Cue Recommendations

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be in the market for a new custom cue in the very near future. Can you posters recommend a good custom cuemaker? I don't want to spend a fortune ($500-$600) and I don't really want a plain jane or sneaky pete type cue either. Something with some inlays, points, rings, etc, but nothing overwhelming.

Any cuemaker come to mind? I just thought I would ask because I know there are so many cuemakers out there and I don't have the time to research them all nor do I have the recent Blue Book.

And please, come on now, keep the BS and crap out of this thread.

r/Mike

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Define what you mean as BS, and crap.
Anyway, I'm thinking you're not going to get much for five to six hundred dollars. Maybe an unknown cue maker who wants to get his stuff out for others to see. I doubt if any of the well know builders will answer the phone for less than fifteen-hundred.
Buy a Schon with a Predator shaft. You won't regret it. :smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I might be in the market for a new custom cue in the very near future. Can you posters recommend a good custom cuemaker? I don't want to spend a fortune ($500-$600) and I don't really want a plain jane or sneaky pete type cue either. Something with some inlays, points, rings, etc, but nothing overwhelming.

Any cuemaker come to mind? I just thought I would ask because I know there are so many cuemakers out there and I don't have the time to research them all nor do I have the recent Blue Book.

And please, come on now, keep the BS and crap out of this thread.

r/Mike

You realize that "BS" stands for Barry Szamboti?
...you price limit might get you joint protectors in that spot.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might try Coker Cues or a lower end Jacoby. Lots of Schon cues in that price range.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I already have a Schon and a Jacoby. I'm a poor retiree from government service so I cant afford to spend a lot of $$$. Hoping to find a steal of a deal somewhere. Been thinking about a Falcon but I think at this point i'd rather have a custom.

r/DCP

63Kcode

AKA Larry Vigus
Silver Member
Start local and work you way out. Don't buy a cue based on the cheapest price for the style you want. By buying local. You have a better chance of hitting with the cue makers cue. He will also be less likely to go missing if there is a problem.

Larry

BigAppleSkinny

Registered
Can't go wrong with a Dominiak Cue. He has a website so you can see the styles he is currently offering. I have owned many and never had an issue with any of them.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There aren't many cue makers I'd trust to deliver a solid playing cue that is fancier than a plain Jane for the money you're looking to spend. One of the few that comes to mind is Jeff Olney. Makes a solid playing cue at bargain prices. Also Rat cues...I see lots of plain Janes that don't look very plain because of really good wood choices.

Now you can get plenty of great playing cues in this price range, but they're unlikely to have points and/or inlays. I'd focus less on that and more on quality and playability with your budget.

Bossman225

Registered
J. Pechauer makes some pretty good cues and have some good prices also. I've been playing with one for about 8 years and I love it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I can see nothing good about giving cue recommendations to the OP.

Some poor cue maker takes it upon themselves to give him a good deal on a custom, and then the threads start.

I got this stick and can't make a ball with it, it isn't balanced right, the inlays are too bright and give a glare. All 3 shafts they gave me are no good.

But hey, he is only looking for a "steal" for $500 to $600

Ask some league players, they always have extra sticks and usually nice ones.
Oh wait, you've alienated the league crowd.

sixwillwin

King of the Meadow
Silver Member
Cuetec r360 for $168. I just destroyed my opponent with mine, and I Know how much you love cuetecs.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
In that price range could get a new joss. Not many customs with points/ring work available at those prices.

Look used on here and Facebook.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For your budget it is near impossible to find a decent custom maker to take on a cue like you described :(

If I were you I would use the money to buy a Schön or a Mezz cue. Mezz has some really nice looking cues in the sub 600 price range. A few links below to give you a taste :rolleyes: If you want to try different shfts on it, get one with the United joint. A standard 5/16x14 shafts fits on it. If you dont want to change it, the Wavy joint is good too. And Mezz shafts are great in every way to start with so you may want to stick with them anyway :smile:

http://mezzcues.us/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=25&zenid=799b7289d37325fb0a6e372d0f40f6f2

http://mezzcues.us/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=27&zenid=2320485bcccc7a3e064e6de813da7e0e

http://mezzcues.us/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

Mezz cues are the best on market when it comes to build&finish quality. You wont regret buying one :rolleyes:

Rin

頑張ります
Silver Member
For that budget you can order a custom cue from the Philippines. I have several custom cues from there from the same maker, one of them is my playing cue.

My cue is super beautiful (I always get compliments everywhere I go) and plays super great, I've yet to find a better playing cue. But I do have an ob shaft on it and not the original maple shaft (which is still straight).

But keep in mind that there are several factors why people don't like cues from the Philippines, maybe I got lucky who knows.

Catamount

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Talk to Paul Dayton. He makes great playing cues, and I believe he can do a design you'll like in that price range.

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wondering if the OP is serious. It seems unrealistic to think you could buy a custom cue from a reputable one man show kind of cue maker with that budget. If you desire that kind of cue maker, a Merry Widow would be about the most you could expect and more likely a Sneaky Pete in my opinion. I have a Blackcreek Sneaky and like a lot. I strongly recommend one of those. If you want more I'd think production type cues would be your only option. I'm currently having a basic 4 point traditional type cue being made and it's more than the budget stated and I feel I got a very fair price.

Last edited: