Are some Pool players obsess with equipment?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
The play I normally play is closed for it annual two week sprucing up, repair, repainted, and about re everything else. So I drive over to where my buddy live, and we play in his little piece of paradise, that has only 8 Tables, where we have our 29.

One of the guy from where I live who is President of CLUB BMW (bit*ch, moan , and whine ) says some to me about we SHOULD have Diamonds like my buddies place. Sadly NOT, we got Brunswick Gold Crown II's.

Them he start on some rat about better lighting and better this and that. So I tell him to sell his house and move over here.

Maybe I recall playing at the Boys Club almost 60 year ago where the tables wobble, the cue were warped, ball had chips from bouncing on the floor, nothing ever got cleaned, and polished. But the kids stood in line for sometime more than an hour to Play Pool, were they dumb, or just happy with what the had?

I think sometime people become obsessed about nothing, and fail to realize they should be happy with what they have, and possibly being healthy enough to be able to ply Pool.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The play I normally play is closed for it annual two week sprucing up, repair, repainted, and about re everything else. So I drive over to where my buddy live, and we play in his little piece of paradise, that has only 8 Tables, where we have our 29.

One of the guy from where I live who is President of CLUB BMW (bit*ch, moan , and whine ) says some to me about we SHOULD have Diamonds like my buddies place. Sadly NOT, we got Brunswick Gold Crown II's.

Them he start on some rat about better lighting and better this and that. So I tell him to sell his house and move over here.

Maybe I recall playing at the Boys Club almost 60 year ago where the tables wobble, the cue were warped, ball had chips from bouncing on the floor, nothing ever got cleaned, and polished. But the kids stood in line for sometime more than an hour to Play Pool, were they dumb, or just happy with what the had?

I think sometime people become obsessed about nothing, and fail to realize they should be happy with what they have, and possibly being healthy enough to be able to ply Pool.

I ply pool all day long.

DeaconBlooze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The truth is that there is only a marginal benefit between the things you mention. Those are both solid tables.. going from one to the other might be different, but not really all that different in the grand scheme of things.

I play on an olhausen which a lot of people stick their nose up at. It was what I grew up on. I've played on others, and when I move, I'll probably get a diamond. It would be a luxury upgrade. I like the way they look, and they play the best, so why not.. Still, if the circumstances were different, or money was tight, I definitely wouldn't have a problem getting an "inferior" table to play on.

Most people simply aren't good enough that a difference in table is going to mean much. The ones that are can adjust. I like scotch, but I'll gladly drink my mcclelands the majority of the time, it's only when I get a taste of something better that I realize the difference. And even then, going back down to the mccleleands is an easy enough adjustment. Not as many people are super tasters as they'd have you believe, and most people would be embarrassed if they were to be given a blind test. The same would probably happen with pool...

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

When you talk I picture a cat walking across a keyboard for an extended period of time and autocorrect forces the random letter to form actual words.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
hem he start on some rat about better lighting and better this and that. So I tell him to sell his house and move over here.
Bruce's friend rats too much.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, some are. Some people think that anything less than the absolute best is beneath them.two examples:

1. A bar up my road held a tournament for the first time. A couple of guys from one of the better local league teams kept going on about "these tables just roll bad," " you guys should at least be using better cue balls if you're gonna hold tournaments," " blah blah blah." Neither of them won, btw.

2. About 6 months later, I was at a league match, was talking up a tournament I would be holding at the same bar mentioned above. The captain of the other team asked me what kind of tables were there. When I told him 3 7' Valleys, he went "7 footers?" And made a face. Seriously? Keep in mind, this bar is the only place in the area that has more than 2 tables (vast majority only have one), and they're all the same size.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excuses...

The pool hall in my hick town closed down 2 years ago. It had 7 nice Brunswick tables. Fortunately the owner has a Gold Crown IV and gives me free run on it whether he is there or not. Other then that I have to drive 50 miles to shoot on another friends table. So that leaves the local bar box tables that are small and in poor shape. I find I blame my looses on the lousy tables and balls. Then I have to remind myself that the guy that beat me is playing on the same table. Eventually if one plays long enough the best player shows up on top no matter what the gear..

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, but he's a thorn in some sides ;) But, man, I hope I don't get board with this thread :)

Boards are difficult to run thread through. But I'm sure case makers have figured this out. Whoops! Wait a minute -- does a warranty come with that? Only if Flowers are weaved through the board?

:p
-Sean

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Boards are difficult to run thread through. But I'm sure case makers have figured this out. Whoops! Wait a minute -- does a warranty come with that? Only if Flowers are weaved through the board?

-Sean

hopefully Mr. Wilson's head didn't just explode

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Bruce, I must have screwed up your Scrip.

Up it to, four Spell Checks and quit drinking that Piethon Joose.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you talk I picture a cat walking across a keyboard for an extended period of time and autocorrect forces the random letter to form actual words.

LMBFAO!!! I almost choked on that one. cleary, you're "clearly" one clever dude.