Bringing Back Balk-Line Billiards...

Fox523

Registered
I am wondering if by introducing new players to the other disciplines like Libre (free game or straight rail), Cadre (balk-line) and cushion caroms, could these other games be used to help support and grow 3-cushion in the USA?

If it can be helpful, why not start organizing a few amateur straight rail and balk-line tournaments?

In pocket billiards terms, starting a new player out on 3-cushion seems like the equivalent of starting a new pool player out on one-pocket or banks instead of 8-ball or basic pocket billiards. Unless they are a natural player, have an unnatural drive to succeed or excellent instruction, it can be too frustrating to be fun for most new players.

tiger37373

3 Cushion Enthusiast
Silver Member
I think you're on the right path. I have been planning to cater tournaments for our straight rail players, soon. Just waiting for a little more interest. We only have about six players right now, but the Viet crowd is growing.

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
I agree that it might be a good idea to promote the smaller game disciplines. I think the reason Korea has so many good three cushion players now is because they have a very large four ball straight rail base.

If I were to use a balkline stencil and mark up one of the local tables I play on do you know how much trouble I would get into?:D

I like the stencil Caudron uses in "The Master of Billiards" by Kozoom. I tried to find the equivalent product on a Dutch billiard site but it was 100Euro. I am going to see if any of my friends got nephews or nieces in woodshop that could make it for me.

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The game is still fun to play, but I don't think you could pay people to watch it for more than 10 minutes.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
I like what I am reading!

The day the instructor teaches the young-ins the small games of carom will be the day carom billiards in the US will plant the seed to become Three-Cushion Billiard threats. I hope to become one of those instructors in the future. For now, I am going to stick with my studies in college. :(

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I am wondering if by introducing new players to the other disciplines like Libre (free game or straight rail), Cadre (balk-line) and cushion caroms, could these other games be used to help support and grow 3-cushion in the USA?

If it can be helpful, why not start organizing a few amateur straight rail and balk-line tournaments?

In pocket billiards terms, starting a new player out on 3-cushion seems like the equivalent of starting a new pool player out on one-pocket or banks instead of 8-ball or basic pocket billiards. Unless they are a natural player, have an unnatural drive to succeed or excellent instruction, it can be too frustrating to be fun for most new players.

this guy gets it

WHY DONT THE REST OF YOU??!!

this is what i been saying yrs before i found this thread

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
thats why im doing what i am

promoting libre, balkline, 1 cushion

tonight at my place guys are coming over for 47.2
who knows how long or if anyone in the us is playing this

if anyone needs a table marker, i have one and iknow a good wood worker that can make one from mine

28471397_10209350492033855_7124805302112818050_n.jpg

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For one, I am loving what you are doing, _sur, and it all starts with ONE. One at a time. And then help it grow.

Please keep sharing and promoting - especially in the Main section where the members and guests most frequent - and are looking for NEW games to play.

For once and for all, folks, it’s NOT about how fun or captivating or attention-getting these (or ANY) games are TOO WATCH!

It’s about playing the games.

None of us “play” so someone else can “watch”. Unless I’m the only one with a sane and reasonable mind

Let’s PLAY!

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A top flight pool player can make the transition to 3-c without having started balkline/ libre .

I believe that Blomdahl started out playing Snooker.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
A top flight pool player can make the transition to 3-c without having started balkline/ libre .

I believe that Blomdahl started out playing Snooker.

yes top players of anything can manage

for the beginners, and noivces, not so much
which is what we need to grow carom back in the us, along with 8 and 9ft tables to start them on

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
For one, I am loving what you are doing, _sur, and it all starts with ONE. One at a time. And then help it grow.

Please keep sharing and promoting - especially in the Main section where the members and guests most frequent - and are looking for NEW games to play.

For once and for all, folks, it’s NOT about how fun or captivating or attention-getting these (or ANY) games are TOO WATCH!

It’s about playing the games.

None of us “play” so someone else can “watch”. Unless I’m the only one with a sane and reasonable mind

Let’s PLAY!

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i asked another french youtuber to add english subtitles to his training vids which look quite informative, hes on board and youll see them soon as he uploads them with the subtiles

dug1903

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with all that has been said. Starting of with 'easier' games is a good idea. But you can't play any carom game if there are no tables to play on.
It took me and a few others a coupla of years of gentle prodding to the owner of a local room to put one in. He kept telling me "nobody plays Caroms"." It won't make any money". I kept telling him the players are out there with no place to play.
Well, they finally put one in and it is being played on almost every time I go there. (They could do a better job with maintenance but that's for another thread.)
To me that's the other side of trying to grow the game. Table accessibility.
Just my 2 cents. Thanks