Reload this Page Pool table in the garage
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Pool table in the garage
Old
  (#1)
wambamcam
AzB Silver Member
wambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Pool table in the garage - 08-14-2012, 11:23 AM

Ok, so we're seriously considering a pool table, but the problem right now is that it can only be placed in our garage. The garage is not enclosed, and our community won't allow us to do so. Question is, will it be a problem to have a table in a non climate controlled environment? We would try to add an air conditioner vent, but that's about as far as changes to the room.

Thoughts?

Old
  (#2)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 12:03 PM

Not sure what you mean. Is this not your own personal garage? Is it a car port? Or are you talking about a community garage with a sliding gate rather than a door that everyone parks in and you have only a couple of spots? Sorry, but I've never really heard of a personal garage that doesn't have a door. To me garages are, by definition, enclosed spaces.

You didn't mention where you live, but if you can't control the climate then you are at the mercy of humidity.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#3)
Cdryden
Pool Addict
Cdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wambamcam View Post
Ok, so we're seriously considering a pool table, but the problem right now is that it can only be placed in our garage. The garage is not enclosed, and our community won't allow us to do so. Question is, will it be a problem to have a table in a non climate controlled environment? We would try to add an air conditioner vent, but that's about as far as changes to the room.

Thoughts?
Yes, depending on the climate in your area it could be a problem.

Just curious as to why your community wont allow an enclosed garage, I haven't heard of that before.

Trick Shots 1

Trick Shots 2

My Blog Page: CRAZY ABOUT POOL

The cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation.- McKenna

Old
  (#4)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 12:24 PM

They do sell pool tables that can be used outdoors, and can even get wet.... that should like what you need in case of a storm blowing rain under the car port..... they actually look like solid built tables for some rich folks to put around their swimming pools...

Old
  (#5)
sammylane12
AzB Silver Member
sammylane12 has a reputation beyond reputesammylane12 has a reputation beyond reputesammylane12 has a reputation beyond reputesammylane12 has a reputation beyond reputesammylane12 has a reputation beyond reputesammylane12 has a reputation beyond reputesammylane12 has a reputation beyond reputesammylane12 has a reputation beyond reputesammylane12 has a reputation beyond reputesammylane12 has a reputation beyond reputesammylane12 has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 12:28 PM

The humidity could be a big problem. In 2004 a hurricane came through and knocked out the power to my pool hall for 18 days. The humidity made the tables virtually unplayable. It was like trying to play on mud. It took 2 weeks after the power came back on for the tables to dry out.

Old
  (#6)
wambamcam
AzB Silver Member
wambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond reputewambamcam has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 12:30 PM

No, it's real garage. What I mean is that they won't allow for the garage door to be torn down and place a wall to make a room.

Old
  (#7)
hang-the-9
AzB Gold Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-14-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
No, it's real garage. What I mean is that they won't allow for the garage door to be torn down and place a wall to make a room.
Hm.. if you don't use it... just build a wall behind the door You can also just add some insulation around / behind the door and will keep things pretty well buttoned up.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Been There.....Done That.......
Old
  (#8)
Bavafongoul
AzB Gold Member
Bavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond reputeBavafongoul has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Been There.....Done That....... - 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM

You are only asking for problems by locating the table in a garage where temperature, & especially humidity, will inevitably make you to come to regret ever doing it.

If you have any doubts, just visit and speak with a expert pool table distributor, like a Brunswick dealer or Diamond Tables, and find out firsthand what you're being told.

Even with a brand new table, the manufacturer's warranty can wind up being voided based upon the environmental conditions inherent with a garage location........you can't successfully supervise the heat, cold & humidity like with the other internal rooms of the dwelling.

"AZ Gold Memberships Cost < 10 Cents per Day"

Cue Collection:

*J. Rauenzahn - "Bushka Tribute" Level 6 (Due 03-30-'15) Flat Ivory Joint
*Bob Owen (s/d 5-4-'14) Level 8 - Custom Design (6 Pts.) Flat Ivory Joint

*Tim Scruggs 2006 Custom - Level 5 - big pin Flat Ivory Joint
*Paul Mottey (s/d 10-'91) Level 6 - "8 Pts - Gus Szamboti Replica" - Ivory Joint
*Runde Schon (1985) - Level 4 R Series - "1 of 1" Custom Made by Bob Runde.
*Palmer (All Cocobolo Wood) - Early 1970's

Last edited by Bavafongoul; 08-14-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Old
  (#9)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Ah, OK. You probably wouldn't want to do that anyway since I can only guess it would hurt the value of the house. The best solution is to either insulate the door or replace it with one that is insulated. Then you should be in pretty good shape. Many of us (myself included) have tables in the garage. My door is insulated. Depending on your climate you might need to use a portable A/C unit to control not just humidity but also temperature.

Notwithstanding, Bavafongoul may have a point in regard to problems with a garage. I live near the beach in Southern California so I've had really none of the issues he mentioned. The conditions in the garage just don't get much different than the house to cause problems.

Let me know if you need more info on putting a table in the garage. I do have some thoughts based on my experience.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Last edited by DogsPlayingPool; 08-14-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Old
  (#10)
Cdryden
Pool Addict
Cdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond reputeCdryden has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Ahh I see. I know of several people that have a pool table in a garage and they keep the original door in place but never use it. You should be ok as long as it's insulated well. It's not ideal but it's better than nothing.

Trick Shots 1

Trick Shots 2

My Blog Page: CRAZY ABOUT POOL

The cost of sanity in this society is a certain level of alienation.- McKenna

Old
  (#11)
8-ball Rat
I'll eat you alive.....
8-ball Rat has a reputation beyond repute8-ball Rat has a reputation beyond repute8-ball Rat has a reputation beyond repute8-ball Rat has a reputation beyond repute8-ball Rat has a reputation beyond repute8-ball Rat has a reputation beyond repute8-ball Rat has a reputation beyond repute8-ball Rat has a reputation beyond repute8-ball Rat has a reputation beyond repute8-ball Rat has a reputation beyond repute8-ball Rat has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

08-14-2012, 01:03 PM

I say - Grab yourself a decent USED table, and go for it!

I had a pro-8 Brunswick in my garage for about a year (before we moved). The garage door was insulated, so it took the edge off of extreme temps in the space. I mainly played in the evenings, after work, so didn't have to gut it out in the dead of summer during the day. I kept a floor-standing fan in one corner of the garage, and that helped a little, too.

I wouldn't suggest getting a new Diamond table and throwing it in there...but if you can find a nice used Brunswick GC or similiar, have a ball! As long as you're aware of the temp/humidity issues...and willing to sacrifice a bit in order to deal with them...there's nothing quite like having a table at your disposal whenever you want to play.

People do it all the time, and there's no reason why you shouldn't, too!

Old
  (#12)
Johnnyt
Bring Back The 10 Foot Ta
Johnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyt has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 227290

08-14-2012, 01:28 PM

What size is the inside of the garage and what size table are you looking to put in? Johnnyt

Old People Rock
These Golden years suck.

Old
  (#13)
wambamcam
AzB Silver Member

08-14-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyt View Post
What size is the inside of the garage and what size table are you looking to put in? Johnnyt
I'm in Florida, and hoping to get a 9 footer. Not sure about the size but its a 2 car garage.

Just do it ........
Old
  (#14)
SKILLZELITE
Universality
SKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond repute

Just do it ........ - 08-14-2012, 01:40 PM

I say go for it , somethings better than nothing,, It'll serve its purpose..

A-c for summer months...

Old
  (#15)
9 on the snap
Budweiser fears me
9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute9 on the snap has a reputation beyond repute

08-14-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I'm in Florida, and hoping to get a 9 footer. Not sure about the size but its a 2 car garage.
It better be an air conditioned garage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: