Gandy Cues circa 1972
Old
  (#1)
oldcat
AzB Bronze Member
oldcat is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Gandy Cues circa 1972 - 06-19-2012, 06:11 PM

This is my first posting. I have a few cues in need of identification. My grandfather bought a pool table and all the "fixins" from a place in Niles Illinois called Wico corporation back in the early 1970s. With the bulk purchase he got two decent 2 piece cues. I had a few local cuemakers look at them and both pretty much said that these were Gandy cues. One thought Viking because of the pearlized plastic rings. Viking told me that wasn't theirs it was a Gandy. However I would like more information. What models are they? Who made them? etc. I am 99 percent sure these are Gandy cues. The "Blue" one was always mine and the other my grandfather used. The wrap eventually fell apart on mine so I had it rewrapped. Now that I found the same white with light green specked Irish linin, I will have it rewrapped with the original style wrap. The weight bolt is the same on both.
Attached Images

Last edited by oldcat; 06-19-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Old
  (#2)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2012, 05:04 AM

Somebody posted some Gandy catalogs here a while back. We can search for those, I have them on my PC at hoime but not at work. They do look like Gandy cues. Ricco Cervantes worked in that shop, but I am not sure off the top of my head what years.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632
Some of my leatherwork: http://www.billiardsmarket.com/valen...work-t148.html

You can also find me here: WWW.BILLIARDSMARKET.COM
Cue Identification Resources: http://www.billiardsmarket.com/post151.html#p151

Old
  (#3)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2012, 10:41 AM

The buttcap and weight bolt look similar to my A. E. Schmidt cue, but the pin isn't the same...this one looks more rounded...mine is pointed. A. E. Schmidt had Adam and Viking making some cues for them in the late 60s-early 70s and Viking used pearlescent rod in some of them.

Old
  (#4)
deadnutz
AzB Silver Member
deadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

06-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Here's the catalog I have saved. Your weight bolt looks correct and the aluminum shaft inserts, but not the pins. The Gandy I have has a pointed pin.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

My Gandy pin and weight bolt:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old
  (#5)
oldcat
AzB Bronze Member

06-20-2012, 05:01 PM

I am gettin more and more convinced that my cues are 100 percent Gandy cues. I know the pin isnt that same. But I know with a 100 percent certainty where my grandfather bought the table, cues and accesories. Wico corporation. According to the International Cuemakers Association:

"Bob Meucci: Inducted 2006
Bob started building cues in the early 1960's. In 1968 he took over the cue department at National Tournament Chalk. He founded B.M.C. in Glenview, Illinois in 1969. He also helped set up the WICO cue making operation. "

Glenview is right next to me. Where my grandfather lived was a stonesthrow from there.

Now I have another mystery. The pins.

Old
  (#6)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadnutz View Post
Here's the catalog I have saved. Your weight bolt looks correct and the aluminum shaft inserts, but not the pins. The Gandy I have has a pointed pin.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

My Gandy pin and weight bolt:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
My A.E. Schmidt buttcap, weight bolt, joints, and pin look similar to yours.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showth...ht=hawaiianeye

Old
  (#7)
deadnutz
AzB Silver Member
deadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond reputedeadnutz has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1000

06-20-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
My A.E. Schmidt buttcap, weight bolt, joints, and pin look similar to yours.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showth...ht=hawaiianeye
Agreed but the aluminum shaft inserts are a dead giveaway between the two. Here's my whole cue, best I have come up with is a HC-150 in a different color variation than the cue pictured in the brochure. Notice the ringwork in the buttcap matches the veneers, it's a neat old cue.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old
  (#8)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

06-20-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
... They do look like Gandy cues. Ricco Cervantes worked in that shop, but I am not sure off the top of my head what years.
The Blue Book says Ricco worked for Gandy Billiards from 1971 to 1973.

Old
  (#9)
oldcat
AzB Bronze Member

06-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Im jealous. I like that cue. That's really kick ass. I think you should just give it to me. lol.

Old
  (#10)
maloneld
AzB Bronze Member
maloneld is on a distinguished road

06-25-2012, 06:22 PM

Beautiful cue. How much do you think that cue is valued at? I have the same cue in the green version... just like the brochure. Just wondering myself.

Last edited by maloneld; 06-26-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: