DRESS CODES - in general

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Hey everyone, I'm back for another installment of "why do we dress like waiters?"

personalized-service-restaurant-waiter.jpg

With the "world tournament" under way, as a viewer I wonder why on gods green earth are pool players dressed like this? Vest, dress shoes, button up shirt, slacks... Are they part time limo drivers? They are close to the airport I guess...

Just makes me wonder how pool ended up like this. I know, few tournaments require a vest. Ultimate 10ball comes to mind, but we ran them off... But the dress shoes! THE DRESS SHOES!!!!

Every single professional tournament seems to think a pool player should be wearing dress shoes. And why? Why would you even consider calling pool a sport... a sport played in dress shoes. Pool is constant walking. Always on your feet. So why wouldn't you wear shoes that are appropriate for that? In sports, uniforms/clothing should improve ones performance. Shoes are not an exception. Do you think dress shoes improve your pool game?

So time to compare pool to our brother sport, GOLF. Pool has been gravitating towards golf clothing, thankfully. The PGA dress code: "Players shall present a neat appearance in both clothing and personal grooming. Clothing worn by players shall be consistent with currently accepted golf fashion. The tournament director shall interpret this regulation subject to the approval of the commissioner."

Look at a typical golf shoe. Sadly Rory McIllroy can win the Masters on live tv wearing a shoe like this, but it would be considered unprofessional to wear a similar style shoe in a pool tournament?

MqQVrm7.jpg

The dresscode war is real. Lets improve this game.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The dresscode, like many other things in this sport, is stuck in the dark ages and there are too many old timers fighting to keep it that way. While I do agree that dressing like a waiter with a full vest and dress attire is silly, I don't think players should be wearing LED light up Jordans and matching track wear. Even with the vest/slacks dress code in place, I've seen some players that look like a bum. There was a video with Stevie Moore that comes to mind.

IMO, players should be forced to wear:
Full Length Pants
Collared Shirts
Comfortable Shoes

There is nothing wrong with either players attire, in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8gY5QzX7oM

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry, cleary, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. You're fixating on "dress shoes" as if they're "automatically not fit for walking around a lot / only worn for looks" or something. I wear suit and tie to work when I'm in NYC, and I do a lot of walking there. I mean, a LOT of walking. I eschew the smelly subways and the rat-race jockeying for a taxi, and take to my feet when I need to get somewhere -- within reason, of course. I'll walk up to ten city blocks with no problem. (And I have -- when walking from my company's main office at 2 Penn Plaza, down to another office at Chelsea Piers.)

Why am I saying this? Because you can get some very nice dress shoes that are also very comfortable and made for walking. Rockports are a good example -- I put many miles on mine. LL Bean also has some very stylish and practical footwear as well.

Not everything has to look like a sneaker "to be comfortable."

And honestly, getting down to brass tacks, there are some of us that don't think a clean T-shirt (or even golf/polo shirt) with jeans and sneakers constitute "looking sharp." The idea behind the World Tournament -- as it has throughout its existence -- is to have a gentlemans/ladies air. Not crack 'em up / bang 'em up.

Just my $.02,
-Sean

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On sneakers being acceptable - I personally agree with you cleary, but outside of the US white sports shoes are not perceived the same way as they are here. They're perceived almost like wearing slippers or sandals. Perhaps that's the difference with tournaments outside the US, and maybe even in the US with so many international players.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Sorry, cleary, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. You're fixating on "dress shoes" as if they're "automatically not fit for walking around a lot / only worn for looks" or something. I wear suit and tie to work when I'm in NYC, and I do a lot of walking there. I mean, a LOT of walking. I eschew the smelly subways and the rat-race jockeying for a taxi, and take to my feet when I need to get somewhere -- within reason, of course. I'll walk up to ten city blocks with no problem. (And I have -- when walking from my company's main office at 2 Penn Plaza, down to another office at Chelsea Piers.)

Why am I saying this? Because you can get some very nice dress shoes that are also very comfortable and made for walking. Rockports are a good example -- I put many miles on mine. LL Bean also has some very stylish and practical footwear as well.

Not everything has to look like a sneaker "to be comfortable."

And honestly, getting down to brass tacks, there are some of us that don't think a clean T-shirt (or even golf/polo shirt) with jeans and sneakers constitute "looking sharp." The idea behind the World Tournament -- as it has throughout its existence -- is to have a gentlemans/ladies air. Not crack 'em up / bang 'em up.

Just my $.02,
-Sean

I also wear dress shoes to work. I'm also not playing a sport at work. Looking "sharp" is for the after party, not playing a sport. Golfer's look very nice, comfortable and prepared to preform.

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
On sneakers being acceptable - I personally agree with you cleary, but outside of the US white sports shoes are not perceived the same way as they are here. They're perceived almost like wearing slippers or sandals. Perhaps that's the difference with tournaments outside the US, and maybe even in the US with so many international players.

The times, they are a changing.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
The U.S. no longers owns pool. All the growth in pool is overseas, especially in developing countries.

And they don't dress like slobs.

When a society goes from poor to middle class, it predictibly does two things: 1) improves its diet with a lot more protein, and 2) upgrades its attire. Wearing nice clothes is a point of pride in a formerly-poor country. They look at us and think we're in decline. In this case we really are "the ugly American."

Buy a pair of Rockports, or Clark's or one of the other dozens of comfortable shoes.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
The U.S. no longers owns pool. All the growth in pool is overseas, especially in developing countries.

And they don't dress like slobs.

When a society goes from poor to middle class, it predictibly does two things: 1) improves its diet with a lot more protein, and 2) upgrades its attire. Wearing nice clothes is a point of pride in a formerly-poor country. They look at us and think we're in decline. In this case we really are "the ugly American."

Buy a pair of Rockports, or Clark's or one of the other dozens of comfortable shoes.

Do golfer's dress like slobs? Just wondering.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
At Steineay, trying to order dinner but all the waiters are playing pool. What the...????

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Do golfer's dress like slobs? Just wondering.

When was the last time you saw a pro golfer wearing shorts at a tour event?

Answer: Never have and never will. It's against the rules. Long pants only. Collared shirt only. Golf tournament in Chicago in July in 90-degree heat and 90% humidity? Too bad. You want a shot at the money, you play by the rules.

Bottom line is that if pool has any professional future, it is overseas. That's where the money is. And they require at least business casual dress attire.

If you want to play in the China/Japan/etc Open, or the World Championships in the Middle East you're not going to be able to wear baggy shorts and a tank top. They probably wouldn't even let someone in as a spectator dressed like that.

Last edited:

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the absolute worst anyone should be dressed at any"real event" is business casual
slacks and polo or buttondown.its not the dark ages its meant to look neat and proffesional.(a little consistent)andrews outfits are great but if i didnt know him and i payed for a ticket to get in a venue to see proffesionals i would not expect to see t-shirts,basketball shorts,fitted baseball hats..its meant to be looked on as a marketable sport the ghetto look just isnt going to cut it.(not speaking of andrew btw)think of yourself
when you speak to the manager of almost any middle to upper echelon retail chain(other than a skater store or surfing place)what do you see?it doesnt make them any smarter or helpful but at least they appear presentable.now picture someone with a fitted and some sweat shorts or hanging jeans and sneakers...you perception of that person is gonna take a major hit before they get to say 2 words.jeans and sneakers are meant to be street clothes not business or "professional" uniforms.i would offer up to put guys in uniforms but
its not a team sport-shoes?tons of normal comfortable shoes are out there that fit the bill just fine,rory does wear cool looking sneakers/shoes but i dont think shane or johnny has to shoot a ten ball on a slippery hill.so the shoes arent sloppy theyre just not appropriate for the indoors

Last edited:

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
When was the last time you saw a pro golfer wearing shorts at a tour event?

Answer: Never have and never will. It's against the rules. Long pants only. Collared shirt only. Golf tournament in Chicago in July in 90-degree heat and 90% humidity? Too bad. You want a shot at the money, you play by the rules.

Forrest Fezler in 1983 became the first U.S. Open golfer to play in shorts. Fezler changed (in a portable restroom) from traditional slacks to blue golf shorts prior to the tournament’s final hole, then played the 18th in shorts to the applause of many spectators and fellow players. Fezler had stated publicly that he wanted to challenge the USGA’s unwritten ban on wearing shorts.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
the absolute worst anyone should be dressed at any"real event" is business casual
slacks and polo or buttondown.its not the dark ages its meant to look neat and proffesional.(a little consistent)andrews outfits are great but if i didnt know him and i payed for a ticket to get in a venue to see proffesionals i would not expect to see t-shirts,basketball shorts,fitted baseball hats..its meant to be looked on as a marketable sport the ghetto look just isnt going to cut it.(not speaking of andrew btw)think of yourself
when you speak to the manager of almost any middle to upper echelon retail chain(other than a skater store or surfing place)what do you see?it doesnt make them any smarter or helpful but at least they appear presentable.now picture someone with a fitted and some sweat shorts or hanging jeans and sneakers...you perception of that person is gonna take a major hit before they get to say 2 words.jeans and sneakers are meant to be street clothes not business or "professional" uniforms.i would offer up to put guys in uniforms but
its not a team sport-shoes?tons of normal comfortable shoes are out there that fit the bill just fine,rory does wear cool looking sneakers/shoes but i dont think shane or johnny has to shoot a ten ball on a slippery hill.

It's not about me Scotty it's about the game. I'm not playing in these pro events. I played in one and dresses within the rules. But it's not about being within rules, it's about changing the way professionals look for the better. If it's a sport, treat it like a sport and dress for a sport. It starts with the shoes!!!

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not about me Scotty it's about the game. I'm not playing in these pro events. I played in one and dresses within the rules. But it's not about being within rules, it's about changing the way professionals look for the better. If it's a sport, treat it like a sport and dress for a sport. It starts with the shoes!!!

You're fixating on the shoes again, as if the environment of a golfer is the same as a pool player. They are not the same at all. The worst a pool player has to walk on is a bare concrete floor, but most of the time, it's carpet. This is a far cry from the environment that golfers are in.

If I were you, cleary, I would lose the golfer analogy, because it doesn't work for your cause. At all.

You want a better analogy? How about darts?

http://ndadarts.com/team-dart-rules/dress-code

Even there, that's league format. Championship format is entirely different.

-Sean

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Bottom line is that if pool has any professional future, it is overseas. That's where the money is. And they require at least business casual dress attire.

If you want to play in the China/Japan/etc Open, or the World Championships in the Middle East you're not going to be able to wear baggy shorts and a tank top. They probably wouldn't even let someone in as a spectator dressed like that.

There is a GIANT different between dressing like a butler and dress in baggy shorts and a tank top in a professional event. I don't know how you took what I said as that… Golfers dress great, head to toe. They wear clothing that's designed to preform, designed to sweat, designed to stretch. They wear shoes that are comfortable, stylish and designed for a SPORT!

"Business casual"? They're playing a SPORT not making TPS reports!

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
If I were you, cleary, I would lose the golfer analogy, because it doesn't work for your cause. At all.

You want a better analogy? How about darts?

http://ndadarts.com/team-dart-rules/dress-code

Even there, that's league format. Championship format is entirely different.

-Sean

Far more walking involved in pool than darts. Wear a pedometer and play in a tournament, it's further than 18 holes.

And yea… darts. Way to shoot for the stars! Golf as players who are known specifically because of the way they dress…

fowler-rickie-masters-2013-640x360.jpg

^He has won 1 PGA tour event, ever. But nobody knows who he is…

Good luck at dart league.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Far more walking involved in pool than darts. Wear a pedometer and play in a tournament, it's further than 18 holes.

And yea… darts. Way to shoot for the stars! Golf as players who are known specifically because of the way they dress…

[...Rickie Fowler image deletia...]

^He has won 1 PGA tour event, ever. But nobody knows who he is…

Good luck at dart league.

Not in a dart league, smartass. I brought that up as an example of a similar indoor sport with the same "under foot" environment that a pool player encounters, which is far different from a golfer. So you think playing pool is just as strenuous and arduous as playing 18 holes of golf? Your pedometer may make that claim, but I highly doubt that's true. Sounds to me like the stride adjustment on your pedometer is way off.

This is a question of an indoor sport. You're advocating outdoor wear and an outdoor sport (golf), just because you want to wear sneakers for an indoor sport. It doesn't work.

-Sean