is jumping allowed in APA?

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
JJ misread SD9's post, which stated the playing cue is the cue you use for the first shot after the break. Iirc, JJ also plays APA(or at least did), so he's not really a hater, was just poking at something he misread. As for playing with a shorty, I believe there are length restrictions, though I may be wrong.

No I didnt misread that I was being funny but sarcasm does not care over too well on here. Most people are very serious on here so it can be difficult to pull off.

Banks

Banned
No I didnt misread that I was being funny but sarcasm does not care over too well on here. Most people are very serious on here so it can be difficult to pull off.

That and tone of voice is hard to convey. Either way, I'm sure the OP got their answer.

Next question!

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
You must not read very well... :grin:

zoolander-center-for-kids.jpg

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes and no. You can jump but not with a jump cue

This is not so clear. The APA rules specify that you can only jump with your play cue. But if you elect to play all shots with your jump cue, I don't think APA can prevent you from using your jump cue to jump. It the part of having to use the jump cue for all your other shots that disuades players from using this "out".

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can use a dedicated break cue. You can change cue during a match actually... you just can't change to a jump cue

No...at least not in our apa league. You can change cues after you break but you can't change back during the course of a single game.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They make cues that are regular length that weigh about the same as a jump cue to make it legal for this reason.

This would not be legal according to the current APA rules. You can't use a cue specifically designed for purposes other than shooting the majority of the shots in a game (such as a break cue or jump cue)

Yes you can jump but not with the short cue. Also you cannot switch cues mid rack to jump with your break cue. Whichever cue you use for your first shot after the break is the cue you must use to finish the rack.
This is not correct according to current APA rules. You can switch cues on every shot if you wish. You can also switch to a different cue to jump. However, this other cue must also be a "regular shooting cue", defined as any cue designed to shoot the majority of shots. So if you had a standard playing cue with a regular leather tip, you could switch to this to jump.

For all intensive purposes you cannot jump with a jump cue. It is against the rules unless you want to play with said cue.

Also not correct. This info was outdated by the current rulebook. The old rules were as you say. Now, you can shoot every shot *except* a jump shot with a jump cue. Hilarious really.

KMRUNOUT

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Ummmm, appears you lack a sense of humor as well. I said I was kidding....I like to yank "justadub" chain once in awhile...cause I know he is a big supporter of the APA.

but unless you really believe I thought APA players do not play with cues... geez. Oh, by the way, I play in the APA as well. Don't like the rules much, but I play a few sessions a year.......

Sorry I missed out on all the fun, I was too busy playing APA last night :grin:

And we're good, RJ, I thought you were being funny in the first post. I take my pot shots at the funny stuff with the APA, too. Nothing is perfect, certainly not the APA, nor is it safe from being poked at occasionally.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not so clear. The APA rules specify that you can only jump with your play cue. But if you elect to play all shots with your jump cue, I don't think APA can prevent you from using your jump cue to jump. It the part of having to use the jump cue for all your other shots that disuades players from using this "out".

It is clear

1. You can use your playing cue to jump a ball
2. You cannot grab a jump cue to jump a ball
3. If you want to play your whole match with a jump cue you can use it to jump

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is clear

1. You can use your playing cue to jump a ball
2. You cannot grab a jump cue to jump a ball
3. If you want to play your whole match with a jump cue you can use it to jump

With all due respect, you are wrong here. This information is outdated. The newest rule book allows you to use a jump cue for any shot you wish *except* a jump shot. You must use a "regular shooting cue" to execute jumpshots. Review the most recent manual on the APA site. A "regular shooting cue" is defined as a cue *designed* to shoot the majority of shots in a pool game. This is not the design purpose of a jump cue or a break cue. So you are correct in saying it is clear. However the rule is in fact different than what you said.

KMRUNOUT

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all due respect, you are wrong here. This information is outdated. The newest rule book allows you to use a jump cue for any shot you wish *except* a jump shot. You must use a "regular shooting cue" to execute jumpshots. Review the most recent manual on the APA site. A "regular shooting cue" is defined as a cue *designed* to shoot the majority of shots in a pool game. This is not the design purpose of a jump cue or a break cue. So you are correct in saying it is clear. However the rule is in fact different than what you said.

KMRUNOUT

I really don't want to get into splitting hairs on what is or isn't considered a regular playing cue.

At the end of the day you effectively cannot use a jump cue to jump in APA.