Just a Couple Random Thoughts

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
You know, with all the flak I've heard that the players should have known and made KT post up the money beforehand, it seems that not one player expected money to be put up on the light. When someone starts an organization, you just don't expect what happened to happen.

When I started a women's regional tour, we never posted the money up front (and I doubt any of the current women's tours do either) - it is always assumed the money is there. Even though it is on a much smaller scale, if one of our board members screwed up and did not get a written contract in place for the added money and the room owner decided not to add say, the full $1000 but only $500, we were beholden to add the full $1000 and the extra $500 came out of our funds and player's fees, because that is the way it was advertised.

Even now, if you make a flyer to advertise your event and it says $1000 added, but you don't add the words, "based on 64 players", (or whatever), you are legally bound to add the full $1000, even if only 4 players show up. Now that is a little extreme, but if someone wanted to push it, it is my understanding they could, because it was advertised as $1000 added, period.

What happened with the IPT....well, yes, KT had a spotty past, but then, so do a lot of pool players. He was also a very wealthy man who decided to turn his riches towards pool players. He promised funding for at least 2 solid years based on that wealth. He set up lavish venues and dazzled the world with amenities unseen before for the players. We had every expectation that it would continue. After all, he never posted for the first couple of events and we still got paid. He was a man of his word to the players.

People base their decisions on what THEY would do...how human behaviour averages out. Would our regional tour have stiffed the players and not paid the full $1000? Heck NO! The thought would never have even crossed our minds. And that's the approach most every pool player took when they joined the IPT. After all, if it wasn't legit, wouldn't this guy's name be mud in the pool and business world? Who would want to face that?

Well, evidently, there are some people who don't mind. They look it at maybe as a business failure, but not a personal or moral failure. They discount the damage placed on the player's lives, due to the expectations they set up.

When I was accepted into the IPT, I was ecstatic. That my husband was accepted too was a reason for celebration. We could fulfill our dream of travelling and playing pool together in huge tournaments. The reality is that I have not even recouped my travel expenses for 3 tournaments.

The reality is that I gave up a WPBA double qualifier spot (winning the tournament with 46 women from WA, OR, FL, Toronto, Vancouver BC and Calgary), due to the IPT schedule and taking too much time off work already, when now, there is no IPT schedule and I certainly could have used that spot.

And my losses are insignificant compared to everyone else's. The top 100 or so players in the world that were members are still hoping against hope that something can be salvaged - maybe a tour on a smaller scale and that at least we will receive a monthly stipend for services already rendered.

I'm talking about the huge depression that descended on pool players everywhere, causing many to give up the player's life, at least temporarily. And I'm talking about the daily, sometimes hourly shifts of emotion which we endured in the months following Reno. I'm talking about the huge dent in morale in the pool world in members, qualifiers, room owners, and many others who had attached some small dream to the IPT. By having the IPT become successful, the whole industry could have reaped rewards.

Now, we just feel used, abused, jaded, and like wrung-out dishrags to be discarded. Instead of a profession that my husband could be proud of that would give him validity in the one arena he has played in all his life, he is back to playing in weekly and weekend tournaments.

Did we deserve it? No, I really don't think so. :eek:

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well said, Linda. I find the suggestion that the players got what they deserved to be absolutely ridiculous.

The reality of the moment when the IPT formed was that the players had few real aces to play and could, therefore, not demand much. Once KT made it clear that he was not even, necessarily, committed to having the very best players on his roster, he was sure to fill his roster to his own satisfaction.

In theory, the top players could have stood together in the earliest days, but on what basis would they have chanced being left out of what looked to be the most lucrative paydays of their respective careers?

Save the few that, living in denial, chose to view KT as a fully reformed criminal, nearly all IPT members were fully aware of KT's track record in the area of consumer fraud, but they were, understandably, drawn in by the financial possibilities, and, quite logically, chose not to make waves with a guy who was well positioned to become pro pool's greatest ever benefactor.

In hindsight, it's easy to jump to the conclusion that the IPT members were naive, but that's not fair. Circumstance made the flyer they all took on the IPT practically compulsory, and depsite the truly disheartening results, I cannot find fault with the players.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Here are a few of my random thoughts, Linda. I don't want you to feel as if I am being nasty towards you or anybody, I am just being honest from point of view concerning the entire situation.

Everybody was warned well before the first event that Kevin Trudeau had a history of abandoning business ventures and hanging others out to dry. You and I had several communications about that subject privately. I distinctly remember you saying that its a risk that you were willing to take - at that time.

What happened to the players was horrible, inexcusable, yet 100% avoidable. Early on I pleaded with all of the players that I had communication with. I asked them to ask for something in writing from Kevin Trudeau. In response I was called an enemy of the IPT and someone that was praying for its downfall. You know that was not the case because I had supported your participation in the IPT 110% and I even offered to be your cornerman in Vegas. We all remember what happened to you in Vegas. IMO, that was the most detestable act committed by the IPT.

Since I spoke spoke out about the IPT, I have lost many friendships with people that chose to remain loyal to Kevin and to distance themselves from me. I'm fine with that. I didn't ask for anybody's loyalty, I asked for the players to exercise common sense. The result speaks louder than anything else. In the end - you guys have none of the big money your were promised, you guys have no tour, and Kevin is nowhere to be found. It panned out exactly the way I said it would - but then again I'm just a negative naysayer - the evil prophet of doom. Don't listen to me - I haven't ripped off as many people as Kevin Trudeau, I can't fill your pockets with money, and the message I send out asks for the players to take responsibility for the advancement of the sport. Take me and hang me from an oak tree by my balls for saying such evil nonsense.

Now I'm not willing to assist players in any capacity at all anymore. I look at all that I put into doing that and now I look what I received in return. Its not worth it. I am pretty sure that Kevin Trudeau is sitting somewhere saying the same exact thing. If the players want a tour that is prosperous then they have to work for it. You get nothing for nothing and damn little for 2 cents. Unless the players are united and present themselves professionally ( as well as organized) to the industry and outside industry sponsorship prospects - then they will continue to be treated the same way that Camel and KT treated them. Why is that so difficult to understand? I find it very difficult to feel sorry for anybody that knowingly trusted Kevin Trudeau in any way. Kevin has done this to every business that he has been associated with. IMO, Deno is just as guilty as Kevin - no matter how nice of a guy Deno may be. I agree with you - nobody deserved what happened - but in the future be wiser and listen to those that have been through similar situations in the past. Those are my random thoughts. Who has the oak tree ready? lol

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Now I'm not willing to assist players in any capacity at all anymore. I look at all that I put into doing that and now I look what I received in return.

I know where you're coming from, Dave, and there's little denying that you saw the trainwreck coming, one that so many of us feared, but felt far less certain of than you.

Metaphorically, I am reminded of the investor told by a friend that he is making an ill-advised investment. There's hardly a result that doesn't threaten the friendship. If it works out, it's I told you so far too often with possible loss of respect. If the investment doesn't pan out, far too often, the investor resents the friend who advised against. In reality, though, despite any resulting ill-will between the two over the incident, the things that attracted these friends to each other in the first place are largely unchanged. By every measure of logic, the two should bury the hatchet and remain friends.

To a point, Dave, I wonder whether you've simply been the friend of pool that tried to warn the players that their investments of money and effort were ill-advised. You are disheartened and offended that so many in pool resent you, and that's certainly understandable, but such resentment should have been every bit as predictable to you as was the IPT trainwreck.

Dare I suggest, Dave, that by every measure of logic, you and pro pool should bury the hatchet and remain friends?

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
I know where you're coming from, Dave, and there's little denying that you saw the trainwreck coming, one that so many of us feared, but felt far less certain of than you.

Metaphorically, I am reminded of the investor told by a friend that he is making an ill-advised investment. There's hardly a result that doesn't threaten the friendship. If it works out, it's I told you so far too often with possible loss of respect. If the investment doesn't pan out, far too often, the investor resents the friend who advised against. In reality, though, despite any resulting ill-will between the two over the incident, the things that attracted these friends to each other in the first place are largely unchanged. By every measure of logic, the two should bury the hatchet and remain friends.

To a point, Dave, I wonder whether you've simply been the friend of pool that tried to warn the players that their investments of money and effort were ill-advised. You are disheartened and offended that so many in pool resent you, and that's certainly understandable, but such resentment should have been every bit as predictable to you as was the IPT trainwreck.

Dare I suggest, Dave, that by every measure of logic, you and pro pool should bury the hatchet and remain friends?

A very good point. Bury the hatchet. It just ain't worth it.

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Here are a few of my random thoughts, Linda. I don't want you to feel as if I am being nasty towards you or anybody, I am just being honest from point of view concerning the entire situation.

Everybody was warned well before the first event that Kevin Trudeau had a history of abandoning business ventures and hanging others out to dry. You and I had several communications about that subject privately. I distinctly remember you saying that its a risk that you were willing to take - at that time.

What happened to the players was horrible, inexcusable, yet 100% avoidable. Early on I pleaded with all of the players that I had communication with. I asked them to ask for something in writing from Kevin Trudeau. In response I was called an enemy of the IPT and someone that was praying for its downfall. You know that was not the case because I had supported your participation in the IPT 110% and I even offered to be your cornerman in Vegas. We all remember what happened to you in Vegas. IMO, that was the most detestable act committed by the IPT.

Since I spoke spoke out about the IPT, I have lost many friendships with people that chose to remain loyal to Kevin and to distance themselves from me. I'm fine with that. I didn't ask for anybody's loyalty, I asked for the players to exercise common sense. The result speaks louder than anything else. In the end - you guys have none of the big money your were promised, you guys have no tour, and Kevin is nowhere to be found. It panned out exactly the way I said it would - but then again I'm just a negative naysayer - the evil prophet of doom. Don't listen to me - I haven't ripped off as many people as Kevin Trudeau, I can't fill your pockets with money, and the message I send out asks for the players to take responsibility for the advancement of the sport. Take me and hang me from an oak tree by my balls for saying such evil nonsense.

Now I'm not willing to assist players in any capacity at all anymore. I look at all that I put into doing that and now I look what I received in return. Its not worth it. I am pretty sure that Kevin Trudeau is sitting somewhere saying the same exact thing. If the players want a tour that is prosperous then they have to work for it. You get nothing for nothing and damn little for 2 cents. Unless the players are united and present themselves professionally ( as well as organized) to the industry and outside industry sponsorship prospects - then they will continue to be treated the same way that Camel and KT treated them. Why is that so difficult to understand? I find it very difficult to feel sorry for anybody that knowingly trusted Kevin Trudeau in any way. Kevin has done this to every business that he has been associated with. IMO, Deno is just as guilty as Kevin - no matter how nice of a guy Deno may be. I agree with you - nobody deserved what happened - but in the future be wiser and listen to those that have been through similar situations in the past. Those are my random thoughts. Who has the oak tree ready? lol

No David, I don't take your thoughts to be mean or nasty. You are also a victim of the fallout. I commend you on your efforts to guide and shape professional pool. But it is rather like herding cats; players will align themselves with what appears to be the easy ticket and not many want to work for it. I have also volunteered to help organize players, but see no clear cut way to get everyone's participation.

Had we had an organization and people in the beginning in there asking all the right questions, I still believe we may have not have gotten straight answers and gotten big claims anyway.

Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:
You know, with all the flak I've heard that the players should have known and made KT post up the money beforehand, it seems that not one player expected money to be put up on the light. When someone starts an organization, you just don't expect what happened to happen.

When I started a women's regional tour, we never posted the money up front (and I doubt any of the current women's tours do either) - it is always assumed the money is there. Even though it is on a much smaller scale, if one of our board members screwed up and did not get a written contract in place for the added money and the room owner decided not to add say, the full $1000 but only $500, we were beholden to add the full $1000 and the extra $500 came out of our funds and player's fees, because that is the way it was advertised.

Even now, if you make a flyer to advertise your event and it says $1000 added, but you don't add the words, "based on 64 players", (or whatever), you are legally bound to add the full $1000, even if only 4 players show up. Now that is a little extreme, but if someone wanted to push it, it is my understanding they could, because it was advertised as $1000 added, period.

What happened with the IPT....well, yes, KT had a spotty past, but then, so do a lot of pool players. He was also a very wealthy man who decided to turn his riches towards pool players. He promised funding for at least 2 solid years based on that wealth. He set up lavish venues and dazzled the world with amenities unseen before for the players. We had every expectation that it would continue. After all, he never posted for the first couple of events and we still got paid. He was a man of his word to the players.

People base their decisions on what THEY would do...how human behaviour averages out. Would our regional tour have stiffed the players and not paid the full $1000? Heck NO! The thought would never have even crossed our minds. And that's the approach most every pool player took when they joined the IPT. After all, if it wasn't legit, wouldn't this guy's name be mud in the pool and business world? Who would want to face that?

Well, evidently, there are some people who don't mind. They look it at maybe as a business failure, but not a personal or moral failure. They discount the damage placed on the player's lives, due to the expectations they set up.

When I was accepted into the IPT, I was ecstatic. That my husband was accepted too was a reason for celebration. We could fulfill our dream of travelling and playing pool together in huge tournaments. The reality is that I have not even recouped my travel expenses for 3 tournaments.

The reality is that I gave up a WPBA double qualifier spot (winning the tournament with 46 women from WA, OR, FL, Toronto, Vancouver BC and Calgary), due to the IPT schedule and taking too much time off work already, when now, there is no IPT schedule and I certainly could have used that spot.

And my losses are insignificant compared to everyone else's. The top 100 or so players in the world that were members are still hoping against hope that something can be salvaged - maybe a tour on a smaller scale and that at least we will receive a monthly stipend for services already rendered.

I'm talking about the huge depression that descended on pool players everywhere, causing many to give up the player's life, at least temporarily. And I'm talking about the daily, sometimes hourly shifts of emotion which we endured in the months following Reno. I'm talking about the huge dent in morale in the pool world in members, qualifiers, room owners, and many others who had attached some small dream to the IPT. By having the IPT become successful, the whole industry could have reaped rewards.

Now, we just feel used, abused, jaded, and like wrung-out dishrags to be discarded. Instead of a profession that my husband could be proud of that would give him validity in the one arena he has played in all his life, he is back to playing in weekly and weekend tournaments.

In the beginning KT said he didn't care who played and he said so when he said he would make Joe blow world champion. I don't think anyone needs to feel like they should have asked questions, it didn't matter. If you didn't want to play there were plenty who would take your place. Your only decision was to take a shot or maybe wish you had. Playing was the only rational choice the way it was being presented.

I didn't think it had a chance just due to the "It didn't make any sense" premise beyond just being charity for pool players by an angel such as you find in the arts. KT portrayed himself as such. If that was the truth then it would have made sense. Patrons don't mind losing money. In KT case, it turned out to be a lie. He didn't like losing money or didn't have the money to lose, maybe a little of both.

Either way, they players had no say in anything and never would have. All an agitator would have done was get themselves excluded, so no one made waves. What happened was going to happen no matter what because non of it made any sense from the start.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would that he could have been a Savior.

I think that KT had enough money to invest in the IPT for 2 years if he wanted to lose that much money.

The cards were dealt and not in his favor - though I believe that he is a loser but he can afford to be. The business model wasn't right - pool players and their fans can't support the IPT's vision. The poll in another thread indicates that those that remain have interest in a slimmed down IPT. Que sera sera - we watch with baited breath.

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:

The sad part is. I firmly believe that KT will get the players to line up again with alot more false promises. And even worse. alot of them will.....mike

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueball1950 said:
The sad part is. I firmly believe that KT will get the players to line up again with alot more false promises. And even worse. alot of them will.....mike

Why would he want to? What's in it for him? He will stay as far away from pool as he can get I am sure. There won't be any more KT pool tournaments big, small or otherwise, there is no money in it.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
sjm said:

I have the utmost respect for your comments, Stu. However, there is not much I can offer the sport anymore. For a long time I have wanted to step away from it, but I never could get myself out the door. I have now walked out the door and I don't see myself coming back any time soon. From now on I am just going to sit back and watch quietly. If I learned nothing else from the IPT fiasco, it was that my wisdom and leadership was not welcomed by the majority of players, nor was it respected at all. I also learned just how vicious some people could be towards others that had opposing points of view. With that type of atmosphere, I feel it is best for me to walk away with my head held high knowing that I did everything I could do. I am finding that as I get older that its easier to choose my battles much more carefully.

Frankly, I choose not to waste my time anymore with people that refuse to work towards making the sport prosperous and successful. I cannot put any more energy into that. This also goes for my instruction that I have provided for free via the internet for the past 12 years. IMO, its just not worth the hassle, and its just not worth the energy.

IMO, pool is like a ship at sea with absolutely no destination. The greed and the backstabbing by many within our industry is embarrassing, childish, and counterproductive. After 30 years, I can say with confidence that pool, the industry, the players, and the fans are happy with the way things are and always will be. If they were not comfortable then they would try to do something to change it. Obviously that is not the case or they would wake up every single day excited and motivated to positively promote the sport. That takes a backseat to greed, gambling, posturing and acting like misguided adoloscents. That is not a sweeping assessment - but the few that fit that description ruin it for everybody else.

I am now content with running my pool room, shooting pool every day, and supporting the sport on a local and regional level. That is the only participation the game will see from me in the future. Perhaps somewhere there is somebody with better ideas, better motivation, and a better support system that can lead pool into a future filled with prosperity. Whomever that may be, I wish them all the luck in the world. I know its not me.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
A little off character

but I hope KT does find a new way to keep the IPT running.

I mean sure I've had my criticisms but the IPT is an idea that when managed well could be successful.

I just wonder if KT would be too shabby and actually pull in same reputable names to manage the organization. Preferably people from a pool association and not his management team.

Isnt it what everyone wants.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
I have the utmost respect for your comments, Stu. However, there is not much I can offer the sport anymore. For a long time I have wanted to step away from it, but I never could get myself out the door. I have now walked out the door and I don't see myself coming back any time soon. From now on I am just going to sit back and watch quietly. If I learned nothing else from the IPT fiasco, it was that my wisdom and leadership was not welcomed by the majority of players, nor was it respected at all. I also learned just how vicious some people could be towards others that had opposing points of view. With that type of atmosphere, I feel it is best for me to walk away with my head held high knowing that I did everything I could do. I am finding that as I get older that its easier to choose my battles much more carefully.

Frankly, I choose not to waste my time anymore with people that refuse to work towards making the sport prosperous and successful. I cannot put any more energy into that. This also goes for my instruction that I have provided for free via the internet for the past 12 years. IMO, its just not worth the hassle, and its just not worth the energy.

IMO, pool is like a ship at sea with absolutely no destination. The greed and the backstabbing by many within our industry is embarrassing, childish, and counterproductive. After 30 years, I can say with confidence that pool, the industry, the players, and the fans are happy with the way things are and always will be. If they were not comfortable then they would try to do something to change it. Obviously that is not the case or they would wake up every single day excited and motivated to positively promote the sport. That takes a backseat to greed, gambling, posturing and acting like misguided adoloscents. That is not a sweeping assessment - but the few that fit that description ruin it for everybody else.

I am now content with running my pool room, shooting pool every day, and supporting the sport on a local and regional level. That is the only participation the game will see from me in the future. Perhaps somewhere there is somebody with better ideas, better motivation, and a better support system that can lead pool into a future filled with prosperity. Whomever that may be, I wish them all the luck in the world. I know its not me.

Thanks for the reply, Dave, and I understand your point of view and respect your choice to move on. Whatever happens, I wish you well.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Blackjack said:

The good part is that you did what you could do and now you can walk away with a clear conscience knowing that you tried. The degree of success achieved from your efforts was not up to you. Your job was to do what you could and you've done what you could do. Good for you Dave. We all know that you'd have preferred much different results but, again, the results were not up to you.

I've read your posts for months/years. You are a man of integrity and intelligence and as a pool fan I'm glad you tried. Regards, Jim

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Hi Linda, it takes a special, brave and sensative person to reveal even a little piece of their soul in public. I've always liked and respected those than can and do.

If there is one single person on this entire forum that has never made a major error in judging others that has resulted in similiar feelings of betrayal, despair and self doubt, he/she probably wouldn't be more than 12 years old.

The world is full of people that make others curse the day we meet them. KT is certainly one of those, and although he is a professional predator and destroyer of lives, the damage he does is small time compared to some of the other vultures out there. Some people marry those types and live their entire lives miserable and desperate, some pick incompetent surgeons that maime or kill them or their loved ones, others give their entire life savings to thieving money managers, and still others wind up working their entire lives in lousy jobs with miserable bosses, or have destructive business partners that tear apart their life's dreams, the nightmares are endless. Sure, KT lied, deceived, gave false hope and inflicted financial hardships on you and the other IPT players, but, you all survived just fine before KT came along and you'll all do just great after he's gone and this nightmare is over. You never really needed him and you never will. Thank God.

Linda, please do not think for a second that you did anything wrong, or deserved this except for, maybe, placing your trust in someone that has spent his entire life perfecting the art of getting thousands of unsuspecting people to trust him, simply to intentially betray them. And although expecting others to act the same as you would is idealistcaly admirable, it may be a little dangerous and unrealistic.

While there were things that should have and would have been standard in other industries, like organizing and hiring competent business and legal representation, the nature and history of professional pool was, and still is, missing these very important ingredients. Without these elements, history will certainly repeat itself, and other KT's will come along.

You have more than KT will ever have, you have friends, love, respect and
joy, these are things that KT with all of his money will never have. I understand Mike's feelings as well, but he has you, and that's pretty special. You both were, are, and will be just fine.

Good luck,

Jim

PS. KT is a disease that contaminates everything he touches and groveling places him in a even more powerful position. Better to make him irrelevant IMHO.

Last edited:

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
jimmyg said:
Hi Linda, it takes a special, brave and sensative person to reveal even a little piece of their soul in public. I've always liked and respected those than can and do.

If there is one single person on this entire forum that has never made a major error in judging others that has resulted in similiar feelings of betrayal, despair and self doubt, he/she probably wouldn't be more than 12 years old.

The world is full of people that make others curse the day we meet them. KT is certainly one of those, and although he is a professional predator and destroyer of lives, the damage he does is small time compared to some of the other vultures out there. Some people marry those types and live their entire lives miserable and desperate, some pick incompetent surgeons that maime or kill them or their loved ones, others give their entire life savings to thieving money managers, and still others wind up working their entire lives in lousy jobs with miserable bosses, or have destructive business partners that tear apart their life's dreams, the nightmares are endless. Sure, KT lied, deceived, gave false hope and inflicted financial hardships on you and the other IPT players, but, you all survived just fine before KT came along and you'll all do just great after he's gone and this nightmare is over. You never really needed him and you never will. Thank God.

Linda, please do not think for a second that you did anything wrong, or deserved this except for, maybe, placing your trust in someone that has spent his entire life perfecting the art of getting thousands of unsuspecting people to trust him, simply to intentially betray them. And although expecting others to act the same as you would is idealistcaly admirable, it may be a little dangerous and unrealistic.

While there were things that should have and would have been standard in other industries, like organizing and hiring competent business and legal representation, the nature and history of professional pool was, and still is, missing these very important ingredients. Without these elements, history will certainly repeat itself, and other KT's will come along.

You have more than KT will ever have, you have friends, love, respect and
joy, these are things that KT with all of his money will never have. I understand Mike's feelings as well, but he has you, and that's pretty special. You both were, are, and will be just fine.

Good luck,

Jim

PS. KT is a disease that contaminates everything he touches and groveling places him in a even more powerful position. Better to make him irrelevant IMHO.

Jimmy, thanks for the uplifting words. I feel blessed to call you friend. :)

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
macguy said:
Why would he want to? What's in it for him? He will stay as far away from pool as he can get I am sure. There won't be any more KT pool tournaments big, small or otherwise, there is no money in it.

MAC.... what i am trying to say is that IF KT tries to keep the IPT afloat, even with smaller tournaments. The players will follow him like little lost sheep hoping for the promises to come true that KT is Spewing......mike