Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Closed bridge
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
RunoutJJ
Professional Banger
RunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-21-2013, 07:55 PM

Open bridge is fine but I don't think you can hit the harder (force) draw and force follow shots without a solid closed bridge. I think that any shot that requires the use of a lot of english you need to use a closed bridge to hit that exact spot on the cueball.

"You just saw me run 62 balls, and you want to keep playing?" "Yeah, I didn't like the way you played it." ~Waterdog playing Straights

Hit a gear at one of those tournaments and have everyone saying, "Who the #$%& is that guy?", then start dogging it and have everyone be like, "Oh, never mind." ~Victorl

Old
  (#17)
victorl
Where'd my stroke go?
victorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-21-2013, 08:00 PM

You should tell that to Ronnie O'Sullivan..

Old
  (#18)
RunoutJJ
Professional Banger
RunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond reputeRunoutJJ has a reputation beyond repute

07-21-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorl View Post
You should tell that to Ronnie O'Sullivan..

Funny you should say that but I think in Snooker they can't used a closed bridge. I mean the balls are smaller and their cue sticks are a fricking needle. I will admit that the man is a BEAST and all without using a closed bridge

"You just saw me run 62 balls, and you want to keep playing?" "Yeah, I didn't like the way you played it." ~Waterdog playing Straights

Hit a gear at one of those tournaments and have everyone saying, "Who the #$%& is that guy?", then start dogging it and have everyone be like, "Oh, never mind." ~Victorl

Last edited by RunoutJJ; 07-21-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Old
  (#19)
Cuebuddy
Hoppies
Cuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond reputeCuebuddy has a reputation beyond repute

07-21-2013, 08:12 PM

I not only play with an open bridge but according to one BCA instructor that I play with

"That's the most open bridge I have ever seen". This instructor said he has now idea how the shaft of my cue even stays in place. I asked him if I should change it and he adamantly said NO!. I guess I play good enough that he said "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Having stated that> Work on a closed bridge. It is a important part of your arsenal and you should get comfortable using one.

I started playing with a closed bridge on certain shots including my break and have never looked back

Cuebuddy

bridge
Old
  (#20)
fishermanOICUR1
AzB Silver Member
fishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond reputefishermanOICUR1 has a reputation beyond repute

bridge - 07-21-2013, 09:02 PM

Due to surgery on my left index finger I am unable to bend that finger in order to make a closed bridge. Guess I'll have to give up those long power draws!

Natural pool cue glide tube???
Old
  (#21)
DEXTER
Runde fan
DEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond reputeDEXTER has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 0

Natural pool cue glide tube??? - 07-22-2013, 12:18 AM

Just saw this on Ebay..LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Pool...vip=true&rt=nc

Old
  (#22)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieOSullivan View Post
I am a marginal player who is improving at a pretty good rate. One thing though is that I've never used a closed bridge. My question is, do you feel as though experience with a closed bridge is necessary for one to improve or be a "good" player? I've always felt awkward when using a closed bridge, but I'm sure I could get fairly good at it with a lot of practice if necessary, but the question is, do those of you out there feel that it's necessary, or can a player do well enough with an open bridge to be good?
There are some situations where a closed bridge is necessary (e.g., awkward and low rail-cushion bridges), and some players will be more effective with a closed bridge (e.g., if they tend to lift the tip during the stroke due to grip tightening or elbow drop); but with good technique a closed bridge is not generally not required. In fact, an open bridge offers many advantages. For more info, including video demonstrations, see the open vs. closed bridge resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

Old
  (#23)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermanOICUR1 View Post
Due to surgery on my left index finger I am unable to bend that finger in order to make a closed bridge. Guess I'll have to give up those long power draws!
I know you are being a bit facetious but you can actually make a closed bridge using your middle finger. It might require turning the hand just a bit clockwise to be comfortable. You might want to give it a try. Or...maybe not.

Regards,
Rick

Old
  (#24)
Matt
AzB Silver Member
Matt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2013, 08:47 AM

Although the open bridge is touted for its accuracy since you can sight all the way down the cue, I find that my choice of bridge is usually a matter of comfort. For most shots, I can use a closed or open bridge interchangeably, so I usually let my subconscious dictate the bridge according to how my hand fits best on the table.

There are a few cases where I know I consciously choose a particular bridge. For shots that require more precise aim, sometimes I will go to an open bridge so I can see the tip of the cue from a lower stance. For my break, power draw or extreme english shots, I will usually go with a closed bridge because it allows me to hang onto the cue after the shot more easily.

One interesting experiment you should try is extreme follow and draw shots with an open and closed bridge. I find that I can get just as much action with either bridge, but feel more in control of the cue after the shot with the closed bridge.

Old
  (#25)
arps
tirador (ng pansit)
arps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond reputearps has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2013, 08:54 AM

if your stroke is straight using open bridge and you're able to draw well, then you're ok.

"Ang bilyar ay mahiwaga."
- Efren

Old
  (#26)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2013, 09:04 AM

A closed bridge isn't necessary but it helps on some shots. This is strictly my impression, I haven't researched it, but I believe most top players use both an open and closed bridge depending on the shot.

Old
  (#27)
victorl
Where'd my stroke go?
victorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond reputevictorl has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2013, 09:12 AM

So we all agree, bridge is mostly a matter of preference, unless you're into the "knuckle-claw bridge" or the "weird floaty-fingers bridge". Then you'd need help.

Old
  (#28)
ENGLISH!
Banned
ENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond reputeENGLISH! has a reputation beyond repute

07-22-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
So we all agree, bridge is mostly a matter of preference, unless you're into the "knuckle-claw bridge" or the "weird floaty-fingers bridge". Then you'd need help.
I'd say it depends on ones proficiency & level of play with an open bridge. A closed bridge might actually be an aid to some players.

But if one can execute all of the shots needed with an open bridge then why would they need to use a closed bridge? The answer is that they would not.

I would suggest that everyone try a closed bridge & if it is comfortable use it, especially on 'power' shots.

Last edited by ENGLISH!; 07-22-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Old
  (#29)
victorl
Where'd my stroke go?

07-22-2013, 09:33 AM

That's what I meant by 'mostly'.

Old
  (#30)
sfleinen
14.1 & One Pocket Addict
sfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond reputesfleinen has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

07-22-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Yup. I've gone entire portions of a straight pool run using just an open bridge, or just a closed bridge, or flip-flop between styles (because of a hurt finger or what-not), and not even know, until someone -- a "bridge zealot" (which I'll mention later) -- pointed it out to me. They'll ask, "why did you shoot that series of shots using nothing but open bridge, and then suddenly you switched to closed bridge?" My answer is at first an honest "I don't know," followed by a, "probably because the shot dictated it for ball-/rail-obstruction or draw or follow or comfortability reasons."

It might be helpful to realize that there are different styles of closed bridge, as well. While the "index finger looping over and contacting the thumb" seems to be the "classic" picture folks get in their minds when they picture the closed bridge, there are others -- and ones which are now more popular than that style, due to being more conducive to stability and accuracy.

The mislabeled "Filipino bridge" -- where the index finger presses down upon the top of the middle finger -- is almost a de-facto "must know" in the higher echelon of play. This type of bridge creates a "V"-channel inside that the cue shaft is guided on, which is much more accurate than the meaty loop offered by the classic "index finger looped over the shaft and touching the thumb" style. However, there's a trick to orienting that internal "V"-channel vertically so that it offers the same side-to-side stability that an open bridge offers:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showth...39#post3119239

And, one of the most unique closed bridges occurs when you take either of the above two types -- the "looped index finger" and/or the "index finger pressing down upon the middle finger" bridges -- and you fold the top half (last two joints) of the middle finger under the hand. In other words, only the upper segment of the middle finger is visible and supporting the cue shaft; the rest of that middle finger is folded under.

Willie Hoppe demonstrates:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sc4iaJWu8Ak#t=2m38s

What this does is to offer even more stability, and, in the case of the index-pressing-down-upon-the-middle finger bridge type, a naturally vertical "V"-channel without lifting the palm of the hand in the air nor any need for "scrunching." I use this for power draw shots, because folding that middle finger under the hand lowers the bridge close to the table surface, and because of its stability, you can really crank on the draw shots with little fear of miscuing, because the apex of the "V"-channel itself is resting on the table surface.

Summary: it's helpful to learn multiple bridge types, not just "open or closed." I see far too many people who choose one side or the other, as if it's an "either / or" contest, and count how many times they use either type, without really understanding why or what purpose each particular bridge type serves. (Or even worse, you get the "bridge-type zealots" who advocate one style of bridge type "no matter what -- you're a noob otherwise.")

It's a more-tools-in-the-toolbag thing, is what it is,
-Sean

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." -Isaac Asimov

"They haven't got brains, any of them, only grey fluff that's blown into their heads by mistake, and they don't think." -Eeyore, The House at Pooh Corner

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: