Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Playing the "lower" ball ghost
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-04-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRUNOUT View Post
Thanks! Also, I forget, do you get ball in hand after the break in Fargo?
Here's a complete summary of the Fargo rules, along with a score sheet and score-range summary.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#17)
nine_ball6970
AzB Silver Member
nine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

05-04-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Also, I forget, do you get ball in hand after the break in Fargo?

KMRUNOUT
http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/RulesFargo.php Check out that link for rules.

Old
  (#18)
softshot
Simplify
softshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond reputesoftshot has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

05-04-2012, 02:26 PM

don't take high balls off .. take the low balls off.. shoot 6,7,8,9 practice getting out... not 1,2,3,4 then stop

Old
  (#19)
Blue Hog ridr
AzB Silver Member
Blue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Hog ridr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-04-2012, 02:30 PM

That makes sense. It will give her a better sense of accomplishment running the last 4 out.

And then as someone mentioned, when she can do that consistently, keep adding a ball.

Two BIH is a good idea too at first. She won't be quite so disappointed if she misses once and she has another try but will feel better when she can run out with one BIH which would be the eventual goal.

D Bag Club - Blue Bag
At your service, of course.

Don't be a Wentzler. Unless you're from Wentzle, Wentzlervania.

Old
  (#20)
fathomblue
Rusty Shackleford
fathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond reputefathomblue has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2012, 04:37 PM

I think I'm going to try playing the "ghost" in this manner: (example of playing the 5-ball ghost):

1. Break. Balls that are made are left pocketed. We can work on our break here, just like is required in a normal game.

2. Leave the 1-ball (or lowest numbered remaining ball). Since that's what most of us are always griping about. Getting a quality break with shape on the 1. You can monitor your progress on getting a good opening shot.

3. Remove the 2, 3, 4, 5 balls. That means I'm faced with the 1 and the 6, 7, 8 and 9. So, I have five balls I need to run out to win. If I happen to make one of those aforementioned balls on the break, then a lower numbered ball is substituted for it. (ie. you make the 7 on the break. You would then have to leave the 5 on the table, since it's the highest numbered ball that would have normally been pulled)

4. Take ball in hand to run your five balls. Once you can beat the ghost in a race to 9, then you up it by a ball. However, if you consistently lose to the 5 ball ghost.....then obviously you drop down to a 4 ball race. However, if you beat the NEXT highest ghost, which would be the 6 ball ghost in this case.......drop back down to the 5 ball ghost and REMOVE BIH. Then you can somewhat "tweak" your skill level. You'll know what kind of player you are with and without BIH.

***So, in this above scenario, if you happen to make two balls on the break.....leaving you seven balls on the table..... you then rake two balls off and still run the remaining five. But, guess what? If you complete THAT run, then you've successfully ran a seven ball table. And that's the kind of runs that will help you beat quite a few opponents. Make a quality break. It's part of the game. Leave your cueball in a good position after the break. It's part of the game. Run out what your skill level allows you to do. It's part of the game. Sure, you're using BIH, but once you're good with a skill level....remove that BIH before truly "awarding" yourself a bump in skill level.

Does that sound like a fair game?

Obviously, "The Ghost" is a game that can be played almost an endless amount of ways to tweak it in an easier or harder fashion.

The point being to set it up in a way that it's fun, challenging and that it IMPROVES your normal game.

What does everyone think?

Justin Wray

APPA (Arkansas Pool Players' Association) Vice President
NAPA member - Faulkner County/Conway, AR

Lee's Billiards & The Billiard Club, LLC - Mountain Home, AR
Beezer's Fine Billiards - Russellville, AR
Krome Billiards - North Little Rock, AR

Main Player: Gary Johnson custom w/Ki-tech "hard" tip
Back-up Player: Gary Johnson custom Sneaky Pete w/Ki-Tech "hard" tip
Breaker: Dufferin 20 oz. house cue w/White Diamond tip
Jumper: Steve Lomax custom
Retired: Meucci 333-5

Old
  (#21)
dom_poppa
Banned
dom_poppa has a reputation beyond reputedom_poppa has a reputation beyond reputedom_poppa has a reputation beyond reputedom_poppa has a reputation beyond reputedom_poppa has a reputation beyond reputedom_poppa has a reputation beyond reputedom_poppa has a reputation beyond reputedom_poppa has a reputation beyond reputedom_poppa has a reputation beyond reputedom_poppa has a reputation beyond reputedom_poppa has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Players that need to play big money are usually those that are mentally weak or lack mental focus.

Big money equals more focus.

They need that driving force.

Old
  (#22)
3andstop
Focus
3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute3andstop has a reputation beyond repute

05-04-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I like this a LOT. Reminds me of Fargo, which would be another great game for her (and me!) We could probably work out a fun spot. What is an A player supposed to average in Fargo...anyone know? 150-175 maybe? more?

Thanks for the suggestion,

KMRUNOUT
I'm glad you liked it. Just goes to show, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: