Why does straight pool make me dog it?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem, I do have some passion for the game. I understand that their are indeed rules to obey, there are a few on this thread that seem to understand I am attempting be positive and not argue. I am a professional 14.1 player and Its comforting to me to read that my posts are not totally ignored. I'm not above learning myself - even from a player that is not a pro. Seperated instead of breaking is very good. I could separate' :) bread with you lou, and Cameron of this I'm certain.

You have an interesting writing style. You don't spell much for shit :smile:, but you are very keen on subtle differences in the meaning of words. I'm glad you agree with separating and not breaking clusters!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Sorry to hear you type that Bill, we can agree to disagree. Sounds like you have the Old battle ax mentality.

Top Definition
battle axe

A fierce, unpleasant older woman with strong opinions.

Ms. Henry is a real battle axe!
Just ignore that old bird, she's a battle axe.

#***** #old maid #haughty #foul #shrewd #stick in the mud

Danny you better go back ta school.

You chose the wrong sex with your word choice.
At 6'6'' 210 I have an adams apple. :thumbup:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I practice straight pool alone

i find that shots I make at one pocket are tough at straight pool
I miss easy shots and lose my confidence

the more i practice the worse I seem to get

it has not improved my one pocket playing

I love one pocket, and I have to say that practicing 14.1 helps my one hole game tremendously. Once you get to where you can frequently run 30 balls or more in straights, you'll find yourself running out 8, 9, or 10 balls quite often when your one-pocket opponent screws up and leaves you an open opportunity.

After studying Danny's 352 ball run dvd, I learned some things about my own 14.1 game. Years ago I felt like I hit more runs in the 50's and 60's, and occasionally into the 70's. But then my 14.1 sparring buddy moved out of state and I quit playing the game. He moved about 5 years ago, and not until this last year did I start getting back into the game. What I'm doing different now is trying too hard to play perfect patterns instead of loosening up and just shooting balls in a methodical order, taking care of groups without overanalyzing 4 or 5 ball patterns.

Anyway, my run stoppers are rattlers that I surely must take my eye off of every now and then. It bites to be on a good run and then hit a shot a touch too firm into a corner pocket facing and leave it hanging there in the pocket. The pockets are 4-3/8" with 147° facings....too tough to slack off on any shot, regardless of how easy it appears. I thought about loosening them up, making them easier, but I think I'll work on my focus instead.

Example: https://youtu.be/3bggwEO0jaI

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Top Definition
battle axe

A fierce, unpleasant older woman with strong opinions.

Ms. Henry is a real battle axe!
Just ignore that old bird, she's a battle axe.

#***** #old maid #haughty #foul #shrewd #stick in the mud

Danny you better go back ta school.

You chose the wrong sex with your word choice.
At 6'6'' 210 I have an adams apple. :thumbup:

Ah, but he didn't call you a battle axe, did he? He said you have the old battle axe mentality. That is different.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I think straight pool is great for all pool games, and I'd think especially one pocket, though I'm far from an expert at that game. It teaches you to read the stack, how to open clusters, how to play tight position, patterns..

I strongly disagree with the sentiment that practising by yourself won't improve your game. Practising by yourself is when you can really focus on your fundamentals, and above all experiment. How are you going to learn new shots without experimenting and trying them out in practise? You can't just watch a difficult shot in a match and then instantly know how to shoot it. If you can, you are the greatest pool talent of all time! Yes, you can learn from watching others, but it's much like math. Watching a guy solve math problems is well and good, but you need to solve some yourself before you are ready for the test.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That's got to be the shortest video in the history of Youtube! lol Of course the shot you missed is difficult, being jacked up on the rail. I think these shots are made more difficult because we tend to hit them harder than necessary. We're hitting low so we are now hitting a draw shot so we think "shoot harder." Well that's my theory anyway.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, but he didn't call you a battle axe, did he? He said you have the old battle axe mentality. That is different.

Plus, the number one definition I get is, "a large broad-bladed ax used in ancient warfare." This seems more along the lines of what Danny was talking about if you look at the context of the discussion. "Going to battle" trying to run balls instead of letting the happy little balls be your friends. :love:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
I think straight pool is great for all pool games, and I'd think especially one pocket, though I'm far from an expert at that game. It teaches you to read the stack, how to open clusters, how to play tight position, patterns..

I strongly disagree with the sentiment that practising by yourself won't improve your game. Practising by yourself is when you can really focus on your fundamentals, and above all experiment. How are you going to learn new shots without experimenting and trying them out in practise? You can't just watch a difficult shot in a match and then instantly know how to shoot it. If you can, you are the greatest pool talent of all time! Yes, you can learn from watching others, but it's much like math. Watching a guy solve math problems is well and good, but you need to solve some yourself before you are ready for the test.

I agree. Good honest practice on your own is a must. So is watching and learning from other players, both above AND below your own skill level. I was giving snare drum lessons to a teenage boy a couple of years ago. Every week we'd have to spend the first 10 or 15 minutes of the lesson rehashing things he forgot from the week before. He simply never practiced on his own time. Eventually he decided he'd never be a great drummer and I never saw him again. People say, "Wow! How do you do that?" And it doesn't matter if their talking about math, music, or pool....when you tell them they have to work at it, that's usually the end of their enthusiasm.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
That's got to be the shortest video in the history of Youtube! lol Of course the shot you missed is difficult, being jacked up on the rail. I think these shots are made more difficult because we tend to hit them harder than necessary. We're hitting low so we are now hitting a draw shot so we think "shoot harder." Well that's my theory anyway.

Lol.....yes, very short! It's because I cut it in order to slow it down and analyze it with coach's eye, which I did. I should've uploaded the slow mo analysis of it, but I still get upset when I watch it!! Lol

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol.....yes, very short! It's because I cut it in order to slow it down and analyze it with coach's eye, which I did. I should've uploaded the slow mo analysis of it, but I still get upset when I watch it!! Lol

Did the analysis teach you anything? Maybe not the best shot angle. Could be a lot of things happening.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Did the analysis teach you anything? Maybe not the best shot angle. Could be a lot of things happening.

I was stubborn, out of line, and tried fixing it from a jacked up position. Lol. I was analyzing to see exactly where the ob hit on that facing. It was a stupid shot where I was trying to hold a certain angle for drawing the CB off the rail and around that stripe. It didn't work. Another 1/16 of an inch probably would've accomplished what I had in mind. But looking at the shot again I could've rolled forward a little instead of sticking to some preformed pattern that I had already planned out in my head.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
No worries Bill

Your dissection of the English language is....:killingme::slap:

No worries Bill, I too am over 6' and lengthy foot and Adams apple as well - you were and probly still are a great player. I need not go back to school - they mostly teach em how to be Coward Puppet techno spies anyhue now uh daisy's. I did not call you a battle axe, just agree to disagree with, if you ever lookin for 14.1 action I'm yer huckleberry - I'll bet all the cool water in China I can dig up:) me backer is uncle sam.
Also not the greatest at spell check, spacial relations although - is up there on top shelf. While I feel I need a life psychologist at times in this crazy united surveillancesesss' of America - I feel I would make a great sports pschologist. Can you dig? Now don't lose your bigfoot status Bill - that is kinda important.

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Your dissection of the English language is....:killingme::slap:

It's called reading. You should try it some time. With some practise you may graduate to actually using words to express your thoughts and opinions, rather than animated characters. But thank you for offering your kind criticism, Professor Emoji.

I have a free lesson for you as well. Please read the following statement:
"He had the mentality of a beaten dog."
Then answer the following question:
"Does the subject in question have to be a dog, meaning that he belongs to the species Canis familiaris?"

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a free lesson for you as well. Please read the following statement:
"He had the mentality of a beaten dog."
Then answer the following question:
"Does the subject in question have to be a dog, meaning that he belongs to the species Canis familiaris?"

If I may, African or European?

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Bigfoot

Want it stated for the record I have competed against Bill years ago and sweated his pool action more than once. Even though we differ in opinions bout what helps to improve - he is a gentleman to compete against. Plus he is a world class player ( champion caliber without doubt). Never sar him act belligerent or arrogant in any way and really I would consider him a true gentleman of our sport. I would separate bread with you as well Bigfoot' and was not making any connatations in regards to you and the Ol battle ax female (never heard bout her till now). I happen to own a handmade tomahawk myself and would be fibbin if I said I had no Warrior spirit in my blood.

I just prefer Dan's Bob Ross analogy over the battles. not anti-military either just more into the happy trees than art of war. Capiche.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
No worries Bill, I too am over 6' and lengthy foot and Adams apple as well - you were and probly still are a great player. I need not go back to school - they mostly teach em how to be Coward Puppet techno spies anyhue now uh daisy's. I did not call you a battle axe, just agree to disagree with, if you ever lookin for 14.1 action I'm yer huckleberry - I'll bet all the cool water in China I can dig up:) me backer is uncle sam.
Also not the greatest at spell check, spacial relations although - is up there on top shelf. While I feel I need a life psychologist at times in this crazy united surveillancesesss' of America - I feel I would make a great sports pschologist. Can you dig? Now don't lose your bigfoot status Bill - that is kinda important.

The only game at my age I'm willing I match up with those 20 years my younger is one pocket. Hope your well. He'll we've been together enough over the past 30+ years, I could never ''but enjoy'' your company, as always.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
The only game at my age I'm willing I match up with those 20 years my younger is one pocket. Hope your well. He'll we've been together enough over the past 30+ years, I could never ''but enjoy'' your company, as always.

I play it real well and will be in olathe this nov for the one pocket event. me backer as I said is uncle Sam, he won't let me bet real high - but he keeps me in action. Kinda thankful for that if you know what I mean. uncle Sam wants you Bigfoot'.:)

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Walk-in in wilderness lookin for bigfoot

Sorry Bill but you probly should not have mentioned bout matchin up in one pocket. Now I'm going to make a counter offer as I feel more prepared than you are. I have acquired another backer he is not a coward spy like uncle Sam is. I can give you 8-7 on my break and even steven on yours there in olathe. Its not nine ball Bill and they are real one pocket tables. I have not seen your one pocket or straight pool but it looks like you brought the warrior out in me. Tournament at shooters starts Nov. 16 - im only 6'1" and 150 but I love a good spar now and again. I can be there a day earlier if you want to check out MY one hole game - just let me know if your interested. To be be twenty years older than me would put you at 65, I did not think you were that old? That way we can really see what's more important being well practiced or action oriented. I call you out as I know that you are a gentleman to compete against. I will warn you (like the battle axers often do) my company might be tough action in one pocket - but as you know I pull zero shark moves. Cannot spot you much as I have respect for your game. So i think that's a check to ya and world pool tour Bill. I have been knowing you for a while now and so I figure we can keep the bet friendly, if I lacked respect for you I would offer a number. I have plenty of respect so I will leave the offer open to you and you can pm me if your planning on attending the event. Even if you no want to play again me at one hole - as you know Danny and Evelyn run a great tournament even though they allow jump cues in one pocket:-(. My only stipulation is no pogo sticks in one pocket). Adios bigfoot. Oh I play 3 cushion also.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Looks like the happy tree ran off the action once again. Not always happy, sometimes big brother and patriot acters' shake me up - bad. I'm aTI:-(. This may not be pool related but can anyone with some sense explain me one thing. If we're born free into this great nation under God - when they say freedom is not free - at what point or age do we lose our freedom? You see what happens when they start wolfin at me, it brings out out the darker side. " I know he's a wolf grandma - said little red riding hood - but he smells so good" Burma shave.

Last edited: