Classic Cue Designs

Worminator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "Post pics of James White Custom Cues here..." thread seems to offer the opportunity to start a cue design conversation I have been thinking about. What about “classic designs” in cues. Diamonds, Peacocks, Spears, Bushka rings, Notched diamonds, etc. I love traditional cues. I’m not into the McWorter style CNC stuff. I appreciate the intricacy of the design and the talent it takes to execute the inlays, but that style is not my cup of tea. I designed the cue below and had Ron Haley build it. There is nothing unique about the style or design components, but in my mind the cue is a one of a kind and “my” design. How does this fit into the whole cue design discussion. Not looking for any flame wars, just discussion.

haley_jw.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:

ATH

hell, here i come!
Silver Member
Hi, i agree. I find the classic designs more pleasing to the eye and there is something about a cue that has a certain line to it that makes it special.
I like the "retro" modern cues, the types that incorporate the old types of inlays and rings with some more modern wood choice and production technic.
Plus your cue is gorgeous, very nice.

Last edited:

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worminator said:
The "Post pics of James White Custom Cues here..." thread seems to offer the opportunity to start a cue design conversation I have been thinking about. What about “classic designs” in cues. Diamonds, Peacocks, Spears, Bushka rings, Notched diamonds, etc. I love traditional cues. I’m not into the McWorter style CNC stuff. I appreciate the intricacy of the design and the talent it takes to execute the inlays, but that style is not my cup of tea. I designed the cue below and had Ron Haley build it. There is nothing unique about the style or design components, but in my mind the cue is a one of a kind and “my” design. How does this fit into the whole cue design discussion. Not looking for any flame wars, just discussion.

[/IMG]

Thanks,

We have gone round and round on the topic, I'm not looking to do it again. WHat I have done is drawn attention to something that is wrong and I know from some posts and PM's that I have opened some people's eyes to this fact, I've gotten people talking about it and asking cuemakers what they think. Sure some people think there is nothing wrong with it, even some cuemakers, but most of these people are the ones doing the stealing so it's clear to see where their inspiration comes from.

Anyone who truly wanted to read what I write without prejudice can clearly see that I have said many times this is more an issue of fancier designs or exact copies. I would never say a notched diamond or points and veneers fit that bill. I would not say a 6 point cue is a SW knockoff, but when you see the split butt with the same dementions and the similar ring work it's very clear that the look they are *stealing* is from Southwest, it's even more proof when you see the cue advertised for sale as "SW Style" or when the person who owns the cue comments that they wanted a SW but couldn't afford one. It's been going on for so long now by so many different makers (Coker,Gilbert,Omen,Wayne) that it's thought of now as excepted behavior. The fact is it's wrong and no matter how long it goes on and who does it that fact isn't changing.

I can understand liking the "classic" style as it were, but with today’s materials and technologies copying is just not needed, there are many subtle things that can be done to change the inlays to where you can still have a classic design and have not be a direct knockoff. Just wait till you see what Zeeder has done with a classic old school design to make it his own. But again what I am most offended by is the new fancier designs that are being knocked off by cuemakers with the skill and talent to where they shouldn't have to. Jim being the perfect example of it, when you look at his original design cue that Bill (cornerstone) posted it would make you wonder why he'd ever do someone else’s designs, the man is a genius and his work is top notch.

As for your cue (Haley) I see a basic design, I don't see any theft, I just see many aspects taken for other cues that you must have enjoyed over the years, but I wouldn't confuse it for a distinct design from across a room. I don't want people to stop using diamonds or notched diamonds, I just want them to stop using them in the same exact places and making them the same exact size on cues with the same exact rings and the same exact veneer colors in the same woods. I'm not the copy police, but if a majority of people look at your cue and think it's something it isn't maybe you or the maker crossed a line.

Just some food for thought, no flames.

Jim

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Your cue is very nice, Jamie. But as far as stealing a design I think what needs to be factored is the list of "talentless people who lack vision" would include, Stroud, Schick, Wayne, McWorter, Szamboti, Tad, Phillippi, quite a few as in probably 100 or so others...

So when you look at that list, is talentless people who lack vision, the first thing that comes to mind? Of course it isn't, could these staples of cuemaking be that clueless? I would like to think not, because alot of them still make classic designed cues as well as their own versions of cues.

I like four point cues, with notched diamonds in specific patters, I hope as CUSTOM cuemakers that they could make my request without it being to much of a problem.

JV

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
classiccues said:
Your cue is very nice, Jamie. But as far as stealing a design I think what needs to be factored is the list of "talentless people who lack vision" would include, Stroud, Schick, Wayne, McWorter, Szamboti, Tad, Phillippi, quite a few as in probably 100 or so others...

So when you look at that list, is talentless people who lack vision, the first thing that comes to mind? Of course it isn't, could these staples of cuemaking be that clueless? I would like to think not, because alot of them still make classic designed cues as well as their own versions of cues.

I like four point cues, with notched diamonds in specific patters, I hope as CUSTOM cuemakers that they could make my request without it being to much of a problem.

JV

I guess Joe doesn't understand we can all read, his attempts to try and twist things just look silly. Sure many guys have used some older designs, sure the list is huge, nobody has ever argued that. But yet none of that matters and none of it makes the practice right. He would also have you believe that I said Jim White was talent less, of course my words are there for all to read, I am sad when I see it because I believe quite the opposite, the man has unlimited talent as shown by the many cues posted, specially the last one posted by cornerstone. But once more Joe V posts without adding to the conversation, just one more meaningless troll post, not surprising to anyone. You might not agree with what I type here, but at least I give an opinion and I share some info.

Jim

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
missed in all these discussions is the effective use of wood combinations. i don't care what the design is,,,,if you choose woods that don't look nice together, the whole thing can fall apart.

lenoxmjs

Brazilian Rosewood Fan
Silver Member
I also like a classic cue. I have for many years wanted a Propeller cue. I was discussing a design with Joel Hercek and he refused to go anywhere near copying this design. He suggested 2 options. That if that is what I really wanted I should get on Barry Szamboti's list. He further stated that it would be wrong to copy a trademark design and he would come up with an original design that had the spirit of the propeller in it. Now I just have to get around to calling. Have to give Joel a lot of credit for his ethical principles.

ATH

hell, here i come!
Silver Member
Every cuemaker out there has copied somehow, it is virtually impossible not to do something someone has done before you. I think the issue is when people make cues that in the whole looks to much like another cue, to the point where you could mistake the one for the other. And to a point some of the cuemakers should be happy that people like their designs so much that they want to incorporate it in to their own cues, but only to a point. And sometimes i feel that it seems more accepted for a well known maker of expensive cues to make "inspired" cues then it is for a less known cuemaker.

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lenoxmjs said:
I also like a classic cue. I have for many years wanted a Propeller cue. I was discussing a design with Joel Hercek and he refused to go anywhere near copying this design. He suggested 2 options. That if that is what I really wanted I should get on Barry Szamboti's list. He further stated that it would be wrong to copy a trademark design and he would come up with an original design that had the spirit of the propeller in it. Now I just have to get around to calling. Have to give Joel a lot of credit for his ethical principles.

I'm glad you posted this, there are some people here under the impression that there is nothing wrong with the practice of stealing designs and that it's no big deal so every cuemaker will do it, even though cuemakers/ designers have already weighed in on the topic here. But of course we'll always have that group of people who have either done it or those who want to try and sell cues who defend it to the death for their own very selfish reasons. It's great to see when people have character. Good for Joel.

Jim

Addicted2CuesRU

Biff Lowman
Silver Member
lenoxmjs said:
Very solid point, Ginacues also have a similar element or style in most of his designs, that simply would look wrong if ya see it elsewhere...

Example:

Why pay $6,800 for a Gina...
http://www.cueaddicts.com/gina.htm (bridged points at bottom of page)

When you can have this... for less than $80...
http://www.insidepool.com/order/Sterling+&#34Gina&#34+Pool+Cue?SID

lol... Nice "tribute" huh.

These cheap azz cue companies pumping out <$100 crap using stickers or just cheap quality materials to copy the design is the biggest problem... Everytime I went to a pool hall with my Runde somone would say... "hey nice cue is that a <Blank> cue". Insert random cuemaker that makes very intricate looking cheap cue into the blank and you get the idea...

I felt like a pompous azz if I told them the real value and why its worth that so I didn't, but it still grated on me...

Last edited:

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Addicted2CuesRU said:
Very solid point, Ginacues also have a similar element or style in most of his designs, that simply would look wrong if ya see it elsewhere...

Example:

Why pay $6,800 for a Gina...
http://www.cueaddicts.com/gina.htm (bridged points at bottom of page)

When you can have this... for less than $80...
http://www.insidepool.com/order/Sterling+&#34Gina&#34+Pool+Cue?SID

lol... Nice "tribute" huh.

These cheap azz cue companies pumping out <$100 crap using stickers or just cheap quality materials to copy the design is the biggest problem... Everytime I went to a pool hall with my Runde somone would say... "hey nice cue is that a <Blank> cue". Insert random cuemaker that makes very intricate looking cheap cue into the blank and you get the idea...

I felt like a pompous azz if I told them the real value and why its worth that so I didn't, but it still grated on me...

The biggest problem is that some people feel it's fine to do it, many people here and apparently many cuemakers. But as stated the buyers control the market, so getting the word out only helps. When people start seeing it as a real theft and as wrong the makers will have no reason to do it. As it is now most who do it just want the buck any way they can get it. As for that cheap copy, I doubt most who buy it don't have a clue it's a copy or what the original would cost.

Jim

oooooo diggin up old stuff...

Every design I have ever seen in a cue, with the exception of some very very few, exists somewhere else in something; mostly furniture. I don't believe you can copyright any of them. Cuemakers that have been recognized for certain designs got those designs from somewhere. Simple geometric designs are archtypical, and therefore impossiible to steal.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the sake of argument, most current cuemakers developed their skills in cuemaking by attempting to emmulate their mentors. Many have apprenticed under other cuemakers and have branched off to make it fine on their own. Would you consider that John Davis and Hercek knock off Spain because theymake their splices similarly, but choose to make them with different joints? What about Mottey and White, Wheeler and Schick, Frey and Scruggs, Balner and Paradise, Tascarella and Balabushka? Did Franklin, Bender, Young, etc. steal from Kersenbrock? Fanelli and Webb steal from Brunswick? You get the picture.

I love knotched diamonds and dots. When it comes to that, if you look far and wide, every "new" design using those elements has pretty much been made before. I do have to say some of the really "wild" new designs out there are mainly attributed to the versatility of CNC that would be virutally impossible to do with manual inlays by hand. The Chudys, McWorters, Manzinos, Waynes of the cuemaking world are turning out really nice designs and intricate, but I don't consider any of them classics (yet anyway).

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
cuenut said:
The Chudys, McWorters, Manzinos, Waynes of the cuemaking world are turning out really nice designs and intricate, but I don't consider any of them classics (yet anyway).

don't forget about Cog's. joe was one of the original "fancy" cue makers that started this whole new design movement. he's manzino's cue idol. the continuation with these types from me to keith josey. also remember joe learned many traditional work also like some construction techniques from his friend craig petterson.

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuenut said:
For the sake of argument, most current cuemakers developed their skills in cuemaking by attempting to emmulate their mentors. Many have apprenticed under other cuemakers and have branched off to make it fine on their own. Would you consider that John Davis and Hercek knock off Spain because theymake their splices similarly, but choose to make them with different joints? What about Mottey and White, Wheeler and Schick, Frey and Scruggs, Balner and Paradise, Tascarella and Balabushka? Did Franklin, Bender, Young, etc. steal from Kersenbrock? Fanelli and Webb steal from Brunswick? You get the picture.

No, I don't get the picture, cue designs are not construction techniques. The way a cue is spliced isn't part of the design. We first need to agree on a common definition of the term design.

I love knotched diamonds and dots. When it comes to that, if you look far and wide, every "new" design using those elements has pretty much been made before.

Not every design, again we are talking placement on the cue, the arrangement of the size and where they are used. Also keep in mind those diamonds you like were used in other applications and bought from a secondary vendor and used in cues.

I do have to say some of the really "wild" new designs out there are mainly attributed to the versatility of CNC that would be virutally impossible to do with manual inlays by hand. The Chudys, McWorters, Manzinos, Waynes of the cuemaking world are turning out really nice designs and intricate, but I don't consider any of them classics (yet anyway).

I doubt they'll ever be classics, but they are the standard now to show the world just what can be done, to all the people who think that there isn't much new to do. I'm not saying everyone has to like new styles, but please lets not say that nothing out there is new and everything has been done. Fact is these guys now have the ability to put their own spin on notched diamonds.

Jim

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Classic Cue Designs.

JimBo said:
We have gone round and round on the topic, I'm not looking to do it again. WHat I have done is drawn attention to something that is wrong and I know from some posts and PM's that I have opened some people's eyes to this fact, I've gotten people talking about it and asking cuemakers what they think. Sure some people think there is nothing wrong with it, even some cuemakers, but most of these people are the ones doing the stealing so it's clear to see where their inspiration comes from.

Anyone who truly wanted to read what I write without prejudice can clearly see that I have said many times this is more an issue of fancier designs or exact copies. I would never say a notched diamond or points and veneers fit that bill. I would not say a 6 point cue is a SW knockoff, but when you see the split butt with the same dementions and the similar ring work it's very clear that the look they are *stealing* is from Southwest, it's even more proof when you see the cue advertised for sale as "SW Style" or when the person who owns the cue comments that they wanted a SW but couldn't afford one. It's been going on for so long now by so many different makers (Coker,Gilbert,Omen,Wayne) that it's thought of now as excepted behavior. The fact is it's wrong and no matter how long it goes on and who does it that fact isn't changing.

I can understand liking the "classic" style as it were, but with today’s materials and technologies copying is just not needed, there are many subtle things that can be done to change the inlays to where you can still have a classic design and have not be a direct knockoff. Just wait till you see what Zeeder has done with a classic old school design to make it his own. But again what I am most offended by is the new fancier designs that are being knocked off by cuemakers with the skill and talent to where they shouldn't have to. Jim being the perfect example of it, when you look at his original design cue that Bill (cornerstone) posted it would make you wonder why he'd ever do someone else’s designs, the man is a genius and his work is top notch.

As for your cue (Haley) I see a basic design, I don't see any theft, I just see many aspects taken for other cues that you must have enjoyed over the years, but I wouldn't confuse it for a distinct design from across a room. I don't want people to stop using diamonds or notched diamonds, I just want them to stop using them in the same exact places and making them the same exact size on cues with the same exact rings and the same exact veneer colors in the same woods. I'm not the copy police, but if a majority of people look at your cue and think it's something it isn't maybe you or the maker crossed a line.

Just some food for thought, no flames.

Jim

I have a new cue being made for me by a cue maker:

My new cue will be a two (2) piece cue. Not the first to do this. It is a copy of someone else's original idea.

My new cue will have an ivory joint. Not the first to do this. It is a copy of someone else's original idea.

My new cue will have eight (8) points in the forearm. 4 hi and 4 low. Not the first to do this. It is a copy of someone else's original idea.

My new cue will have ivory inlays. Not the first to do this. It is a copy of someone else's original idea.

My new cue will have diamond shaped inlays. Not the first to do this. It is a copy of someone else's original idea.

I cannot arbitrarily say that the simpler items above are not copies of other’s work where only other components or designs are copies.

If you have a four-point veneer cue with three veneers on each point built, four-point veneer cues have been made before and that component of the cue is a copy of someone else’s idea. The colors you select have probably been done before in that same combination before. If you want that color combination, that is your affair. If you want a diamond shaped inlay or a propeller in a cue, it is a copy of someone else’s idea. How can you say it is OK to use a diamond inlay in a cue but wrong to use a propeller?

I doubt there is a cue that will exactly match the new cue I have being built. In fact, I have almost assured my entire new cue will be different as a completed cue “assembly”. I copied other’s ideas I liked, drew them up in AutoCAD, went to a cue maker with what I wanted built. We agreed on specifications and a price, and it is being built. You can look at a component and find someone who may have done that part before. If that component has been done before, that component is a copy of someone else’s original idea. As a completed assembly, my new cue will not been built before. I have subtle changes and positioning in the cue and added others. I left out some components I do not like and had to choose between other options I do like where I could not have both.

If you do not like cue making, then you likely are not reading this forum or this post. You are not looking at the cue photos being posted to determine in your own mind what aspects of cues you like and what cues you do not like.

I had the cash to go to a cue maker and buy what I wanted built. If someone else has the “dust” to do have a cue built, that is his or her business. If someone wants to buy a complete cue design copy from the same cue maker or a different cue maker, more power to him or her.

If they can only afford a complete cue copy design from overseas that warps in a week and selects to do so, more power to them. There is a reason why this cost less, which can be both in quality and living conditions of the people involved in both the cue and cue components.

Some people like classic plain designs, others like wheel spinners.

If you have a cue with points in it, it is a copy of someone else’s idea unless you own “numero uno”. Simple and logical as that.

I do not like cue design copies as a complete assembly. If everyone on earth does not agree with me including the people buying the copies, I can live with that.

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
robertno1pool said:
My new cue will be a two (2) piece cue. Not the first to do this. It is a copy of someone else's original idea.

My new cue will have an ivory joint. Not the first to do this. It is a copy of someone else's original idea.

My new cue will have eight (8) points in the forearm. 4 hi and 4 low. Not the first to do this. It is a copy of someone else's original idea.

My new cue will have ivory inlays. Not the first to do this. It is a copy of someone else's original idea.

You are a moron, to what extent it's hard to tell from this post, but a moron for sure. You said "original idea" many times in your post, yet the thread title is about *DESIGNS*, again being a moron I'm not sure if you even know the difference.

Jim

ridewiththewind

&#9829; Hippie Hustler &#9829;
Silver Member
robertno1pool said:
If you have a four-point veneer cue with three veneers on each point built, four-point veneer cues have been made before and that component of the cue is a copy of someone else’s idea. The colors you select have probably been done before in that same combination before.
components I do not like and had to choose between other options I do like where I could not have both.

Well, I would be extremely surprised to see the color combo I selected for my points/veneers used in another cue, prior to mine!! I put alot of thought into it...as well as the other aspects of the cue's design. As far as I know, I have never seen another Bois de Rose (Madagascar Rosewood) based cue that has Pink Ivory used in it as the accent wood!!! There are just sooo many other choices for available exotics, that it's really okay to think 'outside of the box'.

The point of contention here is not the use of dots, diamonds, notched diamonds, tiffany diamonds, peacocks..etc, it is using them in a direct and instantly recognizable design pattern that has been done before. I recently saw a cue done with fluer de lis (sp?) ivory inlays. Yes, they have been used before, but this particular maker added elements to the design, that while it is original in execution, immediately looks classical in design....the cue is simply stunning!!!

I know of another cue, currently in the works, that is using peacocks in such a way that while it is gonna be soooo utterly original, it is also gonna be very classical in design. It's gonna likely make you smack yourself on the forehead and go....jeez, why didn't I think of that!!!

The point here is, there are designs that can be done, with all the traditional inlays available, or with original inlays....that can still give the cue's overall design a very classical feel to it. While my cue uses a different design overall...to me, it still has a classical feel to it, while still being very different. No, it's not for everyone, but then again, I didn't design it for everyone...I designed it for ME!!!

Lisa

JimBo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ridewiththewind said:
Well, I would be extremely surprised to see the color combo I selected for my points/veneers used in another cue, prior to mine!! I put alot of thought into it...as well as the other aspects of the cue's design. As far as I know, I have never seen another Bois de Rose (Madagascar Rosewood) based cue that has Pink Ivory used in it as the accent wood!!! There are just sooo many other choices for available exotics, that it's really okay to think 'outside of the box'.

The point of contention here is not the use of dots, diamonds, notched diamonds, tiffany diamonds, peacocks..etc, it is using them in a direct and instantly recognizable design pattern that has been done before. I recently saw a cue done with fluer de lis (sp?) ivory inlays. Yes, they have been used before, but this particular maker added elements to the design, that while it is original in execution, immediately looks classical in design....the cue is simply stunning!!!

I know of another cue, currently in the works, that is using peacocks in such a way that while it is gonna be soooo utterly original, it is also gonna be very classical in design. It's gonna likely make you smack yourself on the forehead and go....jeez, why didn't I think of that!!!

The point here is, there are designs that can be done, with all the traditional inlays available, or with original inlays....that can still give the cue's overall design a very classical feel to it. While my cue uses a different design overall...to me, it still has a classical feel to it, while still being very different. No, it's not for everyone, but then again, I didn't design it for everyone...I designed it for ME!!!

Lisa

GREAT POST LISA!!!!
It's good to see that some people really do *get it*
I could not have said it better. Sad part is a few people understand but just want attention so they argue to get into the spot light.
Very well put, thanks.

Jim