Garreth Potts

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope I got his name right. I have watched the Chinese 8 ball tournament the last 2 years, and am simply amazed at how good this guy is. Has he played or won any other tournaments? What's the opinion, how would he do if he played 10ball or straight pool? I'd sure like to see it.

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope I got his name right. I have watched the Chinese 8 ball tournament the last 2 years, and am simply amazed at how good this guy is. Has he played or won any other tournaments? What's the opinion, how would he do if he played 10ball or straight pool? I'd sure like to see it.

He's an English 8 Ball Champion.

Mole Eye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does he play in China exclusively? Seems like this tournament is the only time we hear him mentioned. Thanks for the info.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does he play in China exclusively? Seems like this tournament is the only time we hear him mentioned. Thanks for the info.

He's an English 8-ball Champion.

Freddie <~~~ I mean, he's a WEBF World Champion

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another guy that was great at Enlgish 8 Ball (with that toy looking 6' table) is Jayson Shaw. If Garreth plays like Jayson, he'll do pretty well with 8 10 9 ball.

And there is also a dude named Darren Apple-something who switched from English 8 ball to our games. I heard he is OK.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Here's a blurb about Gareth from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Potts

and here's a blog of Gareth's, including his thoughts after winning last year's Chinese 8-Ball event: http://garethpotts.com/ -- "Hollywood comes to China"

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Potts is an extraordinary cueist... He's also extremely boring to listen to. I watched one of his interviews and couldn't finish it. He's got a good gig going with the Joy tables I think though. Congrats to him.

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting that he uses classic snooker stance

why would it be interesting?
surely its not interesting at all as being from UK he had a prominent snooker background. Even tho played english 8 ball all the fundamentals stem from snooker typically, even in appleton, shaw, melling peach boyes burford etc all use the snooker stance albeit some of them have adapted over the years, but most of them like gray, appletton, boyes pettman still use it

Isaac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't know he has a snooker background. I thought he always played English 8 ball.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another guy that was great at Enlgish 8 Ball (with that toy looking 6' table) is Jayson Shaw. If Garreth plays like Jayson, he'll do pretty well with 8 10 9 ball.

no offence to Jayson fans but IMHO he plays above Jayson. Regarded by some as probably the best English 8 ball player for long time-probably one of best player of any type of 8ball now. He will do very well in American 8 ball. But 9b and 10b that is another different ball game

why would it be interesting?
surely its not interesting at all as being from UK he had a prominent snooker background. Even tho played english 8 ball all the fundamentals stem from snooker typically, even in appleton, shaw, melling peach boyes burford etc all use the snooker stance albeit some of them have adapted over the years, but most of them like gray, appletton, boyes pettman still use it
Yes he played with snooker cue in recent tourney and won

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He just lost. Didn't play very well compared to his normal that last set. Missed several balls he should have made.

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He has several instructional videos on youtube and he does some sort of coaching class with a group on there also. Whilst I think he isn't the best teacher ever he does have some very good info in there.

E8B has produced some great players. Gaz is probably the best at that game I've ever seen or played against. Selby and Appleton are close runners up but Gareth can move onto big things with his ability. He's played in some big money matches for tens of thousands of pounds...if he were in America it would be more no doubt. The English are tight with their money so that 20k match could've been 50k in the states. I'm not sure how much money there is in C8B throughout the season. I do think it wouldn't hurt him to play some 9 and 10 ball though and make the trip for the very biggest tournaments of the year in America.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the problems with full time snooker players coming over to pool is getting used to the break in 9 and 10 ball, because you don't break hard in snooker.

But I think the transition would be easier for someone like Potts, since he's already used to breaking hard in C8B due to the 3-point break rule.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson Shaw and Gareth Potts come from two different disciplines of English 8 ball so I would be surprised to hear they have ever played each other. That said, the professional tour has swapped to black ball now so if Jayson was still playing that discipline, they would perhaps have played..

Potts has retired from E8B at the highest level and plays only C8B.

I asked him about American disciplines the last time I saw him (last Jan at the E8B professional world championships) and his view was it was a waste of time considering the amount of money was was earning from C8B where in China they are treated like proper celebrities.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
another pretty ok 8 ball player.....Mark Selby:thumbup:

Potts is frickin awesome

Potts and Appleton. It's a toss of a coin which of them is the greatest E8B player of all time.

Also in the mix, players from the past, Ross McInnes and Keith Brewer.

Potts played a bit of snooker though not at a high level. HIs first passion was pool and he played it from a very very young age. His first major title was the junior world title in 2000. I first saw him play in 2001. Still a junior. He was not allowed to play in the main event at the time, due to it being still sponsored by Embassy at the time.

Once, years ago, he played Selby a frame of snooker at Great Yarmouth at one of the national tournaments. I was not there but it was widely reported be broke and cleared up.. ;)