Favorite Pool Movie?

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave Nelson said:
Sorry Jay, can't agree. All you need for poker is a table and a 40 wat bulb. Pool tables are expensive and take up a lot of space. And I love the game just as much as you do. I just don't play it as well.

Dave Nelson

Sometimes size matters, sometimes it doesn't. You need 200 acres for a golf course and last time I checked golf was doing pretty well. For the around the world yacht race, you need a Yacht and 35,000 miles of ocean.

Wayne

Mike Porter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Hustler is definitely #1. No mention of ?The Baron and The Kid? starring Johnny Cash?? If my memory serves me right I would probably rank it #2 or 3 at the most.

Mike

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Z mann R2 said:
actually its was Rudolf Wanderone Jr. who was know as "New York Fats". "Minnesota Fats" is a fictional charactor in the novel the Hustler that was based on him.

I don't even know what to say about this.....

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Z mann R2 said:
actually its was Rudolf Wanderone Jr. who was know as "New York Fats". "Minnesota Fats" is a fictional charactor in the novel the Hustler that was based on him.

Wasn't based on Wanderone. Here we go, again!!

Road Warrior

chillaxin
Silver Member
turn the river one pocket

A question about the one pocket in Turn The River, every rack of one pocket they played started with a straight pool break not the break where you split the first and second ball, is or was the straight pool break used a lot for one pocket?

PickPocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuz perhaps someone will make a new A+ Movie Soon?!

In my opinion: (In order from best to worst)

Hustler
TCOM
The Baltimore Bullet
Pool Hall Junkies
The Baron & The Kid
Stickmen
Shooting Gallery
Turn the River
9 Ball
Kiss Shot

I've yet to see the following:
Virgin Pockets
Up Against the 8

My personal "Go to Movie" is TCOM by far, (followed by the Baltimore Bullet)

So who's going to make a modern movie SOON that belongs at least near the top of everyone's list?! (Challenged!!) :thumbup:

Last edited:

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
"Pool is what it is." is a useless tautology.
"Pool is no longer what it was."
"Pool will be other than it is now."

There are those of is who wish better for pool.

Thank you kindly.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I would say The Color of Money, which only wins out because it is slightly more of a "pool movie" than The Hustler. The Hustler was a love story with pool as a backdrop, and about the maturation of Felson. The Hustler was definitely the better movie, though.

TCOM used pool much more to show how Felson and Vinny changed over time.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well....

I have mixed emotions about pool movies as all to often they portray what is shady, dysfunctional people instead of the thousands of decent people that love the game.

I gre up in the hey day of Paul Newman, George C. Scott, Jackie Gleason, Hope Lange, etc. and they were good actors capable of making good believable characters. Tom Cruise is not way up there on my list of good actors though.

So I guess the original Hustler movie is my favorite. Even if it does portray the negative side of pool.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
"DOUBLE OR NOTHING" Best pool movie of all time. (ok it's still not better than the Hustler) It just has not been made yet. I'm still shopping the screenplay. No takers. Might have to do one of those low budget indie specials with no stars and lots of "volunteers" where we make a movie for $30K and hope to hit it big.

If anyone knows a "Hollywood" guy I can send the screenplay to, you will get PRODUCER credit on the movie and a 5% stake of all profits. I KID you not.

Just tired of not getting this made, especially seeing some of the junk that gets green lighted out there right now. Spent 2 years writing this, and I'm tired of looking at it sit there collecting dust. Got a few "tire kickers" but not what they were looking for right now. I guess the remake of Gilligans Island takes priority ;)

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"DOUBLE OR NOTHING" Best pool movie of all time. (ok it's still not better than the Hustler) It just has not been made yet. I'm still shopping the screenplay. No takers. Might have to do one of those low budget indie specials with no stars and lots of "volunteers" where we make a movie for $30K and hope to hit it big.

If anyone knows a "Hollywood" guy I can send the screenplay to, you will get PRODUCER credit on the movie and a 5% stake of all profits. I KID you not.

Just tired of not getting this made, especially seeing some of the junk that gets green lighted out there right now. Spent 2 years writing this, and I'm tired of looking at it sit there collecting dust. Got a few "tire kickers" but not what they were looking for right now. I guess the remake of Gilligans Island takes priority ;)

Good for you RJ. I hope you are successful in this endeavor. You are obviously a multi faceted individual.

Reactions: KRJ

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Missing One Movie

Though not a great movie, Pool Hall Master, is an independently produced movie by Joe Santos of San Antonio. Has several good players in it, some good playing. Worth having in your collection.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Hustler is a sensational movie and up there with the very best movies of all time regardless of whether or not it's a pool movie. The Color of Money is a very good movie in it's own right despite being a sequel to one of the best movies of the 20th century. It does pool well too. The Baltimore Bullet is very entertaining, a bit "hokey" (to quote a 2plus2 poster) and a good feel good movie. It stays true to pool too. The Pool Hustlers (an Italian billiard movie) was good as was Billy The Kid and The Green Baize Vampire (a "musical" of sorts about snooker) and I have heard that the Rack Pack is worth a watch but haven't seen it yet. .

So in pure pool terms:

1. The Hustler
2. The Color of Money
3, The Baltimore Bullet
4. ......why did they bother?