CTE and TOI

oldmanatc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First let me request that only CTER's post in this thread. I would like to keep in on topic please. It seems by some posts some users have integrated these two systems, and I'm interested in learning how. I have CJ's dvd, but don't see how these two can be connected.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know very much about the "real" CTE as Stan teaches it, but I'd like to learn from him and I enjoy reading the threads until they become cat fights.

I use TOI and don't consider it an "aiming" system...I use it as a "playing" system where I position my cue ball so that I can use a TOI and maneuver the cue ball around the table without spin.

I, honestly, think that I use a "blend" of lots of things when aiming since I learned at a very early age working in a pool hall and have played for over 50 years.

I only play for a few hours each Sunday and I have been running racks and racks of 9-ball when my "eyes are right", so I must be doing something correctly.

I think there is a stage where people "overthink" aiming and it hurts them more than helping them. For me, I know when I will be able to hit the balls good after only looking at a few shots. I believe that "seeing" the line is the key to making balls. Some days I know I will not be playing as well as others because I know from my first few looks that my eyes are not focusing for some reason.

Aloha.

Last edited:

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First let me request that only CTER's post in this thread. I would like to keep in on topic please. It seems by some posts some users have integrated these two systems, and I'm interested in learning how. I have CJ's dvd, but don't see how these two can be connected.

So far so good. Hope the thread stays on track.

Have studied TOI and use it occasionally.

Bought Stan's latest DVD when it was available, I have watched it many times. I have also watched all of his YT videos many times.

The issue I have been having is where is the cue tip pointed before the pivot to CCB?
Any help here would be appreciated.

I have also visited Mohrt's website and have read the information there. He also has a link to the 90/90 system which is very good.

Thanks for the thread.

John

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CTE already has an overcut built into it. The small CB deflection of TOI for the overcut may have to be adjusted, but the principle of how the CB reacts after the hit is doable.

Lots of possibilities, here. Post your results! :cool:

Best,
Mike

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one of the more ridiculous CTE claims.

pj <- in a field of contenders
chgo

It's how all the visual systems work. Especially stick/ferrule aiming. The illusion is not so obvious unless you know where to look. At least you didn't use the word "nonsense".

Have a couple more hot toddies and explain why it's redonculous. In fact, Ekkes diagrams the overcut in his SAMBA system. But, you knew that.

Best,
Mike<- took it to the table

oldmanatc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well so far for shots that require a inside to out pivot, i just replace the pivot with a TOI . The amount varies based on how thin the cut is (duh). It'll take some practice. For thickening pivots I still havent found anything yet other than just TOI by itself to integrate the two systems.

The motivation behind this is two fold. I recently purchased a Z3 shaft and have been having problems with BHE do to the longer bridge length for BHE. Ironically inside english works better than it did with my old shaft, but outside is completely inconsistent. The other part of the fold is for whatever reason, I've found that parallel english just feels like a better stroke with easier follow through than BHE.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's how all the visual systems work. Especially stick/ferrule aiming. The illusion is not so obvious unless you know where to look. At least you didn't use the word "nonsense".

Have a couple more hot toddies and explain why it's redonculous. In fact, Ekkes diagrams the overcut in his SAMBA system. But, you knew that.

Best,
Mike<- took it to the table

So they're all ridiculous.

pj
chgo

Nice explanation.
Or do we just take PJ'S word for it.

PS PJ you know who that makes you sound like.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For just once, it would be nice if we could stay on the OP's topic.

I'm just learning CTE so I can't comment on combining it with TOI.

I can say this though TOI would be more beneficial to use rather than using spin. TOI would remove the spin from the QB that was put on it by the gearing effect of colliding with the OB. The shots would probably have to be hit a little firmer and position play would have to change to incorporate TOI on as many shots as possible.

Now that I think about it, Stan does mention TOI in one of his YT videos.

It's worth working on for a while. Should be fun. :)

John

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You made the ridiculous claim. Explain how it happens.

You're obviously just parroting the claim made by Stan without giving it a second's thought.

pj
chgo

Mikjary is not like you are.......He has made the trip to Kentucjy for CTE instruction. He is not parroting anything that I have said. Mikjary speaks from experience which is the real teacher. You owe him an apology.

There is an overcut that is inherent to the real CTE process. You and I can meet at a table and I will present the overcut and you can present otherwise based on your position that it does not exist.

The overcut is as obvious as it is that you know very little about CTE.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited:

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Could someone please explain (not Patrick for now please) what Mikjary or Stan mean by CTE has an OVERCUT built into it. If the CTE takes you to center pocket than the overcut wording seems a bit out of place. If I "overcut" I hit the outboard side of the pocket or dam miss the shot. (hate it when that happens)

Seems maybe one is trying to say CTE as applied correctly takes one to the required shot angle that has throw, squirt already corrected for?

oldmanatc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't start this thread to discuss the efficacy of either system. I again ask if we could stay on the original subject of combinig aspects of TOI with CTE.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could someone please explain (not Patrick for now please) what Mikjary or Stan mean by CTE has an OVERCUT built into it. If the CTE takes you to center pocket than the overcut wording seems a bit out of place. If I "overcut" I hit the outboard side of the pocket or dam miss the shot. (hate it when that happens)

Seems maybe one is trying to say CTE as applied correctly takes one to the required shot angle that has throw, squirt already corrected for?

The overcut is as if a ghost ball were butted up to an OB, so that when the system is properly applied it results in a slight observable visual alignment just past the core or the shot line for the ghost ball set-up.

Great corrections, but not perfection corrections, are built in for CIT. CTE is foundationally a CCB system that results in center pocketing that would satisfy any profession player.

Stan Shuffett

Last edited: