Who are the greatest players who you have ever seen, who had an ugly looking stroke?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm sitting here watching Django Bustamante play semifinals in the Cole Dickson tournament streaming via Daniel Busch and POV Pool. Busti's stroke has more moving parts than a 70 year old former competitive eating world champion holding a sharpei wrinkle dog in their arms while falling down a flight of stairs. But it's POETRY!

Lesh

That was poetry, right there.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was like, hmm self- I've never seen Allen Hopkins play but he can't be that bad. So I youtubed one of his matches.

Needless to say, I get it. He has my vote for worst follow through ever.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
understand allen's short poke stroke was developed because of limited space where he practiced as a kid.

And, he won more tournaments, including us open straight, than any of you.

All the best,
ww

thread: Who are the greatest players who you have ever seen, who had an ugly looking stroke? Reply to thread

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't even look at Mike Davis playing - honestly had to leave the room at the Expo
This! I started watching a YouTube video of him playing and had to turn it off. Bypass all of them now

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never been a fan of the old school, high stance/side arm poke-strokers of the past. But I guess during Mosconi's time such mechanics are considered the normal standard. The fact that they made it work baffles me.

Ismael Paez's stroke is one that I still remember as being particularly unaesthetic. He did very well at the 2000 World Championships, but ultimately his jumpy stroke was his undoing, losing in the finals to Chao Fong Pang with an embarrassing scoreline of 17-6.

In the world of snooker, you also have players with horrible cue actions. Alex Higgins is a true genius, but his overall mechanics reminds me of a low-level pool banger. Barry Pinches' set-up is all over the place--I dare you to find another current top snooker pro with a funnier way of approaching the shot.

I believe there are two main different reasons why some top players develop unorthodox technique which may seem "ugly" to most people. The first case is that the player started playing at an early age with the wrong technique and didn't have any proper coaching to get it fixed, until the stroke became "grooved", ie Efren, Bustamante. Another probable reason is that the player is constantly tinkering with his technique until it becomes a menagerie of unorthodox mechanics (grip, stance, alignment, approach to the shot), ie Barry Pinches.

Last edited:

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith McCready
Francisco B.
Rafael Martinez

None of their strokes can be considered anything close to pretty or textbook (such as an Allison Fisher) but if I could hit the ball like any one of them, I wouldn't care!

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also think players who gambled a lot early in their careers didn't want a stroke that looked beautiful in fear of scaring away potential fishes.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't really stand van Boening's stroking. Very whippy allover the place.

But - he does sink balls a lot and can play decent safeties, too. While I really don't like jump shots - his jumping in the Mosconi was excellent.
Sometimes I do like a good show off shot (which he doesn't do) like Alex Higgins who was a true genius.

Cheers,
M

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopkins....... Worst looking stroke ever IMO. :grin:

I have been told that I look good at the table, and have a great looking stroke!..However, I must confess, I would gladly trade strokes with Hopkins, for his outstanding win/loss record over the years.:p ..Like Jim Furyk on the PGA tour.. Ugliest looking, loopy swing of all the pros, but 98% of them, wish they had his record! :cool:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Mike Davis.

John Schmidt is not as bad as Mike Davis...but his stroke is similar.....
...picks the cue up from his armpit on his backstroke.

I had a bet on him when he won the US Open ten years ago.....
...so no bitterness here...
...but I couldn't believe I was betting on a guy with a stroke like that...and wearing a glove.
The glove has become very acceptable now....but that stroke never will.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In fairness to Fats' stance Bob ... he really couldn't bend over to get down on a shot. ;)

That's what amazed me. He shot nearly upright, didn't take hardly any time to aim, that I could see anyway, continually shot the shit with the gallery, then he'd snap off a bank that split the pocket.

I can actually remember seeing him play Willie live on my parents' 21" Zenith black and white TV. Knowing of their bad blood, perhaps that is as serious as he ever got. Unless he was still not bringing his "A' game unless he was playing for the gold and for all the caaaassshh. :shrug:

minnesota-fats-2.jpg

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That's what amazed me. He shot nearly upright, didn't take hardly any time to aim, that I could see anyway, continually shot the shit with the gallery, then he'd snap off a bank that split the pocket.

I can actually remember seeing him play Willie live on my parents' 21" Zenith black and white TV. Knowing of their bad blood, perhaps that is as serious as he ever got. Unless he was still not bringing his "A' game unless he was playing for the gold and for all the caaaassshh. :shrug:

minnesota-fats-2.jpg

Cowboy Jimmy Moore was just about as upright as Fats.....
....but he was awesome to watch...didn't look awkward at all.

image.jpg

Hidy Ho

Missed 4 rail hanger!!!
Silver Member
I'm baffled by seeing Bustamante's name in this thread. His aiming and long stroke is definitely different but it's definitely not "ugly" to me. It's very beautiful and fluid looking.

In fact, I don't think it's possible to be a Pinoy/Pinay and have an ugly stroke. I've never seen one. :D

First name that came to my mind about ugly stroke, like man others here, is Allen Hopkins. But I did learn from watching (and experimenting) his stroke that having a short back swing is not a bad thing for accuracy.

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
I don't want to use the word ugly, but watching Keith McCready's stroke rattles me. I can't imagine using that sidearm stroke and having consistent alignment. It's a smooth stroke, though, and he clearly has control of it.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen some of the names mentioned earlier, but I have seen Keith McCready play. I don't know how he ever made a ball but it obviously worked for him.
Actually, being a money player it probably paid double. Can you imagine walking into a pool hall and seeing this guy shooting side-arm? You probably walked up to him first to get a game. Wonder how many times this happened before he became known? Hmmmm......

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I can actually remember seeing him play Willie live on my parents' 21" Zenith black and white TV. Knowing of their bad blood, perhaps that is as serious as he ever got. Unless he was still not bringing his "A' game unless he was playing for the gold and for all the caaaassshh.
Bob, Here's that legendary match between Mosconi and Fats in its entirety:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6B1XncJoD0

(The VHS mis-tracking lines clear up a couple of minutes into the video -- no worries.) Towards the end, Dennis's upload thoughtfully also includes a number of very entertaining trick shots performed by Willie, Fats, Irving Crane and other pool notables.

Arnaldo