70's video of Minnesota Fats (Rudolf Walter Wanderone) shooting his best game 3C

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member
Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter has mentioned several times that Fats best game was 3C, and he rarely saw him lose at it. Came across this video recently, from his brief game show he had where he played celebrities.

Fat's shooting 3C...well

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter has mentioned several times that Fats best game was 3C, and he rarely saw him lose at it. Came across this video recently, from his brief game show he had where he played celebrities.

Fat's shooting 3C...well

This short video shows his knowledge.

1)Excellent break shot.
2)Fats played the "big ball" quite well on the second shot.
3) On the third shot, I noticed he was lining up the "4th rail return."

Fats knew what the hell he was doing in that game, boys and girls!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
This short video shows his knowledge.

1)Excellent break shot.
2)Fats played the "big ball" quite well on the second shot.
3) On the third shot, I noticed he was lining up the "4th rail return."

Fats knew what the hell he was doing in that game, boys and girls!

That's why his One Pocket was so good. Everyone says he was a dog, but him waving 30 year old $1000 bills around in the 60s said he used to snap it off regularly.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's why his One Pocket was so good. Everyone says he was a dog, but him waving 30 year old $1000 bills around in the 60s said he used to snap it off regularly.

"Everyone says he was a dog"
--------------------------------------------------

Only those who have no clue - he was not close to the top players in 9 Ball or
Straight pool. But his Bank was top notch and it took a champion to beat him at One Pocket.

Dale

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
Fats was way better than a lot of people give him credit for.

R.I.P. Fatty

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
fats

Fat's shooting 3C...well

I assume you're referring to "New York Fats", which is what Mr. Wanderone was known as until he appropriated the handle, "Minnesota Fats", who was a character in a book and a movie, until NYF decided to cash in on the fame of the character played by Jackie Gleason...

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume you're referring to "New York Fats", which is what Mr. Wanderone was known as until he appropriated the handle, "Minnesota Fats", who was a character in a book and a movie, until NYF decided to cash in on the fame of the character played by Jackie Gleason...

Gee Donny...

This is the header of the Post.

"70's video of Minnesota Fats (Rudolf Walter Wanderone) shooting his best game 3C"
.................................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^................

Doesn't leave much doubt as to exactly whom is being referred to now, does it?

Dale(observant to a fault)

Last edited:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
??

Gee Donny...

This is the header of the Post.

"70's video of Minnesota Fats (Rudolf Walter Wanderone) shooting his best game 3C"
.................................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^................

Doesn't leave much doubt as to exactly whom is being referred to now, does it?

Dale(observant to a fault)

From what I've read, Fats was never known as Minnesota Fats until he began to call himself "MF" after The Hustler became a hit. Wanderone was fifty at that time. (It was shortly after that when I met him.)

Yes, Wanderone's clever plan worked very well, and most people have accepted his version of pool history ever since.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
When he was young, Rudy spent time sparring with the likes of Eric Hagenlacher, a multi-world champion billiard player. I'm sure he knew his way around the table quite well.

billinboston

Registered
Fats played his best from the forties till early 1950's per Evelyn.
Yet.... Ronnie Allen said he had a hell of a time with him
In the late 60's with Ronnie giving him 8-7
And the games went quick and back and forth
Jersey Red said that in the 60's... Fatty played damn good one
Pocket when the money got up pretty high per game
A lot of people seem to not only remember Fatty shooting a lot of eight
And outs... but also remember at how little time he needed
To decide the patterns to do it.
Boston Shorty told me he has seen Fatty beat good players for huge money
Over and over at one pocket and nobody wanted to play him banks