Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Draw shot on ball frozen to rail: Why does it pull away from rail?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Draw shot on ball frozen to rail: Why does it pull away from rail?
Old
  (#1)
ktrepal85
Banned
ktrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Draw shot on ball frozen to rail: Why does it pull away from rail? - 04-09-2015, 05:07 AM

Can anyone explain why when I shoot these two shots with draw the object ball always seems to pull away from the rail? I don't always miss the shot but it always comes off the rail some, maybe an inch, by the time it hits the pocket. If I use high or high inside the ball always stays glued to the rail.
Attached Images

Old
  (#2)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

04-09-2015, 05:13 AM

You are either hitting ball first or rail first too much and banking into the ball. Rail may be crooked also.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#3)
Tony_in_MD
You want some of this?
Tony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond reputeTony_in_MD has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2015, 05:15 AM

Do you think you may be putting unintended left or right english on the CB when hitting with draw?

Tony Marcino - PBIA Instructor
Member of the SPF family of instructors
443-624-0912

"High quality fundamentals beats all of the high quality concepts and esoteric executions ever created." -- Bert Kinister

Old
  (#4)
philly
AzB Gold Member
philly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond reputephilly has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hang-the-9 View Post
You are either hitting ball first or rail first too much and banking into the ball. Rail may be crooked also.
Yup. Simple as that.

Pool may not build character but it certainly will reveal it.

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" Unencumbered By The Thought Process

How do you feel? Fast and loose, man.

Old
  (#5)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2015, 05:23 AM

If I hit those shots soft, it tends to come off the rail a bit for me also, but I think that is mostly from the cloth and slate not being perfect underneath, at faster than 30% speed it hugs the rail pretty well, although the first picture with both balls on the rail can be tough because your eyes and hands instinctively try to shoot away from the rail a bit for fear of jamming the cueball into the rail, causing the object ball to bank into the rail, thus drifting out. I usually hit that shot with a tiny bit of inside to have it curve away from the rail and back in a tiny bit. Helps my brain to not fight me when I shoot that shot.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#6)
peter_gunn
])3a]) s']['rok3
peter_gunn has a reputation beyond reputepeter_gunn has a reputation beyond reputepeter_gunn has a reputation beyond reputepeter_gunn has a reputation beyond reputepeter_gunn has a reputation beyond reputepeter_gunn has a reputation beyond reputepeter_gunn has a reputation beyond reputepeter_gunn has a reputation beyond reputepeter_gunn has a reputation beyond reputepeter_gunn has a reputation beyond reputepeter_gunn has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

04-09-2015, 05:28 AM

On your first picture its almost impossible to draw (especially hard) because CB and OB are frozen on the rail. When you draw CB will hop a little and rail will send CB to the right

SFMBE sry for my bad english

playing cue: Siba custom CRO
break cue: Siba custom CRO

Old
  (#7)
Patrick Johnson
Banned
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_gunn View Post
On your first picture its almost impossible to draw (especially hard) because CB and OB are frozen on the rail. When you draw CB will hop a little and rail will send CB to the right
This is the reason the CB leaves the rail. The ball is slightly under the rail and every shot (not just draw shots) hops a little, so it hops up into the overhanging rail and rebounds away.

Hit softly or with a little inside spin to squirt it out and curve it back. Better yet, don't leave the CB on the rail.

When the CB isn't on the rail you have to overcut it slightly to allow for contact throw, like any other shot. Shoot it like any other shot at that angle.

pj
chgo

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 04-09-2015 at 05:43 AM.

Old
  (#8)
ktrepal85
Banned
ktrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond reputektrepal85 has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
This is the reason. The ball is slightly under the rail and every shot (not just draw shots) hops a little, so it hops up into the overhanging rail and rebounds away.

Hit softly or with a little inside spin to squirt it out and curve it back.

Better yet, don't leave yourself on the rail.

pj
chgo
That actually makes a lot of sense. Although I've never realized it until now, draw actually throws the ball upward(toward the ceiling) and that explains why it hits the rail lip and runs off. This also explains why follow throws the ball downward and allows it to ride under the rail. Thanks!

Old
  (#9)
JohnnyP
AzB Silver Member
JohnnyP has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyP has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyP has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyP has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyP has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyP has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyP has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyP has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyP has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyP has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyP has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2015, 06:05 AM

Also, the side pockets are a little bigger than they look because the equator of the object ball can go under the point. Very cool.

Old
  (#10)
jburkm002
AzB Gold Member
jburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond reputejburkm002 has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2015, 07:33 AM

Shots with object ball on the rail or slightly off are what impress me most about pros. No matter the cut angle they just seem to play those shots with ease. I see thin cuts where I might have to consider banking. They just cut it right in.

Old
  (#11)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
This is the reason the CB leaves the rail. The ball is slightly under the rail and every shot (not just draw shots) hops a little, so it hops up into the overhanging rail and rebounds away.

Hit softly or with a little inside spin to squirt it out and curve it back. Better yet, don't leave the CB on the rail.

When the CB isn't on the rail you have to overcut it slightly to allow for contact throw, like any other shot. Shoot it like any other shot at that angle.
Bingo!

For more info and related video demonstrations, see the rail cut shot resource page.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#12)
bdorman
Dead money
bdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2015, 08:14 AM

Brandon Gramse's Tip-of-the-Day on that subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q87RaibKZLo

The more I practice, the luckier I get. --- Gary Player

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. --- Abraham Lincoln

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers. --- Voltaire

Old
  (#13)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrepal85 View Post
Can anyone explain why when I shoot these two shots with draw the object ball always seems to pull away from the rail? I don't always miss the shot but it always comes off the rail some, maybe an inch, by the time it hits the pocket. If I use high or high inside the ball always stays glued to the rail.
This was explained a long time ago in one of Robert Byrne's books -- probably the "Advanced Technique" one. It was presented as a proposition shot.

If you haven't read Byrne's books on pool, your pool education is not close to complete.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: