2)
thommy
AzB Silver Member
thommy has a reputation beyond reputethommy has a reputation beyond reputethommy has a reputation beyond reputethommy has a reputation beyond reputethommy has a reputation beyond reputethommy has a reputation beyond reputethommy has a reputation beyond reputethommy has a reputation beyond reputethommy has a reputation beyond reputethommy has a reputation beyond reputethommy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-04-2012, 10:11 AM

If I were doing it and was inexperienced in that sort of thing, I'd go to Home Despot and get a "wipe on Poly" finish. It is simple to apply and hard to screw up

If I was doing it for mysefl here at the shop, I'd take it into the spray booth and shoot it with a few coats of satin lacquer . . .

Last edited by thommy; 05-04-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: more info

Old
  (#3)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-04-2012, 10:28 AM

definitely finish it off with something protective.

the most typical next step would be to use polyurethane. pretty straightforward to use.

decide on if you want satin, semi, or gloss finish and brush it on, even and smooth.

in my experience, it usually takes 3-4 coats with light sanding in betwen each coat. Make sure to allow proper time for drying between each coat.

I know Minwax makes a good product and I'm sure there are others.

GL with your project.

Post pics when it's done.

Best,
Brian kc

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#4)
Quesports
AzB Silver Member
Quesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-04-2012, 10:36 AM

It should be finished and can be with any number of products. Please remember there is a difference between dry time to handle and cure time to actually use the rack after you finish it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: